Cornwalls and Forte, Why no more?

Randy,

I think Andy commented on this a while ago ... Basically, if Klipsch were to reintroduce the Cornwall, it would sell for about $2000 to $3000. The volume at that price point is just too low to make a business out of it.

This would appear to be why the current management is going for lower priced, higher volume markets that will keep a company growing.

In the meantime, we'll find our favorite speakers in the used market, where deals can still be found.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

The fiftieth anniversity on the Cornwall is coming up soon. I'd be down for a pair at 2-3K in an exotic veneer. They could use current drivers a small run of 600 Hz horns shouldn't be a problem, all they would need would be a new x-over to match the new mids and tweets.

My wife will kill me but, at least she'll have a nice pair of stands to put the box on to wake me.6.gif My friends will have good sounds to send me off with too.(or off to)12.gif

Rick

Rick

It was mentioned to me PWK had some interest in 2 way designs.

I inferred materials and tolerance limitations of the day would not create drivers to support that concept years ago.

Most people love the Heritage line.

No one who has worked with RF-7s makes excuses for them. They are sleek and marketable in todays living enviroments in the home.

And

The DEANO CROSSOVER mods are implied to make them even better.

I would like to hear an RF-7 with a passive radiator.

The CHorus II and Forte II have a very different bass than ported or horn loaded older Klipsch.

My ChorusIIs will never leave the house!

I agree the Cornwall and Forte should be re-released. I disagree with the idea of discontinuing either the Belle Klipsch or the La Scala, they do not sound the same close but not the same. The problem with this industry is people have for years have come to rely on the miniaturization of electronic entertainment devices (TV's, personal audio devices, Phones, and the like) So I guess it is natural for the average person to expect the same from high quality loudspeakers. The problem with this philosophy is it ignores physics behind it. The devices produced are power hungry overpriced not bad sounding systems. Since very few people understand what they are listening to or what to listen for. They are IMO upgrading from older low quality systems, so anything that has a "reasonable sound" becomes the preferred option. Especially if it is small and convenient to set up. Now with video is easier to see what is fairly high quality and what is not. Your eyes say hey that is really sharp, clear and the color looks good. It is at this point I believe the audio becomes an ancillary component of the entertainment system. Houses are not routinely built with large entertaining rooms anymore, they have been sacrificed for a small family room, kitchen combo, then a small living room dining room combo (at least in So Cal that is the standard). So larger loudspeakers become harder to accommodate. Plus the WAF (no offense intended to the ladys here) is usually lower on larger systems because they tend to dominate their respective rooms. The other problem is e-bay is a major competitor for anyone looking for the Heritage stuff. The stuff was built and crafted so well it will out last its owner. Klipsch obviously is in business to make money and they can only cut cost so far to sell the Heritage. Additionally most sales venues do not want their floors occupied with larger units as they can display less for the average shopper, who is less likely to purchase a large $5000 set of speakers, when his/her home cannot accommodate it with out sacrifice. I will never give up my Heritage stuff I am currently planning to acquire more. But I, like most of you are throwbacks in this age of super miniaturization.

First off if klipsch started reselling them heretage speakers. Alot of people wouldn't be able to afford them. You probally wouldn't get the good ebay deals. At least they sell klipsch synergy at best buy, and they are no slouches. If you like invisible speakers. YOu could always go inwall klipsch. They sell Lascala's probally because more people like them and they know how costly they are. They probally would be stock piled up with those fortes. Hay at least the price might go down then. Look how much they want for heresy II's like 1200. They know what their doing. They pretty much got their bases covered. They probally would loose money if they made more of the heretage stuff. Not saying I don't like them i am trying to purchase some heratage speakers.

----------------

On 5/20/2004 11:45:22 AM stereo wrote:

About the response I expected from you dopes. Thanks...

----------------

Us dopes are smart enough to know that Klipsch could not stay profitable by concentrating on large heritage speakers. It's nice that they still offer some while concentrating on the smaller, sleeker line that keeps them in business. There aren't enough forum members in the market for new cornwalls to make it a profitable venture although we'd all like to see it happen. Go to your local hi-fi/HT shop and see what speakers are on display. This isn't the 70's anymore. Big speakers are not the current fad. I don't see it happening in the future either.

I agree. Sure, it'd be nice to see brand new Cornwalls or Fortes, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Luckily, there are still plenty of the original models available on the used market for us to enjoy for generations!

Right now, if you wanted a new Heritage speaker, you would have to settle for a huge speaker (Belle, La Scala, Khorn) or the Heresey. There isn't any really mid-sized floorstander. I think it'd be cool if they offered maybe the Forte/Chorus or Cornwall again. They wouldn't need to mass produce them, just hand build 'em like they do now.