People getting rid of RS-7s

damonrpayne

Someone asked and I thought maybe I would see if others share my opinion:

First, I am upgrading to Heritage so my RS-7s got to go: no mixing exponential and tractix horns for me.

The RS-7s give you a wide surround field, supposedly making things better for listeners not in the sweet spot according to Klipsch's literature. I guess to me it is a similar idea to THX style rear channels firing out of phase to create more 'ambiance' and make it very hard to tell what direction sound in those channels is coming from.

My problem with that is I like to hear direction in all channels, and a lot of DVDs are mixed such that they sound really great (to my ears) when there is solid direction coming from a more direct speaker as opposed to a big "sound field". I also feel that most direct speakers that are capable of being very directional have no trouble creating ambiance, like rain, in my room or other rooms I've been in.

If you feel the way I do and want a Reference 7 setup, you have several choices for surrounds. I think a few good ones are:

-More RF-7s if you have space

-RC-7s (I think m00n is going this route)

-RB-75s. If I was sticking with reference series, I think RB-75s would make fantastic side and rear surrounds.

All of this is just my opinion. I am curious what others think.

I think that the Engineers at Klipsch are far smarter than anyone that frequents this board. They designed and built matching surround speakers for the Reference front speakers, which should anchor ones attention to the screen rather than beside or behind the viewer. Surround effects, for HT, are simply that.

Multi-channel music is another sumpthin'.

My opinion.

Keith

i also have enjoyed the sound from the 'new crop' of klipsch rs-(x)surrounds,as well as my ksp-s6's.

IN THE RIGHT ROOM,i'm sure monopoles work nicely-given the material being played has beeen properly mixed,and placement has also been given careful consideration.

in the case of my ksp-s6's(which are 'wedge'-shaped w/a horn and woofer on the front and back-kinda like two monopoles siamesed together at a 90degree angle)i have them about 3ft.behind my listening area,so i get direct sound from the front halves(which 'toe in' to directly face my sweet spot)and s o m e reflected sound from the back halves. they do a nice job w/movies AND music,and even 'simulate' a center surround(w/the 'virtual matrix 6.1' on my sony 777ES 'on')quite convincingly.

i am going to try the c-7 center as a center rear soon,as soon as i receive and convert my forthcoming klf-30 into a center channel(HAPPY DAY!)1.gif

as T2K and probably HornEd have and will 'chime in', i would like to thank both of them, and remind them to 'behave'2.gif12.gif

avman.1.gif

----------------

On 4/30/2004 12:27:11 AM avman wrote:

as T2K and probably HornEd have and will 'chime in', i would like to remind them to 'behave'

----------------

Now now... lets not get hasty, don't be taking away my sparatic entertainment. 2.gif

they are rare(unlike Kansas,etc.)but we get them once in a rare while from t-storms.i haven't seen one in years.EARTHQUAKES!6.gifno thanks!

the line of t-storms has passed, and my fingers are getting heavy,time for some zzzzz's.

c-ya!

avman.

On 4/30/2004 12:04:21 AM damonrpayne wrote:

First, I am upgrading to Heritage so my RS-7s got to go: no mixing exponential and tractix horns for me.

Mixing horn types isn't always a bad thing; I bet you didn't realize that the Chorus II and Forte II both use a tractix squawker and a exponential horn tweeter! :)

That being said, I still think replacing your RS-7s is the way to go. And I also agree with you in prefering direct-radiated speakers for surrounds (as long as they aren't mounted to close to the listeners).

----------------

On 4/30/2004 10:52:21 AM STL wrote:

Mixing horn types isn't always a bad thing; I bet you didn't realize that the Chorus II and Forte II both use a tractix squawker and a exponential horn tweeter!
:)

----------------

No I didn't know that! And t2k, I'm not claiming to be smarter than the people who designed the Reference series, so I qualified my statements with "To my earss"

Because I'm a stubborn ***. Even though I have been advised that running multiple surrounds is not a good idea, I have a desire and need to do it anyway. Running multiple RS7 surrounds is putting too much spray into a small area, the direct radiators should help prevent some of the anomalies. (at least in my logical thinking)

I have used both and I would not buy those bipoler speakers again. Direct full range tower speakers that can produce a full spectume of sound is the only way to go if you are running 6.1 or 7.1. 5.1 is kind of a wash depending on your setup. If you have them setup right I will still take the direct speakers. You have to remember that all the speakers spread the sound out.

I also think that the eng. at klipsch design stuff for the main stream. Most people do not setup there systems right and then the dipole speakers will give you a better sound.

All of the big great systems don't use those silly things. They all use big full range direct speakers. Take a look around you will see

Tornado warnings = worry.

Man, be careful! Those things are scary looking. I don't understand how people can willingly live in tornado area. but then I live in earthquake area and people probably don't understand that.

Tornados are more scary sounding than looking. Growing up in FLA and living in AL I guess I have become "accustomed" to them (yeah, right). The problem here as opposed to the midwest is that you can never see them coming due to the hills. I also lived in WA when St. Helens blew -- That was a trip. Wildfires, Hurricanes, Floods, been there done that. I have been through a few very small quakes... the big ones seem so instantaneously catastrophic and unpredictable.

What was the topic?!

Oh yeah, can't wait to get my rs-7s. I am sort of limited on my options due to the size and shape of my room, budget, wife, etc. Had I gotten the KSP400s before T2K I would definately be going the RS6 route. In my long term thinking I may consider a rear center (C7) as AVman is. Bipolar/dipolar etc... speaker placement seems to be the trick from what little I've been reading and the different types of speakers can perhaps minimize the effects of placement.

Jeez...you guys are killing me! I've not even been able to give my RS-7's a good listen yet being my DSP-A1000 is only pro-logic and sends a measly 25 watts to them. Now to keep up with the Jones I have to sell them and buy RB-75's or something.

Stop the madness....long live the RS-7!2.gif

Having recently sold a pair of RS7 (side surrounds) the reason was not so much a quality issue as the type of speaker. SACDs and DVDAs sounded like crap with the rs7s on the side. let me rephrase that, I was not able to achieve th sound and/or effect for multichannel music and movies. Having a rather small HT the RS7 was was spreading the sound out so much it was getting lost in what the fronts were pumping out. With the RB75 replacing the side RS7s the seperation is much more noticable. For me that makes movies and music more enjoyable.

The rears are still RS7s.

Scott

DP,

You asked the question : " All of this is just my opinion. I am curious what others think."

My response to your question is below. Perhaps you misunderstood my response. You asked for others opinion, and that is what I posted.

----------------

On 4/30/2004 12:11:57 AM T2K wrote:

I think that the Engineers at Klipsch are far smarter than anyone that frequents this board. They designed and built matching surround speakers for the Reference front speakers, which should anchor ones attention to the screen rather than beside or behind the viewer. Surround effects, for HT, are simply that.

Multi-channel music is another sumpthin'.

My opinion.

Keith

----------------

Keith

----------------

On 4/30/2004 2:58:38 PM nuclearay wrote:

Tornado warnings = worry.

Man, be careful! Those things are scary looking. I don't understand how people can willingly live in tornado area. but then I live in earthquake area and people probably don't understand that.

Tornados are more scary sounding than looking. Growing up in FLA and living in AL I guess I have become "accustomed" to them (yeah, right). The problem here as opposed to the midwest is that you can never see them coming due to the hills. I also lived in WA when St. Helens blew -- That was a trip. Wildfires, Hurricanes, Floods, been there done that. I have been through a few very small quakes... the big ones seem so instantaneously catastrophic and unpredictable.

What was the topic?!

Oh yeah, can't wait to get my rs-7s. I am sort of limited on my options due to the size and shape of my room, budget, wife, etc. Had I gotten the KSP400s before T2K I would definately be going the RS6 route. In my long term thinking I may consider a rear center (C7) as AVman is. Bipolar/dipolar etc... speaker placement seems to be the trick from what little I've been reading and the different types of speakers can perhaps minimize the effects of placement.

----------------

Hey Ray. A few weeks ago when the thread was started here about the KSP 400's I started to mail you telling you that the speakers were sold. Started typing the mail when the idea came to mind that it would be wiser to keep my trap shut. You see, when you post here that you are possibly interested in a particular item you are alerting hundreds of others of the item. Many times someone will buy the item while you are contemplating the purchase.

I'm sure many here remember the member that posted about his purchase of an Academy on E-Bay at a good price. As it turned out the seller came up with a fishy sounding story about discovering an issue with one of the drivers in the speaker, and that he was cancelling/voiding the auction and intended to rerun the auction at a more appropiate price, or some BS story along those lines. I don't remember ever having read that the buyer/member that posted here actually got the speaker, maybe he did.

Anyway, the gist of my post is this. It is wise not to post here or anywhere else about the existance of an item that you may be eyeballing. Chances are that someone will, on your notification, buy it before you do or beat you out of the item just as the member I referred to above did to himself.

I tell you this to possibly save you some grief. I'll tell you something else, you'll have to get up mighty early to beat me to the deals in our area. 9.gif Hope you enjoy your Reference system.

Keith

Hey Keith

When the other member posted about the speakers on audiogon you obviously were on it faster than one can say "klipsch" so I really never had a chance. I began to suspect after a few days that something was amiss.

I was thinking I actually had a shot at those since they were a local pickup... and thats what I get for thinking...8.gif

The reference system is almost complete and it is sounding mighty fine so far. I have not had too much time to enjoy it yet though. After sitting in traffic on I-65 for 1.5 hours today I finally made it home, listened to DarkSideoftheMoon SACD and I got called back to work. I already know I am going in tomorrow. At some point this weekend I really want to "air" these babies out and see what they can do.9.gif

The lack of bass that I was worried about when I first started to post has completely dissolved -- at least for the music. I think later down the road I will probably add an SVS to reach way down and tickle my insides for the DVDs that I like to watch.11.gif

So next time "mum" is the word, eh?!2.gif