Marantz??

TommyC

I never said a same year Lexus and a same year Camry were the same car...I said that what is a Lexus today is gonna be a Camry a few years down the road...with the main exception being some sheet metal...which is the TRUTH, if you take the time to pay attention to Toyota product development. If you don't believe me, then check it out on your own. Look at the drivetrains, suspension set-ups, even some of the "bells & whistles" options being offered on today's Camry and simply compare it to what was offered on the Lexus a few years back. It isn't rocket science, after-all.

Auto corporations use their top of the line marques to introduce new fancy-schmancy development stuff to the public. Then, if it goes over well with those customers, they keep it in that marque's line until they have retrieved the development costs from the high-dollar purchasers so that they can more inexpensively incorporate it into their "down-the-line" marques as they introduce the NEW fancy-schmancy stuff into the top of the line marque of their products. This isn't ANYTHING NEW...they have been doing this for decades!

Of course, SOME things they introduce on their high-dollar cars NEVER make it to the lower-priced marques, because it was either NOT a good idea, OR it didn't go over well with the consumer, OR both! Remember when all the car companies made a big deal about the NUMERICAL digital screen instrument clusters they were putting into their top of the line marques? THAT ONE went over like a lead balloon because reading just NUMBERS on a speedometer required the driver to pay attention to READ those numbers, instead of just using his/her peripheral vision to pick up on a dial-pointer position...so, not only was it done away with due to customer complaints about it, but it was also never introduced into the "down the line" marques, either. As a matter of fact, if the clowns who made the decision to do that to begin with had just gone back to the complaints voiced by Studebaker President owners in the late 50's over the rolling NUMBER speedometer incorporated into the hump at the top of the dashboard, they might have understood WHY it was done away with by Studebaker over three decades earlier and not have wasted their time and R&D money doing it again later on to begin with!

Remember the 4-6-8 V-8 Cadillac had for a year or so? Just another example of a bad idea introduced on a top of the line marque that died at that point before it was introduced on any of the rest of GM's lines.

Simple fact is that people who buy high-dollar cars get stuck paying for the product development costs of the fancy-schmancy stuff introduced on them. Once those fancy-schmancy things' development costs are paid for by the deep-pocketed consumers, the companies can introduce them into the other lower-cost lines at a considerable savings to THOSE consumers. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Hmmm. . . I don't quite get the qualification that makes the first "true stereo demo" in 1959. I have an EICO stereo integrated amp from 1959. I have on cd live stereo recordings by the artist Lennie Tristano with Lee Konitz from a Chinese Restaurant in NYC from 1955! (And man they are beautiful recordings!) Plenty of examples of studio stereo, beautiful, from both major and small labels from 1957. . . .

He was talking about the first introduction of stereo at the WORLD'S FAIRS back in those days. You know...like they used to do those demo's for different things in the "science and industry" pavillions that were expected to be the "wave of the future available right now" kinda thing. For stereo it wasn't so much the equipment involved as much as the difference in imaging that stereo provided compared to monaural most common at the time. Remember, even as late as 1959, some stereo demo's were left and right while some were front and rear...those demos used music and special effects (like trains passing by or airplanes flying overhead) to demonstrate the superiority of stereo over mono. The sad thing is that they didn't always use the best equipment to do those demo's WITH! That is why the guy took K-horns for that demo after his disappointment with the stereo demo given at the world's fair the year before.

Granted, stereo had already been around for awhile BEFORE those demo's at the world's fairs...BUT it is THROUGH those demo's at the world's fairs that the world-wide public got a chance to hear them for the first time in many cases...which sped-up the process of standardizing things and making it profitable for recording companies and equipment manufacturers to market that format heavily. IOW, it made what HAD been a mostly audiophile format into an "everyman" format.

No, the first true stereo format demo at the world's fair was the year before, but the guy didn't think it was done as well as it could have been with better EQUIPMENT...so he took K-horns the next year to REALLY show what the stereo format COULD sound like on top of the line equipment instead of what was used the previous year.

I don't know if this counts, but I seem to remember Rudy Bozak talking about setting up a primeval stereo demonstration at the 1939 (!) World's Fair in New York. This would bear some further research ...

PWK was quite proud of the World's Fair demo in Belgium. He said the Russians in particular were a problem as they kept sneaking into the exhibit and turning up the volume, particularly on jazz recordings.

As I recall from the pictures the amps were Marantz 5s.

depends...what type of Marantz are you looking for? The Home Theatre gear is top of the line(equal with Denon), as for older gear.....wellllll.....

I own all Marantz HT....couldn't be happier....speakers are Klipsch Heritage with Velodyne.....

depends...what type of Marantz are you looking for? The Home Theatre gear is top of the line(equal with Denon), as for older gear.....wellllll.....

I own all Marantz HT....couldn't be happier....speakers are Klipsch Heritage with Velodyne.....

the volume cuts in and out...dirty period...cleaning time, then again a 70's piece...9.gif