Decent Scott 299A BIN $375

Klipschfoot

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, so it's a sucky deal, one to avoid. I don't know anything about Scotts as I have only heard one, a NOSvalve 299B. I thought it sounded fantastic. But what the heck do I know?

I humbly apologize naiive members of the forum for appearing to suggest that this was a worth a look. I have been duly corrected by others more knowledgable of Scotts. So please don't attack me. 15.gif It won't happen again.

There. 1.gif

But how about that Eico HF-86 he has for sale? Oh, that's right, muddy bass, inarticulate mid, thin highs, annoying hum. That Cayin is sounding pretty good, I suppose.

----------------

On 4/26/2004 8:53:11 PM RCI wrote:

The 299 is Scott's first integrated in the Stereomaster line-up, and quite frankly, the wiring layout looks like it. Not only is the wiring layout less than stellar, but the overall sound is unbearable in my honest opinion. "Bright" cannot even begin to describe the sound. If you ask me, the 299, 299B, 200, 200B, and 370 tuner were all failures by Scott.Best Regards,

Ryan

----------------

Ryan,

You obviously haven't heard one that has been properly restored or your opinion (IMO) would be different. My 299b sounds great. Not JMO. EVERYONE who has heard it has said the same. Are we all deaf or are your ears just better then the rest of ours?

Ryan,

I can appreciate and respect the fact that you like Dark(stained)Walnut. However, it is MHO that the walnut on this case is gorgeous in its natural(unstained)state with several coats of Tung Oil applied. The more you artificially darken wood the less its true beauty shines through. But again, just MHO.

And oh, by the way, what is with the "1 Post/Newbie" thing?

----------------

On 4/26/2004 9:33:27 PM NOSValves wrote:

Klipschfoot,

You did nothing wrong and your link was fine. The 299A is a fine amplifier and there are many here on the forum that absolutley love these amps. Just ignore the crazy stuff and move on!

Craig

----------------

Thank you, Lord NOS. I thought remorse, even feigned, would shield me from abuse. The reason for the link was that is was a spanking new listing and lots of members here appear to be suckers for, I mean, fans 9.gif of Scott equipment.

----------------

On 4/26/2004 9:44:33 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

----------------

On 4/26/2004 9:33:27 PM NOSValves wrote:

Klipschfoot,

You did nothing wrong and your link was fine. The 299A is a fine amplifier and there are many here on the forum that absolutley love these amps. Just ignore the crazy stuff and move on!

Craig

----------------

Thank you, Lord NOS. I thought remorse, even feigned, would shield me from abuse. The reason for the link was that is was a spanking new listing and lots of members here appear to be suckers for, I mean, fans
9.gif
of Scott equipment.
----------------

Well it sounds like you need a lolly pop 2.gif

Yup Ryan your riding that fine line! You now frequent the forum under numorous names and harass whomever you please Heh ! The joy of AOL dial up you can not be banned. What a revelation. I can't believe you really think I was falling for the Mac1900 name 6.gif

Craig

PS,

At least what I have accomplished isn't some fantasy of my own delusional mind and thank god for that Heh !

----------------

And I've heard many more than just one, say around 100 or so. No matter what revision the model was, they all sounded bright to me.

----------------

I can hear slightly past 23 kilocycles, the "brightness" of the 299 or 299B occurs just after 17 KC, so I can definitely hear it. Most people here are in their early to mid 40's, and their range has dropped off to 15 KC or below. The 299B might sound pleasant to you, but not to me, as I can hear the shrill high end. If you can't hear it, it's because your high frequency hearing has faded off.

----------------

'Say, "Good night," Gracie.'