Unexpected surprises and an old friend revisited-long

dubai2000

Kevin:

You might also check out the Grounded Grid preamp. It's VERY good, transparent, and utterly silent -- I mean really SILENT. I hear nothing other than the very quiet far background hum of my amplifiers. The kit is probably the best thought out design I have built in terms of instructions and sequence of building. I don't think anything else can come close to it for the price.

CT,

The kit was offered to HiFi News & RR readers, in the early 90's. It has been discontinued for a few years now. I was lucky enough to find an unbuilt example. Paravicini started manufacturing the phono version (834P) few years later.

BTW,

I saw your post on AA, regarding the 45 tubes. Have you tried RCA globes?

Just don't expect the parts the next day, or anything. Transcendent Sound is a small company, and parts come from abroad. I think if there is no rush or other sudden need for the expenditure, the wait is well worth it. I didn't no what to expect from the SE OTL I built, but I can say it's easily the best amplifier I have ever heard in my current system. Purchased as a kit, the savings are unmatched! Very serious performance, and an incredibly sophisticated and elegant design. Feedback is often ignorantly given an automatically bad reputation, which is silly. It can be a very, very useful tool in audio design. It needs to be understood and used with care, and with Rozenblit's background and obviously very high level of understanding, the benefits outweigh the unfortunately common bad reputation by a very significant margin.

Guy,

I have not tried the RCA globes. Have you tried the TJ Mesh or N.U.'s?

Eric,

With my AVA T7, I am not really shopping for pre-amps. The only thing that turns me off about the OTL is the heat, still I may try one some day. I have not built an amp for about 6 months, and I just bought a new Multimeter and am itching to try it out3.gif

I still take very good care of those tubes, Kevin. That was incredibly nice of you to do.

The Foreplay is an inexpensive kit, too, and unlike the Grounded Grid uses point to point wiring. It's performance is just astonishing for the price! Some have a little difficulty with noise on the Foreplay, though. That's not good for high efficiency speakers.

So dubai2000 are you saying since I have ALK's I would NOT have to do any other xover mods. Just hook the tweeter up to my ALK tweeter connections? My ALK's are moded with Auricaps by Dean though. I may have to try them after I go back to work.

hoggy