Need New TV...Any Suggestions?

Gilbert

Well, my old Toshiba almost lasted 18yrs. She finally kicked the bucket this past weekend and now I need a new TV. I'm looking to spend around $3000 + or -. I'm considering a Panasonic HDTV 42" Plasma. Their selling for 1/2 the original list-price. I've also sampled a 42" EDTV Plasma by JVC.

I don't know much about this technology and it's use with TV's, any input or alternate recommendations would be appreciated.

First ED is only 420p, which is not HD. You need one with 720p or 1080i for real HD.

I would get one with a DVI or firewire inputs. This is the main input that works best with plasma or lcd or dlp.

If you do not get sick from dlp they have a great picture. I would have bought one myself but dlp's get me sick and I can see the flicker. Plasma and LCD are good tv's bought they still have there own problems. Black level is one. They have real hard time producing real blacks. They are greyish black. Lcd's have some problems with being blury when there is fast motion.

Rear crt projection can and will have the best picture when set up right. But they have there draw backs also. There big and bulky. They also don't have the WOW factor that LCD and Plasma's have.

You may want to look at some sets with HD tuners built in. Unless you are going cable or sat only.

Good luck I hope this helps

If you're going to spend $3K and your last TV was around for 18 years, then I'd highly suggest you go with an HD model.

Also, when you are looking at the TVs, make sure they let you see it with an NTSC signal. 99.6% of the channels you'll watch are NTSC and you don't want to buy something with a poor scaler.

I would take a hard look at the warranty. If you go plasma, how many pixels can die before they give you a new one? I would also look at what the stipulations are in the warranty. I have a Hitachi rear projection set which has developed a nasty little flicker. It has taken over 4 months for me to not have a single thing done to my set. The local authorized service center is ABYSMAL. I just got Hitachi involved and I'm hoping they will help. But, you'll want to find out about the service record of the "authorized" help.

I didn't buy an extended warranty right off the bat and it hasn't been an issue. The same idiots would be working on it either way and now I'm getting offers for the extended warranty, now that the original warranty is about to expire.

I wish I could be more upbeat, but the prices keep falling, which means the stuff inside has to be getting cheaper. Be prepared to dealwith that!

Jeff

Gilbert: I tend to agree with most of the comments from the other members, especially to avoid the EDTV in flavor of an HDTV model plasma.

However, one thing to consider as well before making your choice of technologies: Study your room's lighting during all hours of the day and evening. Is it bright, dark or a combination of lighting levels? Can it be completely controlled?

If the answer is, the room can be darkened completely, then you might consider going with a front projection DLP or CRT display. They work best in darkened rooms.

If the answer is moderately lit, then you might consider either a front projected LCD display or any rear projected display (CRT, DLP, LCD or Plasma).

However, if the room is bright and you cannot do much to resolve it, then I suggest you consider only Direct-View CRT, Plasma, or rear projected LCD displays.

Thanks guys, that's some good information.....it does help. The main video source an SAT receiver (Dish Network), I know already that I'll have to purchase 1 of their HD receivers to take advantage of the new TV, and was told they run for around $300.

Easylistener, what is a DVI input?

Also, why is having the tuner built-in a better option?

Finally, whats with the poor quality of Black colors....Do HD's and ED's share this problem, or is it primarily only associated with HD's?

I don't plan on buying another TV for our Master Bedroom for a long long time, and that's why I'm willing to go a head and drop a bundel on this thing. $3000 is a heck of lot of money for me, and I want to spend it on something I'll enjoy and not regret.

What manufactures have the best HD chip sets?

Also, does anyone know of a good source for HDTV reviews?????

Gilbert: The "black-level" is not a component unique to HDTV. Instead, it is associated with projection and plasma televisions of all types. Plasma and LCD type screens tend to have very dark grays instead of black. Whereas, correctly adjusted CRTs and DLPs tend to have black levels that are closer to actual black. This difference means higher contrast and a more "cinematic-look" on sets such as CRTs and DLPs. It really has less to do with the actual "HDTV-thing". Rather, it's the limitation of the individual technologies that are currenlty employed. But, let me add that this does not mean that LCDs and Plasmas still can't have great pictures, too, because they can. It's all a matter of your own, personal choice and preferences.

other than the 'wow' factor(which may well wear off)OR if you HAVE to hang it on a wall,there are many better choices than plasma.

the Sony grand vvega LCD rptv's have improved black level(vs.earlier/other brand lcd's)higher resolution(1388x788 vs.1024 x720)a good video processor(for scaling 480i),Cinemotion reverse 3/2 pulldown(for film-based video)Memory Stick slot(for sony digital still cameras-you can do a slide-show w/your pix!)and the 42" is only 15"deep!

they come in 42/50/60/60 XBR/and 70 XBR models.

retail price range $2,799-$6,500; but we sell the 42 for about $2,415,so negotiate w/your sony dealer.

CRT-rptv's have better black level,but unless converged PERFECTLY, have red &/or blue 'outlines' in the picture,and ,like any tube-based display technology(CRT/CRT-RPTV/PLASMA)can 'burn-in'.DLP has potential 'rainbow' issues,lower resolution than the sony LCD rptv's,and 'noise' on bright/white solid backgrounds.

YMMV

avman.

EDIT:

the dishnetwork hd receiver will use component video outputs for HDTV,and regular channels as well(although i recommend switching to S-video for non-HD channels).

DVI,depending on the TYPE of display(plasma,lcd,or dlp ONLY)may be a better connection 'on paper',but in REALITY makes little to no difference(other than being a very expensive cable)in picture quality.

I have been drooling over the Sony 50" LCD WEGA at Circuit City/Best Buy since Christmas. It retails at both places for $3299. Rear projection but very slim, and weighs in at only 80 pounds I believe. The selling factor for me is that it has a very nice picture, and views nicely from angles even though it is Rear Projection. I am waiting for an open box return price though....I missed a few after the superbowl, the guys at Circuit City told me, have to be quicker I suppose...

Bob

Gilbert,

First of all, no matter which model you decide to purchase, you will regret it within the next 6 months as the prices continue to drop on these new technologies. Plasma TVs in general have great potential but there are still kinks to be worked out and reliability is low compared to other technologies. LCDs are reliable and tested but are thus far limited in their size/price ratio and do have problems with fast motion blur. projectors are very nice and proven but require a darkened room and direct view. If I were to pick a TV right now, I'd look at the DLPs. Not that they are particularly better than the others but the price is about what I'd be able to commit to and the performance is comparable to the more expensive technologies.

Have fun -Bryan

----------------

On 5/12/2004 10:34:47 AM HeritageBob wrote:

I have been drooling over the Sony 50" LCD WEGA at Circuit City/Best Buy since Christmas. It retails at both places for $3299. Rear projection but very slim, and weighs in at only 80 pounds I believe. The selling factor for me is that it has a very nice picture, and views nicely from angles even though it is Rear Projection. I am waiting for an open box return price though....I missed a few after the superbowl, the guys at Circuit City told me, have to be quicker I suppose...

Bob

----------------

bob,

if you want to know what we sell that tv for,so maybe you can negotiate a better price, send me an e-mail or p.m.

avman.

----------------

On 5/12/2004 10:44:16 AM JBryan wrote:

Gilbert,

First of all, no matter which model you decide to purchase, you will regret it within the next 6 months as the prices continue to drop on these new technologies. Plasma TVs in general have great potential but there are still kinks to be worked out and reliability is low compared to other technologies. LCDs are reliable and tested but are thus far limited in their size/price ratio and do have problems with fast motion blur. projectors are very nice and proven but require a darkened room and direct view. If I were to pick a TV right now, I'd look at the DLPs. Not that they are particularly better than the others but the price is about what I'd be able to commit to and the performance is comparable to the more expensive technologies.

Have fun -Bryan

----------------

dlp/lcd prices ARE comparable. i don't beleive that dlp is necessarily cheaper,and the resolution is lower.granted-black level is better,but i beleive the color accuracy on the sony lcd's is better.

as far as regretting buying at a higher price because 6 months later something MAY be cheaper-well,someone who has been WATCHING HDTV for those 6 months may have NO regrets!

avman.

avman: I will tell you that, up till now, I have not been much of a "Sony fan" (no offense intended to anyone). But I must admit that I do like the picture that 50" Sony Grand Wega has. It gave a $10,000 Marantz Plasma that was hanging next to it a real run for it's money. The only reason I cannot use the Sony is because I will need to hang it on the wall, and although the Sony is much thinner than it's predicessors, it is still 17-3/4" deep, and that is prohibitive for my application. But, for someone else, that Sony should make a darned nice TV and at a decent priece to boot!

avman: The wife and I will be looking for a 42" Plasma next year around summertime for the living room wall. It will replace a 36" Direct-View Toshiba Cinema Series TV, which has been a very nice set for us up till now. We really like the Pioneer Elite Model Pro-910HD.