1st Post - Here's my system...

I just completed my new addition to my basement. I've been surfing here for a while and finally decide to post. I'm still "tweaking", but really enjoy my Fortes and the 7.1 HT. J-Malotky has been a major inspiration towards my Klipsch speakers. Thanks JM!

DSCN3151.JPG

DSCN3153.JPG

post-15149-13819254914808_thumb.jpg

Very NICE, FlyingV! That room looks fabulous. On looking at your profile, I couldn't help but notice your subs! That should make for good conversation around here - please tell us more!!

From one Heritage owner to another - feel free to add larger Heritage to the system at your leisure9.gif Heritage HT RULES.

if you could edit your second post and paste in:

img src="http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/DSCN3151.JPG"

then put a < in front of img and a > after JPG", and submit it, it would we would not have to waste two more clicks to see your gorgeous theater. Nice goin'.

Klipschfoot: Thanks for the tip! Sorry about the double-click thing Much better now.

Chops: Correct! Those subs in the photo arent connected (yet). I built a vented chamber into the raised floor with the woofer directly below the seating and the ports out the front. I try to get some more photos.

DSCN32031.JPG

Hey Vince

Good to finally see you posting here.

I'll get out there one of these days to check out your new room1.gif Looks great. Like the rack behind the screen, and I too can not wait to hear your in floor subs.

Plus I am getting itchy to wring out my Extra. Like you, I have not been up yet this year and the simulator is just not cuttin what I have been working on!!! Will have to got over to your neck of the woods and buzz the garbage heaps1.gif

JM

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I'm in WI - close to Madison. The modular leather seating is made by Palliser ( www.palliser.com ) Style: Dakota - each piece reclines individually. Very comfortable.

So far I've been extremely happy with the way this room turned out. The in-floor sub system really adds to the movie experience. The best part is the double insulated ceiling which allows for the full-volume movie experience, without waking the kids on the second floor directly above!

This "project" is the side benefit from the real reason for the basement remodeling... which is a basically sound proof office test for myself. With two boys (4 & 1), I have a slight noise pollution problem. I've designed another house, but thought it would be good to do some sound-proof testing in this house before building something that doesn't work. I prefer the basement temperatures for my office equipment and for the ability to keep the theater lighting down during daylight hours (translation -> football games).

I would eventually like to own a set of Klipschorns and the appropriate surrounds... But as you can see, they would never fit around this 8ft screen and probably wouldn't sound right in my current space. The Fortes are a good fit - in my opinion. I know that my current Reference Series surrounds are "technically" not a timbre match, but 98% of the people that will see a movie here will never know. I thought they might make a nice option for the next owner. The Fortes will not be for sale... but you already new that.

BenQ DX-650 - DLP Projector - 1600 lumens.

DVD Video (1024 x 768) sent from HTPC via video booster/splitter & 25' VGA cable - Audio via fiber-optic to Lexicon MC-1.

HD-Cable TV (1920 x 1080) sent direct from Motorola HD Cable box via Component cable - Audio via fiber-optic to Lexicon MC-1.

FlyingV: An extremely nice setup! What a novel way of mounting your center channel speaker within a recess in the suspended ceiling! I've not seen that done before. It's very custom-looking. You do nice work. Has that setup causing any side-axis sound dispersion issues from the center channel with your outer-most seat occupants? Also, are you using an infrared repeater to operate your components when they are covered by the screen?

"FlyingV": Shall I assume you play the guitar (as in Gibson Flying V)?9.gif Again, nice job! -Picky 2.gif

Picky-picky: Thanks for the compliments. The center channel is angled down 12° in the recess and does not seem to create any sound dispersion issues, probably due to the center mounted Tractrix tweeter. This ceiling took quite some time The area directly above the center channel is horizontal and the rest slopes down from the center of the room (9 down in 12). The rest of the basement has a ceiling hung at 7. The theater area is at 8 (not counting the raised floor section) and slopes down to 73 on the front wall. This was done to hide the screen when up, create an interesting theater look and as an experiment in acoustics. I will continue to do more testing (what a chore) on the acoustics of my design. My original intent was to create my own acoustic sound-trapping ceiling tiles and test them in this setup, but I got a little impatient. The roadblock for the tiles is to find a way to create the tiles with flame retardant materials

Im using an MX-600 HT remote and an MRF-100 RF receiver with (6) IR repeaters. The range is supposedly 100. Although this was a little pricey, it has eliminated the need for a pile of remotes and easily penetrates the screen. The remote has a small screen that can be custom programmed and has learning capability. However, it will not correctly mimic the signal from my cordless keyboard/mouse unit. So, I basically have one remote and the keyboard.

Many, many moons ago I did play in a band but not guitar (keys). Ive owned guitars and custom painted many guitars, but cant really play. The Gibson Flying V is one of my favorites and I might own one someday just to admire on the wall. Ive spent a bunch of time in a Cessna 172 and would have my Private Pilot license if I wouldnt have bought a house, changed jobs, got married, moved, bought another house and had a couple kids. So, I mainly build RC Aircraft and fly them once in a great while. The small aircraft in my current avatar is a balsa built Great Planes Lear w/a 55 wingspan and has a .46 size 2-stroke engine.