For Sale: NOSvalves Scott 355 & Dynaco ST-70

kjohnsonhp

Scott 355 pre-amp w/phono and tuner with wood case. The excellent condition unit has new signal caps installed by Craig of NOSvalves.

Dynaco ST-70 amp. This EL-34 tube amp has been fully restored by Craig with a new modified driver board and audiophile components.

The price is $1195 for the pair plus shipping.

I'll add pictures shortly.

Buying stock units and then having them upgraded is more expensive and I certainly have more invested. They are fully functional.

Email kjohnsonhp@comcast.net

I have a 5.1 multipurpose system and with the addition of an HTPC and HDTV Comcast box I have struggled to easily connect and switch between all the gear with a two channel amp and pre-amp. It also complicates my family using the system.

I think I would be happier with the tube gear in just pure 2-channel mode, but having two systems isn't in my future.

I'm looking at a pre/pro and MC amp setup like Parasound HALO, Onix Emotiva, B&K Ref 50, Anthem AVM20, etc. The HALO and Emotiva seem the most interesting. Most of my auditions have actually been with a Krell Showcase setup but they are more expensive.

I want HDTV component switching (could use a $300 box), 5.1 movie and MC music, phono, and CD. I have only one 1080i component connection on my Mitsu and I have a HDTV box and HTPC w/component. My audio sources are Denon 2900 and MMF-5.

I can't afford to keep the 2-channel gear and buy the moder HT electronics.

I figure I got to make compromises with this multi-purpose system. One day I'll build a 2-channel only system.

I have been listening to my new/used KSP 400's with a Technics DD mosfet receiver that I bought about 3 years ago (just before Panasonic dropped the Technics logo) and haven't used , in a 2-channel configuration. I'm wondering why I need my tube equipment.

Of course I'm the type that primarily enjoys listening. Not collecting. Good luck to you.

Keith

KJOHN;

The Cornwalls will not sound the same.

PM Marksdad he bought the B&K receiver. He seemed to have very good success.

I spent TOO MUCH Money on HT from 1998 to 2002.

It is a slippery slope and can be counter to fine music reproduction.

I know how you feel.

Luckily I have 2 component inputs on my Toshiba HDTV.

Having only one is a bummer. I only have one coaxial digital input on my preamp; a severe limitation.

Going a bit off-topic in the middle of a thread (so unusual for ME), am I the only one who, when they see the letters "SS" initially thinks "stainless steel"? I mean, I have to consciously remember "solid state." Weird, huh?

OK. Most ALL Klipsch horn mid speakers are, to my ears, intolerable with SS. I have lots of company here. Witness the mass exodus of members here that own Heritage and honorary Heritage that have 'doctored' those speakers sound with tube equipment.

I have found that I personally prefer cones covering the middle ground. Just as owners of the former use tube equipment to color the sound of their speakers, owners of the latter can fine tune the sound of the speakers they own by finding the SS components that work well with their particular speakers. Synergy.

I think that my Klipsch Chorus II/Scott amp combo sounds wonderful. But my Klipsch Synergy/SS combo, either multi or 2-channel, sounds better. Just more listenable/enjoyable to my ears. And that is the reason I spends my money. Of course, that is just my opinion/my preference.

But then, I'm not condemning the whole of SS just because of bad synergy. That's it!

Keith

What KJ wants is the "Walter Payton" system - one that can pass, run, block, throw, kick, score touchdowns, and wear headbands9.gif But as we all know, Walter Payton only comes along once in a lifetime.

There is a specific reason I began persuing a 2 channel setup - quite simply, there are very few (if any) home theaters capable of keeping up with the good 2 channel rigs on a MUSICAL level - especially where Klipsch heritage is involved. I started my system with the same intent that KJ has now - to build the "do-it-all/Walter Payton" theater. As that project progressed, I came to realize that it was much easier to build 2 systems that bring the best attibutes of each; as previously opined, Walter Payton only comes along once in a lifetime.....and players of such quality are EXPENSIVE.

Ideally, a "do-it-all" Heritage Klipsch HT would have tube based prepro and tube amps all around (with exception maybe to the LFE, which would still be SS). Good luck on that one. I actually investigated the possibility, but found no tube pre/pros exist (where the biggest gap seems to be between good 2CH and good 2CH in HT), and the task of purchasing 5+ channels of tube amplification for such a system seemed daunting, to say the least.

Given limited dollars, the task of building such a system is a game of give and take. You will have to "fudge" somewhere......question is, where do you want to fudge? We know you want the best 2 channel performance possible while bringing the HT package to the family, with ease of using one system. So the question begs: which prepro offers the most musical 2 channel performance, while offering enough HT features to make that experience complete?

Well, that depends on what you like in a 2 channel preamp. As I understand it, the Anthem AVM-20 is a preamp from the "audiophile" school - it is a conduit to whatever you hook up to it, good or bad. One complaint I hear on the Anthem is that some sources (such as cable TV) sound POOR, because the AVM-20 is a "garbage in-garbage out" audiophile type unit. Same with recordings - the AVM-20 makes bad recordings sound bad, and great recordings sound great! This unit may have you scrambling again with component synergy, as this is an issue I see with others who have owned the unit.

I find the Krell prepros are much the same in that regard. Very much GI-GO type units. EXCELLENT home theater attributes - AND KRELL BASS RULES. You will be amazed at what Krell pre/pros will do for your subwoofers. For the DEDICATED home theater, my favorite. Detail, yet smooth....that's how I think of Krell.

Another approach is to consider 5.1 prepros with good 2 channel performance. This will save you money on the pre/pro (which some will likely be put back into that video switcher). 5.1 pre/pros are especially affordable vs. the newer counterparts. I have the Krell HTS (the original unit), as I felt I got the Krell sonics for a song - but gave up a few features. In your case, you might consider looking at some high end 5.1 units from companies who do things right.

If you want something on the "tubey" side of town in solid state gear, I can think of no better choice than McIntosh. You may consider a 5.1 DD/DTS prepro setup. One thing about used McIntosh: you can try them out, and if you don't like them, you can easily resell at minimal or no loss of $$$. I find that McIntosh and Klipsch go very well together. In McIntosh amplifiers, think autoformer models - these tend to sound more "tubish" vs. the non-autoformer units. I use McIntosh 250 SS amps in both systems, and found that this amp in my HT was a BIG improvement in the HT's 2 channel performance. That amp took my HT from "OK-to-poor" 2 channel performance, to "good" 2 channel performance - not perfect, but very listenable.

If I had to build one do it all system (2 channel and HT combo) all over again, and could only have one system in my home, I would go McIntosh. Based on what I have read, B&K would be worth considering also.

But as it stands, I went the 2 system route: Mercury Morris outside, Larry Czonka inside. All the bases are covered9.gif

Hmmm now that my business has spread out way past the Klipsch forum I have done "doctored" vintage tube amps for people with endless different types of speakers other then Klipsch. They all have given me very positive responses ! Matching the tube "flow of the music" is not easily or cheaply done with SS gear.

Now that I have Chorus speakers in house I can tell you one thing that may have contributed to your opinion here. The Chorus speakers are very pesky on the Mids and High compared to the big Heritage speakers. I have went through many amps with these speakers and finally found the perfect mate ! To bad it isn't mine 7.gif I've owned SF-2 and RF-3 II in the very same setup and they were much easier to get descent sound out of but there is no way they are even remotely in the same league as what I'm hearing in that room this weekend.

Craig

"Mercury Morris outside, Larry Czonka inside"

I remember the 'phins and their perfect season with those two.

How do you think my NOSValve vintage gear would compare to this "value" internet direct integrated EL34 unit w/6SN7, etc. pre-amps tubes but NO Phono?

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=13.1

...not that I'm interested in a 2-channel integrated....just curious.