5th speaker?

bryan750

----------------

On 5/20/2004 2:47:02 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Another Cornwall. Short of that, an Academy (sellers' market on those) or a Heresy would do the trick just fine. If issues of space are difficult, consider building one.

----------------

What is an Academy?

An Academy is an older, out of production Klipsch center channel speaker that is voiced more like the Heritage line and a lot like the Forte/Chorus. It follows the normal practice of 2 woofers and a horn in the middle.

I think you're looking at the Heresy pair as surrounds, and then finding a speaker for the center.

I agree that another CW would be the best for the center. However, there are size issues if a TV has to be there too. Probably a Hersey for the center is a very good compromise, should compromise be necessary.

It will probably turn out that you can't find a single Heresy. Let me suggest you buy a pair. (Easy for me to spend your money. Smile.) The trend is to a center for the surround in a 6.1 system. You can eventually use the second one, as the third in the surround.

It seems to me that Klipsch "Inc." created a difficult situation when it set up the advice of "what makes a good center" for the Heritage line. The Academy is listed for many.

It may well be a good choice if you absolutely have to use a relatively small speaker. But the Hersey is much closer in design to CW or LS or K-Horns, and there are more on the market than Academy. So they are better in performance matching and lower in price. Size is the only issue.

Best,

Gil

I had the same issue and I used a Heresy for a center channel between my Corns, for a while. However, I was never really satisfied until I found a Cornwall for my center channel. My center is a vertical decorator Cornwall that is turned onto its side above the 65" Mitsu. The Cornwall center blends so much better with the mains than did the Heresy. Since about 60% of the sound in a movie comes from the center, the center is really important. I find that even the dialog is better using the Cornwall.

The problem is finding a single Cornwall. My brother and I bought a pair and split up the pair so we would each have a Cornwall center (at least the pair is still in the family).

David

Seems like the votes are in... first choice is a matching Cornwall, followed by the space saver Heresy. Given you have Cornwall I, you are better with those two options rather than the Academy which is better matched to the Forte2, Chorus, etc...

I have two pairs of Heresys which I use 2 for surround, one for front centre... and one in storage for an eventual rear effects channel (often referred to as a rear centre) as Gil mentioned.

I really like the setup... but have never tried a full size Cornwall as a centre so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. 2.gif

Rob