Monster Power devices

aaabbas

We should let Tom and Ray go at it, hammer and tong. Two mighty titans in eternal struggle. Ahem.

Tom has made his points.

Yet. Our new friend had a legit question. In my view, huckserism is perenial and incremental real improvments are perenial too . . . though to a lesser magnitude than hucksterism, which tracks the argot of improvement.

I'd say that lightning is a problem. Voltage sags to a lesser extent. Both depending on your location and power supplier company.

If you have noisy SCR dimmers, etc, they are not getting through the power supply of the amp. Maybe they get into the system elsewhere. I have no reason to believe that the high priced item from the audio salon is the best, or only, way to cure the problem.

Gil

All our friend

thanks Again everyone. I think I'm looking for that comfort feeling and may endup getting the hts3600. I'm getting a price of 399 form Ultimate Electronics.

Arthurs, you mentioned you got a good deal on the 5100..would you mind sharing how much and where?

Thanks,

-Andy

Here is a real nice $3? (less?) line conditioner for all of you. Go to the hardware store an buy a three prong replacement plug, take two 0.1mF 400-600v mylar caps and attach one each to the screws for the flat plugs with the other lead to the ground lug. Make sure that there are no shorts then tape it up nicely with black tape. Plug it into your power strip and PRESTO all of that bad noise on your electrical line is shunted to ground leaving you with clean power for your amps etc.

That will be $500 each please. Thank you.

I made mine from a short three pronged cord I replaced in a shop light. I know that I can hear the difference when I unplug mine from my power strip. I'd post a pic but all you'll see is a black cord with tape on the end.

Rick

I do use one, and have for many years, and yes I believe in them(even from the Radio Shack power bars in the 80's). The main difference I have really noticed, is sound is somewhat, slight, but in video quality .ie cable TV etc , wow, cleans it right up big time, no roll, no snow, even friends that have one with their sat systems are impressed.

I had my first Adcom ACE515 Enhancer(surge protector and condition)in the mid 90's when I lived in a remote community high in the Arctic, powered by 3 diesel generators(3500 people) and 1 was standby. The power went off all the time, it was more a lottery to pick when it went off(Inuvik, Northwest Territories, Canada). My equipment was never damaged in anyway, even with all the quick shut downs etc(not as listed below).

The BEST investment I have ever made for my equipment and the money I work HARD to get and invest, a long story short, it PROTECTS my gear 2.gif

The old adage comes to mind: Don't knock it unless you've tried it.6.gif

For the "any-wire-will-do" crowd, they seemingly haven't tried different wires. That is not a "sound" basis for an opinion...Now if they DID try different wires, and didn't like them NAME some NAMES so the rest of us who are apt to don't do the same thing and learn the same (and sometimes expensive) lesson(s).

The same with the AC filtering devices, don't knock it unless you've tried it. Then if you don't like it, please INFORM the rest of us with a REVIEW and name some names...

There is another thing that might be just the ticket for cleaner AC power, it's an isolation transformer. Don't have one myself, but they are used extensively in the military (Navy in particular) to isolate sensitive electronics from the power "grid" which is apt to get real dicey in combat situations.

DM2.gif

D-MAN,

The balanced AC is sort of an isolation transfomer. You end up with 2 60 volt legs and ground. As the guy from Peavey says, it is now an option that is in the N.E.C.

Marvel