how do i get rid of some of the brightness on my rf-35's?

companion

Hello, i was wondering how i can decrease the brightness in my rf-35's i am running a yamaha dsp-a3090 i want the speakers to sound more full and rich sounding now they sound kind of airy sounding. If any one could help that would be great

Thanks,

i think i should explain a little more, i have a little yammi 2 channel system in my bedroom (50 watts into 2 channels) and i got it for nighttime listening, well it always kept me awake, with yammi or klipsch rf3 speaks it was just so harsch, soundstage stage terrible, no mids and bass overstated. so much so that i never played it. i moved my heresies upstairs to try to resolve this problem and it was terrible the same results except a larger sound stage, so i went on e bay 2 weeks ago, and bought an older NAD 7220PE stereo reciever, it was professionally cleaned and looks brand new. it was an easy switchout, i placed it on top of my yammy, switched out the speaker cables and plugged it in, immediatly i saw the difference everything was where it belonged, soundstage, all mids tweets and bass were very well balanced, and the power, it is an 35 watt into 2 channel amp and i am estimating at about 5-7 watts i cant hear myself talk, for 138 dollars this is 1 of the best investments i have recently made. the yammy is in a box, ready to be sold, but i wont ever do yammi again (a little sidenote, it also has terrible re-sale value), i originally bought it because the reputation thier older gear used to carry, but now there are so many alternatives, and better sounding ones more importantly, i know thier build quality is great, and with some speakers they might shine, but not with klipsch, not with klipsch 12.gif

Another satisfied Forum customer no one Klipsch let us perform this customer service for them credible sound advice for almost free do us a favor in return be sure to post your movie and music tastes, room dimensions and front-end equipment in your system profile, this will help forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers 3.gif

As you can see, I have the DSP-A1000 and mine are bright also. I am now in the middle of upgrading. At moderate volumes it actually sounds very good but it gets harsh at reference levels. You need a new receiver.

Try maybe an H/K, Denon, NAD or B&K or something along those lines that have the reputation of working well with Klipsch.

Changing your receiver or any of your other gear will make very little difference. Those that think it does are fortunate because their minds are easily fooled into happiness.

I'd second the advice to concentrate on room treatments and speaker placement, if this does not do the trick then you need different speakers.

----------------

On 5/30/2004 9:19:39 PM Pistol Pete wrote:

A source is a source and amplification is amplifcation. Think about this for awhile and its easy to see that the largest variables are at the end of the speaker wire and the listeners ears.

----------------

But if that was the case then it wouldn't matter what we used to push our speakers. Are you suggesting that a Magnavox DVD player connected to a magnavox reciever would sound just as smooth as a rotel DVD player connected to a Rotel reciever? ie "A source is a source and amplification is amplification" ? What then would be the point of using a Denon avr-1603 vs a 5803? I have a pioneer vsx-d 811s reciever and it is noticeably harsher at high volumes than a few H/K I have used. The bass is non-existant as well when compared to other recievers. I believe what you use to push your speakers is just as important as the speakers themselves. Please expand on your quote as I am curious to know what you mean.

----------------

On 5/30/2004 9:19:39 PM Pistol Pete wrote:

A source is a source and amplification is amplifcation. Think about this for awhile and its easy to see that the largest variables are at the end of the speaker wire and the listeners ears.
----------------

A little different line of thinking than what you had just not too long ago. Think about what you said, because you are absolutely correct.

I believe the reference was to room treatments and the speakers themselves. Would concur with that.

For more info, look at my review posted on DeanG.'s crossovers. Also agree with the significance of room treatments. Love that fiberglass. Thanks, to Ethan (RealTraps) and to Best Audio in St. Louis!!

Carl.

Pistol Pete is a traitor. Anybody who says Changing your receiver or ANY OF YOUR OTHER GEAR will make very little difference is NOT a loyal tweaking audiophile. Besides, he has DENON receiver. Changing gear is what this hobby is all about. That is one reason why so many of us buy used so we can sell it for close to what we paid for it and get something else! Seriouly though, Pistol (we call him PP for short, nothing to do with his short shooter, actually he prefers the long gun), is right, the loudspeakers are the biggest bang for the buck in audio you get the largest improvement in audio quality with the least expenditure.

I am a confirmed tube-ophile. No guilty pleasure to admit there I am proud of it. But I have to admit my sweet little 70s vintage, solid-stte, single power supply harmon/kardon 330B receiver (free) is a revelation with big ole horns, more tube-like than modern, chintzy pieces of solid-state tin. There is a reason why there is a debate about Yammies on big ole horns: many people dont think they match very well.

Ditto on the RealTraps. You could make them yourself, but the thin metal frame looks professional. An inexpensive EQ can also help with that brightness.

1.gif

Just checked system profile youre 14! Quick, what does it sound like to hear the entire audio spectrum? No wonder the Yammies sound bright you can hear high frequencies! Now, when I was a young lad, I could hear so well that TVs and . 6.gif

Colin, you are right. In my review of Dean's crossovers, I ranked my most dramatic improvements as 1) room treatments, 2) different speakers, and 3) upgraded crossovers. This would be very closely followed by my move to separates, especially my Classe pre/pro. It is a nonsensical statement to say amplification/receiver/other tweaks does not matter. It especially matters with Klipsch speakers.

Carl.

He did upgrade his amplification to a Parasound HCA-1500, but was probably running it through the preamp section of his Denon. I'm one of those that thinks the preamp is more critical than than the amplifier. If I had to, I would be more likely to run a lesser "quality" amp, and put most of my money into the preamp or processor.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=49371

A problematic room definitely needs to be addressed before anything, and separates bring with them a quality unmatched by receivers. However, the speaker is the real "show stopper". I think Reference is outstanding just the way it is -- but no speaker is perfect. Speaker upgrades are the ultimate upgrades, but I think that if you can't afford $1000 or more to upgrade the speakers, or go with separates -- a few hundred into upgrading the speaker's internals is really the way to go. Naturally, if you are near the pinnacle of sound now, upgrading the crossovers takes you the rest of the way to the top -- and for very little money compared to gear upgrades that will never do what good crossover parts can do.

I believe with all of my heart that the Reference stuff can't be touched by anything out there unless you have some serious dough to spread around, and even then -- it's best to move to really big horns. Moving to a different brand or type of speaker just leaves a person with the same problem they started out with; trying to get real transparency out of their system, then spending thousands in gear upgrades trying to get it -- and finding it still isn't "there".

I talked a friend at work out of going that route. He's using JBL S-26s, and really wanted to upgrade his gear and speakers, but just didn't have the money. I had him talked into Klipsch, but the budget wouldn't allow for it -- so I talked him into upgrading what he had. I did all five speakers over a weekend, and as far as I know -- he's still using them.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140533

Even better, the idea caught on, and some of those guys have taken the bull by horns and tried it themselves.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142859

This isn't just shameless plugging for my work -- cuz I ain't never going to get rich doing it. I do it because It works and I believe in it -- and really enjoy having others fully enjoying their Klipsch experience.

At preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas, Steam asked other peoples opinions of DeanGs crossover upgrades (much beefy and better built than the stock crossovers). I strongly recommended them for many reasons:

First and by far the most important, they really made a subtle but important difference in the sound. DeanGs crossovers smoothed out the highs and made the RF7s tolerable, when they werent before.

Second, Streams few upstream complements were quite solid no weak links in the chain: new Cayin TA-30 integrated tube amplifier, SACD player

Stream wanted a flat frequency response for music (many dont). I dont know about his sub-woofer, but one good enough to fill in the RF7 would cost a lot unless he bought it used or made it himself. (Still an option though, most full range loudspeakers still need a deep or powerful sub for movies. Those sucking on tube fed power even more so.)

Stream was at school so room treatment was impractical

Nobody I know of is saying that Reference series drivers, cabinets or stuffings are inherently flawed, but the unseen crossovers could use some upgrading.

By the way, I disagree with DeanGod on many things; but then he starts and ends at different places on these tweaking audiophile journeys than I do:

1. first since loudspeakers are the only bargain in audio they are where you get the most bang for your buck: it makes sense that small steps there, like pulling them out from the front and side walls, makes tremendous leaps in sound quality and imaging

2. Improving the audio chain from the loudspeakers back is far more esoteric and skilled than merely swapping front-end equipment, but it can make tremendous improvement when you basically like the dynamics, sensitivity, soundstage, pace, texture and tones of the loudspeakers; ergo, new crossovers, drivers and stuffing should be a common, logical first step for upgrading home movie and music reproduction systems

3. Serious upgrades to the front end is expensive; better to start at the other end (that bang for your buck thing again)

2.gif