What Finish On These Klipschorns?

Mhmm...

I think you're right - 'cuz if you look at the backs, they're painted black. I don't think any of the raw finishes were painted on the backs, but I would imagine a black pair would be.

The color looks like walnut, but the grain pattern seems more like oak. Actually, it looks kinda' like a cheap plastic "faux wood" veneer. But then again, the pictures are kinda' crappy, so it's hard to say.

You know I always wondered the same thing, when people are putting stuff up for auction or sale a little cleaning and dusting goes a long way. I see it all the time on eBay, I would never post a pic of something filthy like that. I wonder if they would drive a filthy car with trash all over floor to a dealer for a trade in?

----------------

On 5/26/2004 1:30:08 PM Frzninvt wrote:

You know I always wondered the same thing, when people are putting stuff up for auction or sale a little cleaning and dusting goes a long way. I see it all the time on eBay, I would never post a pic of something filthy like that. I wonder if they would drive a filthy car with trash all over floor to a dealer for a trade in?

----------------

You know what? I have a very good customer with a late model Jaguar that is FULL of newspaper, fast-food trash, etc. I mean she has to clean off the seat for a minute before you can sit down!! And FORGET about getting in the back seat! The car is about two years old and I don't think she's washed it more than 3 or 4 times.

Funny thing is, she is a very good looking, clean and well-dressed woman in her early 30's with a six-figure income. And I've been to her house and it's really neat, clean and full of very expensive furniture and art.

Strange.

There is the psychological effect of implying a really good deal if you don't clean up something that you are trying to sell.

The implication is that you, the seller, don't know what you have therefore you don't know what it's worth or you would have cleaned it up (or the previous owners didn't value it so why should you as it must be unworthy of the time it would take).

The person buying it gets to experience the thrill of the hunt combined with the satisfaction of finding the proverbial "hidden treasure".

Sort of the garage sale effect, I would guess...

DM2.gif

I too believe Allan is correct. If you look at the bottom of one of the speakers you can see where the finish is chipped out. I have never seen wood veneer with a different color back, especially one that chips out like that. I have however seen a lot of formica that looks exactly like that chip. I vote formica. They would have to be dirt cheap for me to mess with them.

----------------

On 5/26/2004 5:18:20 PM wrench_peddler wrote:

Forgot to mention, I be the BB is BR. I have seen other labels where the R looked like a B.

----------------

Steve - I believe that it probably is a "BB" not "BR". I say this because the backs are painted black. If they were raw birch, then the whole speaker would be raw wood. I know that my '77 KC-BRs are raw wood on the backs. Hopefully that makes sense.