SIRIUS Radio

Lone Palm

While scanning my Dish Network menue,I discovered that I now have SIRIUS Digital Radio. These guys can't be serious! This stuff is great programming with 99 channels of music. But I really don't think it's really good quality.It seems to have the dynamic range of AM radio. There are no fade ins or fade outs. Everything is all the same volume. Is it me or can anyone else hear the lack of dynamics? I hope the future is not filled with this poor quality format.

Lone Palm: I don't know if the Dish system works the same way as the setup for Comcast Cable, which also offers music channels. But, when I set up my set-top box, I found that the music sounded better when I switched the setting for "Compression" to "Off". Compression limits the music's dynamic range and makes everything roughly the same volume. Maybe that is similar to the setup menu for your dish? I hope this helps.

I don't use any compression. The CD channels are excellent. I'm worried that in the future FM radio will fall by the wayside. Though FM uses compression and limiting,the dynamics are still better than this much touted digital radio. I heard "Money" by Pink Floyd last night. This song has great dynamics,but after the sax solo,when the band really goes full tilt,this crescendo is no louder than the cash registers in the opening. I don't know, Does the quietness of digital justify a limited dynamic range?

I guess I have not noticed the compression, but then again I have only had it on when I was doing things around the house. I will listen more closely this evening.

It could be that they have to compress the signal, so as to get that many channels as well as video feed for all the stations that Dish has available right now.

I am certainly not an expert on digital comression.

Tons of compression. Although i only heard it over the phone. I have dish but stick with the smallest package as i am on a budget(tight wad). But what i mean is their movies are so compressed. I mean damn it's almost not worth having hometheater. Well it still is, but it doesn't compare against a dvd or vhs sound wise.

Hello:

Compressed so as to keep volume the same if you are not near enough to either raise or lower.

A number of FM stations compress their signal - we have become used to that much. Now the compression becomes even more of a factor if you can pick one type of music, set your home system to listen and go about your chores - no blasting - no too quiet.

Win dodger

Yes i have noticed certain channels by the same company (hbo) are at different levels. Also some just plain stink like locals. The original hbo sounds good. It's almost not even worth it for any of the premium networks. You get what four new movies if your lucky a month. That you probally already seen. Better off renting dvd's and save money. Plus it's much more fun, and hay if we all did they may come down on the prices. Heck i think i seen almost every movie that i would want to see on all of the premium networks.