Heresy problem

bryan750

Just purchased a pair of heresys off of ebay and 1 of the speakers causes the protection circuit of my receiver to come on.I get a little sound then the proetction circuit kicks on ,any ideas which componet of the speaker would cause this i am leaning toward the crossover but i am not sure yet.I took the back off,no loose connections any ideas?

Have you had this problem with this amp and other speakers ?

Have you checked to eliminate the possibility of a stray wire shorting from + to - on that channel ?

Have you tried switching the cables from one speaker to the other ? Did the problem follow the switch ?

Report back and I think we will be able to help you isolate the problem.

There are a number of forum folks who do diaphragm replacement on tweeters, but I am not sure about the K55 midrange driver. You might give BEC (Bob Crites) a holler in PM or email and ask him about it. It is seldom much more than a diaphragm that is the problem on either the K77 OR the K55. They are pretty tough units, otherwise. Diaphragm costs vary depending on who you get one from. The forum folks will likely give you the option of having it repaired by them or walking you through the process of doing it yourself...as that seems to historically be the norm on this forum. One can't be much luckier than to have a group like this forum's members around in a Klipsch time of need!

Hey John,

What is this with the WalkMan. I don't get it. Also, recall we shouldn't be sexist here. It is a WalkPerson. Smile.

I was wondering why a blown midrange driver should cause a problem for the amp. Then I recalled what I've been passing along from time to time, which originated from one of our moderators years ago. Probably Bob G.

This arose when some board member disconnect a woofer for the purpose of running some test.

Bob G. pointed out that when you have a woofer fed with a second order crossover, and remove the woofer (or any other driver, by extension), there IS a problem. The second order crossover circuit is a capacitor and inductor in series, set up with the resistance ® of the speaker driver.

If it is a high pass, the driver ® is across the inductor; if it is a low pass, the driver ® is across the capacitor.

The problem is that without the R, the crossover becomes a pure series L - C circuit. This has a big dip in impedance at an elecrical resonant frequency. So at some frequency (which depends on the L and C value) the amp sees a dead short. At least it goes down to near the resistance of the L.

But looking at the Heresy problem above, I was scratching my head. My recall is that the mid in the Heresy has only a first order high pass crossover, with no L. It is only fed by a capacitor. Nope, can't be that sort of thing.

But then the lightbulb went on. The autotransformer will function as an inductor when there is no resistive load on it.

Unfortunately I don't have the set up here to test my theory. None the less, it seems well founded.

Best,

Gil

I bet you're right! Some Klipsch schematics specify an inductance across the autoformer, ususlly 2.7 mH.

Gil, can you make it to Indy this year? I hope so. The array of Listening rooms idea came from your speakers that we didn't get to hear.

I have every intention of being there.

BTW, I still have some plastic cups which you left behind. For the benefit of others here, John traveled north on his Triumph bike and then bought us a picnic in town. Such a good guy.

Gil