erasing videotapes

notneB

not to be mean sounding, but why not just burn the old tape and buy a new one? i can't imagine they are that expensive to buy.

i am just curious why you are trying to erase a tape...

you can always just turn the vcr on a snowy/blank channel, set the tape speed to lp (or the fastest speed...fast to slow = lp - sp - slp) then just record it overnight while you sleep.

sorry if i am being nosey, my imagination is running wild why you are so interested in erasing an old tape, posting it twice, maybe not wanting anyone to see this "secret" tape....11.gif

sorry, i will stop now3.gif

Go to Radio Shack and buy a bulk tape eraser. Make sure it's one designed for 1/2" video tapes, and follow the directions.

It'll be a lot less time consuming than erasing them with a VCR. Still, I can't imagine used tapes - even Betas - being worth the effort to erase and resell. A lot of the older tapes are beginning to shed oxide or otherwise decompose. (A moment of silence now, for my Betamax copy of "A Night at the Opera" which not only didn't play, but took out the VCR as well.)14.gif

----------------

On 5/26/2004 5:25:42 PM notneBvetman wrote:

This is a lot of videos. Maybe 100; so I think I'll try the bulk tape eraser. I tried a cow magnet and it did nothing. Thanks.

Benton

----------------

OK.... I'll ask....what the hell is a cow magnet?

A cow magnet is for "hardware disease"; or when a cow eats (enter your metal here, like ground up wire, or other metal common to farms). The cow eats it, it pokes into one (reticulum) of her stomachs, and (hopefully) the magnet you give orally pulls it away from where it is poking. Not a common ailment, but not really uncommon either considering the amount of metal on farms, in fields. Of course, aluminum is not affected.

Benton

you have got to be kidding!!!

cow magnet???

what kills me is that you get the cow to swallow this magnet (no clue how) and it keeps nails/metal away from the insides...and best of all...it STAYS in the cows tummy!!

if you use this on beef cattle (or even milk cows), do you retrieve the magnet from the carcass?

(never thought this would come up here on the klipsch site 9.gif )

just wondering

Maybe feed the videotapes to cows, then recycle? That's possible, wait; what about magnets? They're heavy enough to stay in the reticulum, although I've heard of people pregnancy checking and coming out with a magnet in their hand.

Benton

When my dad was growing up, he worked in a packing plant. Before I was even a twinkle in his eye. I do remember that years ago we always had "cow magnets" around the house, they were maybe 3.5-4 inches long, maybe 1/2" in diameter, cylindrical like a small cigar. He'd brought them home from work, back in the day I guess all cows had em for the above mentioned reason, maybe still do? If I recall, the cows didn't actually swallow them, they were more like force fed down the throat. Good power in them babies though!

cowmags.gif

Cow magnets are popular with dairy farmers and veterinarians to help prevent Hardware Disease in their cattle. While grazing, cows eat everything from grass and dirt to nails, staples and bits of bailing wire (referred to as tramp iron). Tramp iron tends to lodge in the honeycombed walls of the recticulum, threatening the surrounding vital organs and causing irritation and inflammation, known as Hardware Disease. The cow loses her appetite and decreases her milk output (dairy cows), or her ability to gain weight (feeder stock). Cow magnets help prevent this disease by attracting stray metal from the folds and crevices of the rumen and recticulum. One magnet works for the life of the cow!

----------------

Frank Speaker wrote:

So you mean when we eat beef, we don't get as much iron as we used to?

----------------

you just have to eat the magnet and it's assorted debris too.

i passed one just the other week i think...or was that the week of the cheese party...6.gif