KG 3.2's for mains, upgrade to 5.1 .

Bryan T

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the HT thing and I just wanted to your opinions on upgrading to 5.1 system using my KG 3.2's for the mains. What do y'all think would be good surrounds, center, and sub to go with these? I've been reading a great deal and learning alot but, would like to get your input.

I really love my 3.2's and would like to keep them in the setup if possible!

Great forum!!!

Thanks

Bryan9.gif

Welcome to the forum. How about another pair on ebay for your surrounds? Any quality sub would work( velodyne,svs,klipsch,hsu, get at least a twelve incher. Many many many brands to choose from) Can't help you with the center not sure if it is sheilded. You could always run it in phantom mode with no center for now if you sit in the sweet spot. Meaning in the middle of the two main speakers. Which gives you a center image anyways. I listen to my tv like this all time even though i have a center. I am always experimenting. I find it to sound better because i sit in the sweet spot anyways. But for serious listening like dvd's i will switch it back on. I just like tinkering to see with what i could live with. And i would have no problems without a center. It gives more power to the mains because their is no power to drain from the power supply to add to the center.

Bryan,

As you can see from my signature, I favor the "all the same" approach. I started with a pair of KG 3.5's and added from there. The 3.2's come up on eBay all the time and you cannot beat the "seamless" sound you get from a 5.1 or 6.1 system with identical speakers. Getting the exact same model and not just the same family is optimum, IMHO.

PSSSSS...Don't tell any of the RF-7 guys, but you can do it for whole lot less with the KG series...2.gif

Good luck with your new adventure!

Redtop

Welcome. You'll like it here. What you're looking to do is timbre match your speakers all the way around except for the sub. At the main Klipsch site you'll find a list of types of speakers. Under Classic, Classics go to KG 3.2 and see your specs. Klipsch recommends either a 2.2 or 2.1 center. Availability on these used is mixed so I would consider a K.2, which are more common and go for $80 to $120 on Ebay. I would also recommend Kg 1.5's for rears. The 1.5's are 14 pound bookshelf speakers and sound nice in their own right. Because they are smaller, they might be easier to place in the rear of your room. The center of course would be easily placed on top of you tv and is shielded, an important consideration since I don't think the 3.2's are.

Hey Guys!

I appreciate the welcome and the suggestions. They are noted and will hopefully be implemented in the future. In the meantime, I'm going to use some KSB 1.1's for surrounds, and an SC1 center that a friend of mine can loan me. I've got an RW8 at my disposal to. I'm going to try it out and let y'all know how it goes! Then when I get the matched equipment I'll report on that as well.

Thanks again!

Bryan9.gif

Guys,

I finally got the KSB 1.1 surrounds and SC1 center from my friend. And also an RW8 sub from my dealer as a test drive so to speak (he's cool to let me try it before I decide on the purchase). Got it all hooked up and in place. I know y'all say the matched sets are better, but this setup sounds and performs pretty good. I don't really have any complaints, and the wife liked it. So who knows, I may keep these a while. My friend said I could borrow them for as long as I need them. I do aspire to get a matched set in the future though.

Just thought I would let y'all know it turned out pretty good considering it is a totally unmatched set. 16.gif

Bryan

• 4 years later...

Sorry just caught this.

The short answer is no, nothing has really changed. The KG .2, .4, 5.5 etc. series was actually desinded for HTand they thought long and hard about what various speakers would match. Now having said that I run my Kg rears and centers with Heritage Heresy's and like the combination, because it gives me flexibility. The Hersey's are better for music than the Kg 3.5's, 4.2's and 5.2's that did duty as the mains. For a pure HT using Kg's I use the proper cooresponding models. They show up all the time on ebay for decidely reasonable prices given their performance.

Funny you bring up using Heritage speakers with KG's as rears. I stumbled across a pair of Cornwalls tonight about 10 miles from my house. I actually got on to ask how they would sound up front if I moved my KG 3.2s to the rear. For a center I've got an Academy waiting to be put to use. My plan was to buy bigger front speakers, I was thinking Chorus or Forte for the fronts but now these Cornwalls kind of popped up.

They are 1979's, C-BR, and from the pics look like they are in pretty good shape.The owner says they work and nothing is wrong with them. I'll probably see/hear them in the next few days. What is a fair price for them. I realize that is hard to answer because so many things come into play but for an average set of Cornwalls that old what should I expect to pay?

Another question is what should I expect to have to fix or freshen up? Crossover/caps? They are almost 30 years old so how well do Heritage speakers age?

I saw on ebay today a pair of C III refurbs from Klipsch sold for $1913.88 (seems like a strange number but ok) plus $100 shipping. Makes me wonder if I should shy away from the old stuff and buy new/refurbs, if they come right from Klipsch they must be ok. Saying that, I realize I can get the old ones much cheaper but for $2000 I have a new pair and know what I'm getting. Ok, now I'm thinking outloud. If anyone has any advice to help me out I'd love to hear it.

• 9 years later...

I'm sure they are. Just got back from listening to them and they were much to bright for my liking. The grills we're also we're a bit too fuzzy for my liking. 

The search continues. Maybe I need to go higher up the food chain.