The fruits of my juicy music labor :)

Hi everyone I used to read the forums all the time, about a year ago, so no one probably remembers me. I'm about to buy the Dynaco ST-70 from kjohnsonhp. I need a preamp and he told me about the Juicy blueberry and peach. I've read alot about tubes and everything, but I am no expert for sure. I'm not sure where to get the blueberry and peach from any info, specs, and prices (or a link) would be great.

I also wanted an opinion on something. I am going to buy 2 technics 1200's and a mixer, to dj with. I'm going to get 2 dj needles, and also the shure archival quality needle to listen to records with. I figured for my preamp that I wouldn't need a phono input because the table would still be running through a 2 channel mixer, and then to the preamp. But I am worried about quality loss if going thru a mixer. I am going to do whatever you think is best as far as the preamp.

kjohnsonhp pointed me at:

1. Mark's Juicy Music Peach or Blueberry (couldnt find info)

2. MapleTree Audio Design pre-amps. (looked at the website for this one)

3. AES pre-amp for around $300 (couldn't find website for this either)

If anyone knows the link to AES and the juicy preamps I would be happy. I found the Audio Engineering Society's website, but that doesn't appear to be the same people as those who sell the aforementioned preamps. The prices will help me decide alot. I'm sure all three are top notch products, or else he wouldn't have recommended them to me.

I am also curious of about how long the average tube life is. My speakers are Klipsch RF-5's I will mainly be listening to records & cds, upgrading to sacd or dvda later on. I have a device that connects to my comptuer thru the usb port and has a high quality da converter that decodes audio (mainly mp3s) I do most of my listening through that... and i know, i know mp3s sound like crap. But once I make this upgrade I plan to mostly listen to records... but now you know my setup. I forget the name of that device, a stream...... something or other. Not HIFI up to peoples here standards, but its better than my cheap-o sound card and was all I could afford at the time.

Blueberry and the Peach

www.juicymusicaudio.com

Mapletree Audio

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

AES website

http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com/

My personal favorite would be the Blueberry I personally think for the best overall sound your going to want a good Hi Fi phono preamp and a serious think the DJ mixer would be a compromise not really sure though. I also own a Mapletree Ultra 4A SE and can say its a great bang for the buck but not in the league of the Blueberry especially in the phono section area. The AES preamps I have never heard so I won't comment.

Craig

You can pass on the preamp, connect the mixer directly to the power amp, and use the master volume control of the mixer to adjust the gain.

I'd recommend a preamp only if you weren't using that mixer. Otherwise, it's a waste of money since you won't be able to enjoy the full potential of a good preamp with that mixer.

After I picked my jaw up off the ground I saw the blueberry is WAY out of my price range :( I didn't see a mention of the peach anywhere, but i sent them an email asking about it. I will post the results on the forum if anyone is interested.

The main difference between ultra 4a and line 2a is the ultra 4 has phono.

and they both have two other inputs, correct? All I need is 2 and a phono. Does anyone have a ultra 4a or a line 2a they want to sell? nos?

I havent bought the two tables yet. I may just get one for now, and hook it to the phono input on the preamp to enjoy maximum quality. I will wait till later before getting the dj setup... that way i don't waste my tubes on techno! So that leave me open for any suggestion on a reasonably price table... because it won't need to be a quartz direct drive.. if anyone here who wants to sell me one in the near future (as long as it works and doesn't get broken by ups! 6.gif )

Thx for all the answers as always guys... if you need any computer help just let me know :) that's what I do!

I saw these two power supplies for the maple tree 4A, is there much of a difference in sound quality between the two?

PS 1 Preamplifier Power Supply (for Ultra 4A or Line 2A) $220.00

PS 1t Preamplifier Power Supply (tube rectification, for Ultra 4A or Line 2A

The tube rectification unit is easier on the tubes on startup. I didn't even look at the SS one. It isn't that much more expensive and Craig (NOS valves) also said it improves the sound. If you go the Ultra 4A or 2A route, then look for a pair of 12SX7GT tubes to run the line stage. Not easy to find but definitely worth it.They are a little darker (full body) sounding. Another word of advice, run the amp for lots of hours to burn in the capacitors. Mine took about 250- 275 for the Auricaps to burn in. They sound okay earlier, but the sound more fully develops later on. It is a very good little unit and the price is right. I am very happy with them. Lloyd's website address has changed to: http://www.mapletreeaudio.com

I have one on my For Sale page but I honestly was starting to think I would keep it. Mine is custom with 4 High level inputs and 2 Phono inputs and a bunch of tweaks I did to it. I guess I could go ahead and sell it I have no real use for it anyway its just collecting dust since my BB arrived. You can check it out at www.nosvalves.com/sale.htm

Craig

PS mine already has the sought after 12SX7GT tubes in it.

"Jawdropping" price? C'mon powedermonky, it isn't that bad!

Not if you consider it is new, guaranteed, and spectacular, and is really in league with units in the 4k+ range. When you count the nickles and dimes you end up spending messing with vintage bargains and upgrades...you could just make your life much simpler and go for the gusto and cut to the chase so to speak.....

Now I got to sell all this other "crap" on eBay in order to get mine. Fortunately one person's junk is another's treasure.

C&S

Is it me, or are you heading two different directions here....

1 Dj stuff.... 1200 TT and I can assume bass / dance some kind of get out n party music??? Medium to loud music and you need good solid lows from say a Mackie/ QSC amp that is designed for this..

2 Tube amps?? (usually not very powerful stuff made for listen critical applications usually 2 channel only not Home Theater) Although this is changing too with sunfire and others. Not usually thunderous lows.

While the speakers will do both... I am afraid your choice of amps will lead you to bliss with one.. Dissapointment with the other.