Corners for Khorns?

jtice

What size corners are necessary to make Khorns do their magic? I'm looking at a pair locally, the first I've seen within driving distance in a very long time. I have a room with four good corners, except there are doors and windows at various distances. Maybe some of you who have plenty of experience with such things can give me a barely adequate to optimal range. And while you're handing out advice, what's the price range for a pair of nice Khorns, stock with a few minor blemishes?

Thanks,

John

Like I'm one to give advice (considering that my corners are inadequate), but the general rule is that you need 4' of uninterupted wall on either side of the K-horns.

As for value - What's the vintage? Finish? Style? (as in "B" or "C")

I'll tell you what. Even if your corners are deemed to be "inadequate" by the cognoscenti, the big Klipschorns will still sound fabulous and (IMHO) better than any other Klipsch offering.

Just go for it! If nothing else, you can build some "false" corners and be done with it.

Hi, sorry to cut in but what would you lose in bass response by not having the Khorn in a corner? Say you have a set of Lascalas and you replaced them with Khorns facing straight away at your listening position. Would you get close to the same amount of bass, less or more??

Rudy (my new name as texas randy taylor as opposed to ohio randy taylor is getting confused by myself as me)3.gif

Looks like I may be in luck. My best two corners are on the short wall of a long room 44" to the door jamb. The door is in the center between the good corners and is 48" wide. Anybody know how a large door between the horns will affect the sound?

----------------

On 5/18/2004 5:21:51 PM rtaylor wrote:

Hi, sorry to cut in but what would you lose in bass response by not having the Khorn in a corner? Say you have a set of Lascalas and you replaced them with Khorns facing straight away at your listening position. Would you get close to the same amount of bass, less or more??

----------------

Khorns use the wall as an integral part of the bass horn. It would be like having a big ole woofer without a cabinet. I think you'd be much better off with LaScalas if you cannot get the Khorns into a descent corner.

----------------

On 5/18/2004 5:39:08 PM jtice wrote:

----------------

On 5/18/2004 5:21:51 PM rtaylor wrote:

----------------

Khorns use the wall as an integral part of the bass horn. It would be like having a big ole woofer without a cabinet. I think you'd be much better off with LaScalas if you cannot get the Khorns into a descent corner.

----------------

Well...With all of the "fully horn-loaded" models, you benefit greatly by having close proximity to a corner to reinforce the lower frequencies.

That being said, I would suspect that you'd still have better bass response (a little bit, anyway) with the Klipschorns since the bass bin is larger.

It would look kinda' weird though having the corner horns sitting out in the middle of a room.14.gif

I've been told that you suffer a "suckout" at the 100-500Hz frequency range by not having the Klipschorns positioned in proper corners.

Just wondering, my sitting position is approxamately 14' from the front of the speakers and the outside to outside of the walls are only 11' or thereabouts. When I tried Khorns before, only in the corners I was disapointed to say the least. I didn't think to try them straight ahead, damn. Rudy

I have one really good corner and another with a window right in the corner. The result ?

If you want my Khorns call my executor !

Values ?

Low End $1500 ( no riser and poor cosmetics ).

Average $ 2200.00 - $ 2500

High End $ 3000.00 +/- Exotic Veneers.

The room interior components and wall stuctures, windows and such are probably more of a concern than the dimensions as long as it is 12 x 12 or larger, I would guess. My horns are situated at the small end, to boot!

Room treatments can allow for corner horns to perform quite well in decidedly adverse environments.

DM

Lynn, thanks for the pricing info-that really helps. Looks like I'm in pretty good shape on the corners with only one being short of 4' and then only by a inches.

D-Man, I think the short side may be preferable in most circumstances. There are differing opinions of course, but George Cardas recommends the short wall as do several others. But they aren't talking about Khorns either. My short side is 12' so I think it will work out fine.

Cardas Method

For K-horns, the corner is a necessity. THe corner of the room completes the HORN of the bass horn. Without a corner, they will not function as they were designed to function. False corners, constructed properly, suffice well in places where no room corner is available.

It continually amazes me that some posters here just do NOT understand how the bass horn of the K-horn works or is designed so that the corner of the room is a part of the horn itself! It really isn't that difficult to understand how it works! To say a corner isn't necessary for a K-horn is like removing the horn from the midrange driver and saying it sounds just as well without the horn on it!

Paulparrot...that too!

If a K-horn sounds good to someone out of a corner, I can imagine their surprise when they finally hear one properly placed IN a corner! The speaker was designed to USE the corner as a part of its DESIGN, NOT just to be placed there for a better effect!

"To say a corner isn't necessary for a K-horn is like removing the horn from the midrange driver and saying it sounds just as well without the horn on it!"

Ha! I finally got you! Isn't it more like taking the midrange driver and putting a shorter horn on it, like PK did with the Cornwall and Heresy? 9.gif

So what really happens? You lose some efficiency down low, and some of the midbass and bass starts to drop off. But what happens in a small room, where the room is giving you a ton of LF gain?

Like Artto said in another thread, the Radio Shack meter is real crap, but I did use the calibration curve for the meter (http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/49147.html), and I'm sure it's good enough to find large response variations.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/49147.html' target=_blank>

I should have some major suckout starting at 500Hz, why not? If it's between 500 and 100, then that response sure does level out fast, because it's back to near flat at 100.

50Hz.......................+2.5db

100Hz.....................+.5db

500Hz.....................+.5db

1000Hz......................0

2000Hz...................- 5db

5000Hz...................+2.5db

8000Hz...................+6.5db (yikes)

10,000Hz................- 4.5db (uhg)

12,000Hz................+.2db

15,000Hz................+2.5db

HDBR,

This False corner thread has brought to mind a question I have. I do have one proper corner in my listening room. And if I were to make one false corner on the other side of the room, I may be able to house K-Horns.

If I just have a wall and build a small wall Perpendicular to the other wall, I'm thinking that would be suitable for a Khorn? My question is what dimensions would this partial wall have to be? Also could this Partial wall be portable? Meaning after the Khorn was in place, I could temporaryily place it to the wall. Would I have to structually tie it to the other wall?