Lynyrd Skynyrd

dtel

• Moderators

The vicious cycle tour dvd,picked it up the other day and it looked and sounded better than i thought it would . Recorded live in nashville july 11, 2003 5.1 dolby surround ,5.1 dts ,2.0 stereo.A lot of the old songs and a few i had never heard, seems most people love this band or hate them. Has any one seen this dvd?

I first saw the band Lynyrd Skynyrd in July of 1971 at a small baseball park next to the Gatorbowl in Jacksonville, Florida. I didn't know who they were. They were just a little-known bar band back then and they had just finished recording their first album, although it wasn't yet released. They were actually the opening act that night for a band from Melvindale, Michigan called 'Frijid Pink' whose very short claim to fame was a 'House of the rising sun' redux. Skynrd's opening set was so-o much better than Frijid Pink that night that the crowd booed 'Pink right off the stage after only a couple of songs and then 'Skynrd came back up and did two more sets! I've enjoyed the band ever since! It's too bad about all of the tragedy surrounding the group over the years.12.gif

frigid.jpgpost-10177-13819255256682_thumb.jpg

I also stopped listening after Ronnie's tragic death. I enjoyed a lot of Southern Rock back in the 70s (all began with The Allman Bros for me) and saw Skynyrd in concert many times. What I've heard since just doesn't do anything for me. To each his own though.

I remember I was never really into them when they were all alive. Didn't care much for any of the so called "Southern Bands" except for the Allman Brothers who in my opinion have always been in a class of their own. But now I sometimes I think about maybe picking up a Skynyrd greatest hits CD if one exists. Guess that means I'm getting old. 8.gif

I really enjoyed Steve Gaines's guitar playing. You should check out Freebird the movie and the tribute tour all on one dvd. Freebird the movie is great it's old and good. It's basically a concert of the original Skynrd. Then the tribute tour is with Ronnies brother. Puts things into perspective of how good Ronnie really was.

----------------

On 5/31/2004 1:48:12 AM BBB wrote:

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/outlaws.jpg">

You would have had to see them live to realize how good they were.

Three talented lead guitar players. Forget about it.They cooked.

----------------

I used to have that album and even though I said I wasn't really into southern bands, I had it.

I used to have a weightlifting buddy who was a bouncer at a local bar here in Clearwater and The Outlaws were playing there one night.

On a break he was hanging around with them in the back when a fan came in who was a guitar player, he had his guitar with him for autographs. One of the guys in the band asked him to play a little something and the fan was pretty good. Then one of guitar players from the band who was left handed played it even better even though it was a right handed guitar. He said the fan got the biggest thrill out of that. 1.gif

Yup , another one of many great bands from Florida. Many people don't realize that the Allman Brothers were actually from Florida and later moved their home base to Georgia where they became popular after recording there for Capricorn.

middlecreek - I was NOT aware of that.

It would, however, seem to be a "shot fired back" at Neil Young's song "Southern Man". I suppose it would be easy to misinterpret that, but given the opinion and passion behind Southern Man, I could see how some might take offense, irrespective of the validity/lack of validity of Mr. Young's lyrics.

But I still maintain that the Allmans shred on all of the Southern bands......listen to a good live version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" or "Mountain Jam" and you'll come to understand why it's game, set, and match.

I really enjoy Warren Hayes's band Gov't mule. But Woody the bass player died and that totally sucked. I mean that was such a powerful trio. I hope they get back together as a band and not with hired guns or tributes i should say. Which is cool, but i hope the mule doesn't stop. He also plays in the Allman bro band so hes got alot of work for him. No wonder hes' awesome!

----------------

On 6/10/2004 6:02:24 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

middlecreek - I was NOT aware of that.

It would, however, seem to be a "shot fired back" at Neil Young's song "Southern Man". I suppose it would be easy to misinterpret that, but given the opinion and passion behind Southern Man, I could see how some might take offense, irrespective of the validity/lack of validity of Mr. Young's lyrics.

But I still maintain that the Allmans shred on all of the Southern bands......listen to a good live version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" or "Mountain Jam" and you'll come to understand why it's game, set, and match.

----------------

Yes. Most definitely a shot. But a friendly one that they all had a laugh about.

As far as the best SRB, I think it is a matter of opinion. Made up by who you listened to in your younger days, who you saw live and so on. There is no best. Only your favorite. IMHO.

I love the Allman Bros. They had their own niche. Just like Lynyrd.

As a kid I hated both bands. Living in Eastern KY back in the `70`s through the early `80`s I listened to Petty, Springsteen, The Beatles, Neil Young and punk music. I was too hip for the status quo that was popular with all my friends.

Funny, isn`t it. As time passes, one reflects on the music they were surrounded by while growing up and in turn grows to embrace it. Or is it just me? That`s another thread I guess.

I`ll start it.