Should I or shouldn't I....

maxg

----------------

On 5/21/2004 3:35:01 AM Timmikid wrote:

o
6.gif
o DANGER! Oh well, why not get your fix, "if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad" (Sherryl Crow).
2.gif

----------------

It does - it did!!!

Well I went off - one shop not really worth talking about - but the other....

Liszt

Sinfonische Dichtungen (er Wolfram - help)

London Philharmonic

Bernard Haitink

Philips 6500 189

Stereo

Holland

(from mono original)

Liszt

Late Piano Works (Valse/Jeux d'Eau/Aux Cypres de la villa)

Alfred Brendel

Philips 9500 775

Stereo

Holland

Liszt

Sonata in B minor/Dante Sonata/Bagatelle/Hung Rhap 11

Alfred Brendel

Turnabout

TV 34232DS

Stereo

UK

Mendelssohn

A midsummer night's dream / Hebrides

Prague Symphony

Vaclav Smetacek

Supraphon

50 514

Stereo

Czech

Schumann / Frank

Piano concerto in A minor / Symphonic Variations

Ivan Moravec

Czech Philharmonic

Vaclav Neumann

Quintessence

PMC 7153

Stereo

US

(Critics Choice)

Schubert

Symphonies 5, 8

Berlin Philharmonic

Karl Bohm

Deutche Grammaphon

139 162

Stereo

UK

Dvorak Cello Concerto

Pierre Fournier

Vienna Philharmonic

Rafael Kubelik

London

KIJC(M) 9215

Mono

Japan

(Super Analogue Disc)

Corelli/Pachelbel/Ricciotti/Gluck

Concerto Grosso/Kanon/Concertino 2/Chaconne

Stuttgart Chamber

Karl Munchinger

Decca

SXL 2265

Stereo

UK

(ffss - audiophile)

All $5 a piece except the last 2. Both classified as audiophile and therefore with pricing to match. I haggled him down to $70 for the 2 - which aint too bad over here. All in all then $100 - which was the amount I had in mind frittering today. Could have spent a lot more - and I mean a lot more - he has some great stuff - but it will hold for another day.

18 shops seeling vinyl within half an hour of office and home now - it never seems to stop growing. Not bad for a dead medium!

Tim and J4,

Thanks both.

Tim,

I have such a huge selection of places to go these days (athens is rich in vinyl) that I have stopped buying overseas completely. May change is there is something really rare and difficult to get hold of but over the last few months that just hasnt happened.

Of course if anyone is looking for classical please let me know - I spend way too much time hunting it down and dont mind searching for others. Typcial prices range from about 2 euros to 5 and up from there for audiophile.

Not only can I not wait to get home from the office to listen to some of my acquisitions - Tony just dumped off a couple of platters for me to play with on my RPM4 - one glass and the other Acrylic (they fit his systemdeck he just picked up - he will keep one and let me have the other - If I want it...). They will both go on the Project - yet another quick mod - it never stops do it???

I remember many a time when immediately after buying a new LP, I wanted to hear it immediately instead of having to wait the ten minutes it would take to drive home. Friends and I would say, Wouldn't it be great if we could play that in the car.

Then came the CD and car CD players, and instant gratification. Ironically enough, I've gotten 1000 times more patient as I've gotten older, so the benefit of instant play is unimportant to me now.

There's an old saying here in the States: "if you drink, don't buy a bar".

You'd probably buy everthing in sight,refuse to sell anything, and quickly go broke.

By the way my lunchtime score today (cd's) Mitch Ryder and the Detriot Wheels "Devil with a Blue Dress On", Concrete Blonde "Still in Hollywood", Four Tops "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got", Eric Burdon "Lost Within the Halls of Fame" and Bob Dylan "Love and Theft" $42 bucks and classics of a different sort.

Max,

I certainly envy your vinyl shopping possibilities...hardly any classical around here....apart from Speaker's Corners reissues (on order). I like them but they are kind of pricey.

Plus I think my digital rig sounds quite nice as well... 9.gif .

Anyway, if there is any German causing problems, I am around 2.gif .

Enjoy your latest LPs.

Wolfram