Whats best center for RF3 mains

Jerry22m

Actually, I found a review that might match your speakers

I recently purchased the Klipsch RC-35 after purchasing the Klipsch RF3II tower speakers. Before this recent purchase, I had an older Polk center channel speaker. It was fairly troubling to me because the tower speakers were almost always noticeably louder than my Polk center channel. Also, after reading several articles and reviews, I decided it was time to have all my speakers voice-matched. When I went to the store, I was undecided as to whether I was going to purchase the Klipsch RC-25 or the Klipsch RC-35. The difference in price is about a $100 but the RC-35 undisputedly defeats the RC-25. The sound is amazing where the dialogue is perfectly accurate and the bass is correctively responsive. In addition, these speakers perfectly voice-match my Klipsch RF3II tower speakers and I no longer have the daunting problem of having my tower speakers significantly louder than my center (they are mostly balanced). Finally, Klipsch fixed the annoying problem from the RC3II where the grill was very cheap and easy to break. The Klipsch RC-35 has a magnetic grill which is much more sturdier. Nonetheless, I would recommend the Klipsch RC-35 to anyone who would like to compliment any other Klipsch Reference speakers.

The 35 is probably all you need, but the 7 is better, but a lot more $$

Ideally you'd want another RF-3. Many people here have modified towers (or built entirely new enclosures and used the drivers) to use a center channel speakers. If you don't have the room for that then go with either a RC-3 or a RC-35. Note the RC-7 likely would be too over-powering (and the tone might not be a good match since it uses a much different tweeter). The main two things you want to look for to get a good match is the horn tweeter and the sensitivity rating.

the rc 7 is by no means too large. i began my klipsch audio journey with the rc 3 which is not very different than the 35, i had rf's up front as well and it just was overshadowed by the rf's, when i listened to movies i had to turn the volume up during quieter passages, talking..... and when the action came i very rapidly had to turn the volume down, the 3 just cant keep up, i think they are better suited for bookshelf speakers, as you know most of the sound in ht comes from the center, so it is important to match as best as possible, but you only hurt the overall performance if you undersize. to solve my problem i went to the 7, and it matched so well voice was perfect transitional sounds were flawless, seamless, if it werent for my moving up to heritage i would still enjoy the 7's, now my son uses it in his reference gaming system. i have seen this topic arise many times, and in most circumstances they went 7's after experiencing the difference12.gif

----------------

On 4/29/2004 7:20:29 AM STL wrote:

Note the RC-7 likely would be too over-powering (and the tone might not be a good match since it uses a much different tweeter). The main two things you want to look for to get a good match is the horn tweeter and the sensitivity rating.

----------------

Why do people bring up volume differences? If you have any basic multichannel receiver all you have to do is balance the channels with an SPL meter. I also think people make too much of the matching horn and tweeter issue. In my opinion, so long as the speakers are relatively similar, just buy the best center channel you can. The sound quality upgrade going from RC-3II to RC-7 far outweighed any drawbacks with regard to timbre-matching for me. Also FWIW, I don't listen to multichannel music, but with DVDs I haven't noticed any glaringly unnatural sound when audio pans across the front soundstage, YMMV 12.gif.

Edit: I completely agree with what marksdad says. The RC-3II always sounded (for lack of a better word) boxy to me. The RC-7 is a bigger speaker, and therefore has all the bigger speaker qualities. I have not directly compared either the RC-3II or RC-7 to the RC25/35, so I cannot comment on that.

On 4/29/2004 8:04:48 AM marksdad wrote:

the rc 7 is by no means too large. i began my klipsch audio journey with the rc 3 which is not very different than the 35, i had rf's up front as well and it just was overshadowed by the rf's, when i listened to movies i had to turn the volume up during quieter passages, talking..... and when the action came i very rapidly had to turn the volume down, the 3 just cant keep up

From the way you descirbe the problem it sounds like you were listening to Dolby Pro-logic -- or else you just need to take gtDark's advice and balance the channels with an SPL meter.

It seems a lot of people that complain about the RC-3 had the speaker set to "small" and when they got the RC-7 they changed that setting to "large". It seems that many A/V rec'rs do more than just cut out the bass when speakers are set to small -- whatever the rec'r is really doing the additional sound processing on the signal is also reducing the sound quality when speaker are set to "small". I would be willing to get many of those replaced RC-3s would have sounded better -- and not so boxy -- if they were set to "large" (and SPL level were properly tuned with a meter).

keep in mind, in stereo mode, you use 2 speakers(unless you use pl2 or neo6). so it does not matter which center you have. In movies 65% of the volume comes out of the center. I dont think its silly to have the best speaker be your center. By THX standards, the center should equal the front in woofer size.

I agree with Marksdad, get the RC-7. We use an RC-7 with RF-7s in front and RF-5s for surrounds in our family room and it sounds great. When we set up our bedroom system with RF-35s in front and RF-3IIs for surrounds I thought a RC-3 would be fine. It was obvious right away that the RC-3 was the weak link so I bought another RC-7 for the bedroom.

Just be sure to calibrate it to match the other speakers and it will sound great.

I boxed up the RC-3 and set it aside until my 8 yr. old son is ready for his first surround setup.

----------------

On 4/29/2004 6:22:42 PM 007 wrote:

You can not go wrong with the RC-7, you just can't!

Rick, that rc-35 would make a great rear speaker in a 6.1 or 8.1 config.

----------------

I,m already using a pair of RB-5IIs for rear surrounds in the family room for a 7.1 setup, and there is no place to put a rear speaker in the bedroom setup. And it is a RC-3 not the RC-35 but I imagine they are about the same.

----------------

On 4/29/2004 6:22:42 PM 007 wrote:

You can not go wrong with the RC-7, you just can't!

Rick, that rc-35 would make a great rear speaker in a 6.1 or 8.1 config.

----------------

I,m already using a pair of RB-5IIs for rear surrounds in the family room for a 7.1 setup, and there is no place to put a rear speaker in the bedroom setup. And it is a RC-3 not the RC-35 but I imagine they are about the same.

----------------

On 4/29/2004 8:04:48 AM marksdad wrote:

the rc 7 is by no means too large. i began my klipsch audio journey with the rc 3 which is not very different than the 35, i had rf's up front as well and it just was overshadowed by the rf's, when i listened to movies i had to turn the volume up during quieter passages, talking..... and when the action came i very rapidly had to turn the volume down, the 3 just cant keep up, i think they are better suited for bookshelf speakers, as you know most of the sound in ht comes from the center, so it is important to match as best as possible, but you only hurt the overall performance if you undersize. to solve my problem i went to the 7, and it matched so well voice was perfect transitional sounds were flawless, seamless ...
12.gif

----------------

Marksdad, I remember reading this post a while ago and thinking that I have exactly the same problem - playing this volume game while watching movies to compensate for the dynamic range. So, I was thinking that an upgrade to RC-7 is in order.

But recently the situation changed completely. Just wanted to share this with you guys.

My front array consists of a pair of RF-3s and an RC3-II. I used to have the RC-3 sitting flat on top of the Hitachi RPTV which was roughly 2-3 feet above the top of RF-3s. Then I had the same problem with dialog in movies. Multiple attempts to balance channels with SPL, even boosting CC by a few more dBs did not really help.

A short while ago I sold my RPTV. In preparation for a move I decided to get a smaller flat panel display ( I ended up getting a 30" Sceptre LCD TV). The problem was that I had no stand for this display. I came up with the idea of moving my AV stand to the middle of the room and placing the LCD TV on the top shelf, while RC-3 went to the shelf just below the LCD. It happened so, that in this new setup, RC-3 is aligned perfectly with RF-3s now, it is on the same hight as the RF-3 horns. This forced transformation of the system had a very unexpected result - I was shocked to notice huge improvement in imaging, and most importantly I no longer play that volume game. Now RC-3 sounds like a perfect match for RF-3s. So, just want to re-emphasize once again what everyone else says all the time - the center channel speaker should really point towards your main seating area. If it is positioned above or below the optimal hight you need to tilt it accordingly. I heard this advice a thousand times ago but never followed it for some reason. Now, I see the difference, hear it. And, hey, this little trick saved me a lot of money :) .... Well, i still would love to get an RC-7, but now I can comfortably wait for the better time to upgrade.