Using a power strip

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so you guys say that turning the 4.1's with a surge/power strip is bad .... hmmmm ..... my question now is .... but what if the surge/power strip is plugged into an AVR? Will that not at least keep the current at bay plus the surge/control strip? Wouldn't that be a safer method?

Awaiting your replies on this matter.

Thanks for your advise. 1.gif

But I do find it funny and strange that in spite of it's great sound, the 4.1's are not robustly built to withstand frequent on/off treatment on the main power? 8.gif

I wonder what the engineers at Klipsch got to say about this? 2.gif

I live in a country that experience occasional power brownouts 8.gif which to my mind is much more scarier than having to permanently switch off the mains when not in use and back on again when I want to use the 4.1. ---- What if I used an solid-state AVR that had a few seconds "delay" circuit upon power up? So as not to immediately jump start the voltage but gradually bring it up to level when switched on? Will that still be bad for the 4.1's?

Am hoping to hear some official reply from one of the Klipsch engineers. They should know their products pretty well on this aspect. 1.gif

It's the same pricipal as turning your computer on and off repeatedly, or turning a light on and off. This puts alot of strain on the filament of a light bulb, (that's why a light almost always burns out when you turn it on), and therefore the same will happen with the fuse in the ProMedia's. And once the fuse is blown, there is a good chance that two small, but importaint, resistors are also fried, causing the propetual destruction of more fuses.

Thank you for your helpful comments. At least I'm not in the dark about these things anymore. What are these 2 very important resistors that you're referring to? Just in case something bad happens at least I know what to check .... like I mentioned earlier, I live in a country where brownouts happen and makes me think that even if I leave the power on, a brownout might still zap my 4.1 unexpectedly.

Makes me feel sad .... 8.gif

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:32:17 PM GooseChaser wrote:

The 4.1s were designed to be kept on, period. Unless there's a thunderstorm or you won't be around the house for a few day or more, leave the 4.1s on.

----------------

Hi I'm back again but this time I'm asking the question with a different twist. I was wondering if the same principle applies with the 5.1's (Ultras or not)? The reason? I'm getting a second set but this time a 5.1 version. Or are the 5.1's more robustly built and can withstand the power strip and UPS setup.

Thanks again for any expert views.

Hello:

If you are experiencing brownouts, a standard power strip, even with EMI and RFI filtering will not fully help.

A line conditioner keeping voltage from varying is the best thing. Some brownouts "recover with a slight surge" which can cause a variation of up to thirty (30) volts which is not healthy.

dodger