Need New TV...Any Suggestions?

Gilbert

Go rear projection...HDTV if ya have the room......

Great picture...great price....that is.....larger screen for the same money versus any plasma or such......

Also figure this....

Most peeps put their A/V equipment in a rack...next to TV....these tend to stick out from wall about 24" or so...about the depth of most rear projection TV....so it will look good...when the TV is next to the A/V rack.....

also you can always put center channel speaker on top of a Rear projection.....but it is kinda hard to put one on top of a wall hanging TV...

But that is IMO.......

Gilbert, I also read a few reports that claim that the prices will be dropping dramatically this year. They go as far as claiming 42" ED plasmas around $1000 by Christmas time this year. I guess similar trends will be happening with other display technologies.

The guys provided already with quite a range of views. A few notes that I wanted to make:

1) A few times LCD displays were mentioned here. You need to distinguish between LCD panels and LCD Rear Projection displays. Panels are as thin as plasma but currently the largest panels available are 45" in size, while LCD RP units are thicker (you will not be able to hang them on the wall) but can be much larger than LCD panels.

2) Some ED displays can rival HD displays in picture quality. If you will primarily watch SD and ED (up to 480P) then you dont have to go HD.

3) I dont quite agree with the fact that plasmas have issues with black levels and brightness. They do provide great picture, but have some weak sides as well: they are very fragile, susceptible to burn-in (avoid static images), and quite expensive so far.

3) I used to have a CRT RPTV - Hitachi HDTV Ready 43" - a fantastic TV set, with great 3D like picture, very bright. Downsides: quite bulky, requires periodic maintenance (convergence). Due to forthcoming relocation I sold this RPTV and currently use an LCD panel - Sceptre 30" Naga III. I attached a snapshot. I bought it around $1800 at Costco to use as a temporary display until I settle in the new location. I have to say I am quite impressed with this panel. I would recommend this panel for a secondary/bedroom/PC setup. Obviously its size is small for the main HT setup. But otherwise, it is a very decent unit. You might consider getting it from Costco as a temp unit as well until you get yourself a permanent replacement. Costco has a no question asked return policy, so you will be able to take it back to Costco later this year and get a full refund.

If you will be interested in more snapshots, inputs, etc just ask me and I will be happy to answer your questions. Here's the link to the specs: http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_X30SV-NagaIII.htm

post-12165-13819255005312_thumb.jpg

I think the Sony LCD RPTV's are the way to go. I can live without the true blacks to get in return a much smaller, easier to move package that looks sharper and can be seen much better at more extreme angles. I did see a Philps 37" HDTV Plasma for around $3,000 that was the first plasma under $10k that looked good. Most Plasmas look fuzzy and "pixelated" to me. The DLP's drive me crazy with rainbow fences as I watch something. I checked out a Sony CRT 34" widescreen direct view and was disgusted by the scan lines being visible. It was very distracting. Every time I see one of those Sony LCD RPTV's I become more and more impressed.

Anyone know anything about the Toshiba TDP-MT8U HDDLP Projector. I saw a factory re-conditioned unit on Overstock.com List price $9,999.00, listed for 3,589.00. Is this a true HD unit or one that falls into that "Grey Area of High Def."

Also is 1000lumins bright. I have heard of projectors as high as 1600 lumins.

Any thoughts.

----------------

On 5/15/2004 8:29:38 AM JBRichter wrote:

My wife and I really enjoy our Sanyo PLV-Z2 front projector on the 92" diag screen.
3.gif

----------------

i also enjoy my lcd front-projector(106" 16x9 screen6.gif )

i have sold them to people who came in looking for a plasma-BUT-they MUST have control over ambient light in their room.

definitely great bang-for-the-buck!

avman.1.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2004 9:28:51 PM Gilbert wrote:

Well, my old Toshiba almost lasted 18yrs. She finally kicked the bucket this past weekend and now I need a new TV. I'm looking to spend around $3000 + or -. I'm considering a Panasonic HDTV 42" Plasma. Their selling for 1/2 the original list-price. I've also sampled a 42" EDTV Plasma by JVC.

I don't know much about this technology and it's use with TV's, any input or alternate recommendations would be appreciated.

----------------

Gilbert .... Check to see if the Panasonic HD Plasma is using Yamaha's Tru-Black(?) filtering screen. I saw the 1st and 2nd generation versions of this back in Jan/Feb and in side-by-side comparo it is outstanding against the other plasmas they (Ovation) had. The Yamaha rep told me the other companies they were producing these screens for & I *think* Panasonic was one but I ain't sure. Very good black background and great sharp colors.

peace, mitch

PS ... F1 ROCKS!!! Can't wait for 20 June ... tix arrived 5 weeks ago!

OK, OK,....I've done some serious research, mainly at ....

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1_1/v1n1tv.html#High%20Definition%20Television

Very good and informative site.

It looks like LCD and Plasma are definitely out (for now anyway), until the engineers workout all the bugs, or at least most of the bugs. I too have now read that Plasma prices will be taking a serious drop by years end. Lets see if the predictions are ture. In any event, I think there's still alot of fine tuning to do with LCD's and Plasma's. Shame too, I really liked that 42" Panasonic Plasma that I looked at, more that 1/2 off the original MSRP of 7999, and new in the box, not a display item. Oh well.

Based on my research, it appears that CRT's are still the way to go right now, unless you have money comming out the wazoo for a bad boy front projection TV, but at $80,000 for the top of the line.....aaaa, I'll stick with a CRT. The only draw back with CRT's is the weight.

Sony's KV-40XBR800 is the choice.......Best price I could find is $1794, wish me luck on my haggleing at the local dealer. At 304 lbs, it's gonna take King Kong to lift this damn thing.

See ya guys, and thanks for all the advise.

Later!!

my ED panny plasma image is phenomenal...i am still amazed by the pic quality after having it for 6 months. when i bought it the HD version (same 42" size) was almost DOUBLE the price. no way was it worth the HD at that time. from a distance of 8-9+ feet i find it difficult to tell the difference between a HD and ED image (at least from Panasonic). the contrast is 4000:1...awesome black levels, etc.