Soundcards and the 4.1 and 5.1

I'm looking to buy either a ProMedia 4.1 or 5.1 system and I'm wondering if I need to get a new soundcard. Right now, I have an SB Live! Value. Can I use the 4.1 system on this card or do I have to upgrade to a SB Live! 5.1 card to fully use the 4.1 system? Also, if I get a 5.1 system when it comes out, would I need a 5.1 card to fully utilize the system? I'm assuming that I could use the 5.1's on the Value card, but the sixth channel wouldn't be supported or something.

Thanks a lot for any help.

OK... so, if I buy the 5.1 system, you guys recommend the Game Theatre XP over the SB cards. Great. Here's my question; I'm mostly going to be using it for music. Not a lot of gaming or dvd's. Will the 5.1's sound any better for playing music than the 4.1's? I don't mind paying the extra $$'s if there is a difference in the sound quality, even if it's slight. Oh, and if the 4.1's are the way to go, what sound card would you recommend? Thanks!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Game Theater XP has no Dolby Digital or DTS decoder built in. Neither do the PM5.1's so how is the Game Theater even a useable solution let alone the best one?

I ask only because I very much wanted to get the Game Theater XP and am now left with the only choice of getting another SB Live card if I want AC3 playback.cwm43.gif

The Promedia's uses analogue inputs, so cards like GTXP or TBSC will do just fine.

Even if you use a SBLive 5.1 and Creative's 5.1 DTTS series speakers through their digital input, or DIN, the sound will still be inferior to using a GTXP or TBSC + Klipsch Promedia 5.1 setup. Digital is sometimes overated - as in this case.

The TBSC spec page will tell you how to connect it to an analogue 5.1 setup (which is what the Promedia 5.1 is).

http://www.voyetra-turtle-beach.com/site/products/santacru/specifications.asp

sc_card_callouts.gif

I've used SBLive, Vortex 2 MX300 and TBSC. With my Sennhesier HD570, I could clearly hear the difference between them. Ranging from best downwards (IMHO)...

Music: 1) TBSC 2) SBLive 3) MX300

Games: 1) TBSC 2) MX300 3) SBLive

I would recommend a TBSC or GTXP + Promedia 5.1 over any Creative setups right now.

This message has been edited by VBlaster on 07-12-2001 at 09:14 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Tabbycatt:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Game Theater XP has no Dolby Digital or DTS decoder built in.

The GTXP has a Dolby Digital decoder in the PowerDVD software that is included; so you will get DD with the GTXP and the PM5.1, and that would be a complete solution.

A software decoder will work only for the DVD movies; and not for some future Dolby encoded five channel video games (these games, instead, will presumably be decoded to the older EAX four channel standard -though that's a guess).

If bleeding edge game sound is not crucial in your decision, then the XP is a good choice.

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

quote:

Originally posted by chronoch:

I'm looking to buy either a ProMedia 4.1 or 5.1 system and I'm wondering if I need to get a new soundcard. Right now, I have an SB Live! Value. Can I use the 4.1 system on this card or do I have to upgrade to a SB Live! 5.1 card to fully use the 4.1 system? Also, if I get a 5.1 system when it comes out, would I need a 5.1 card to fully utilize the system? I'm assuming that I could use the 5.1's on the Value card, but the sixth channel wouldn't be supported or something.

Thanks a lot for any help.

You can drive the 5.1 from your 4 channel card without a problem. Your center channel speaker, of course, would become a temporary paperweight until you upgrade the soundcard.

Conversely, it's possible to use a 4.1 with either a 4.1 or a 5.1 sound card, by putting the center in phantom mode.

So, you can decide based on cost and how many speakers you really want.

-djf

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

quote:

Originally posted by Dan F:

A software decoder will work only for the DVD movies; and not for some future Dolby encoded five channel video games

It's my understanding that it will work as well as a Live 5.1 in this area, and whent he game is programmed for 5.1 sound, a Herc GTXP or a Live 5.1 will be able to take advantage of it.

quote:

Originally posted by Dan F:

If bleeding edge game sound is not crucial in your decision, then the XP is a good choice.

Hi Dan,

What if bleeding edge game sound is CRUCIAL, what would you recommend, for both the 4.1's and the 5.1's?

Primarily the 4.1's Smile.gif

Steve