Bought Cornwalls Will My Vintage Kenwood Matchup

Hello,

im not very home audio smart,but i just purchased a set of klipsch cornwall 2"s, off a bud, going thru hard times.He hated to get rid of them, but anyway, there absolutly mint, been under cover for 11 yrs,{not a scratch}, my question is ,i also bought a vintage kenwood model eleven reciever,1976,bought in spain,wondering if itll matchup to the klipsch,and if ill get full sound quality from the klipsch from this reciever.

The reciever i sent out to an audio repairman to go thru, so i havent hooked it up yet to the klipsh .just wandering if i should spend another 300 to set up this reciever,for these speakers , or should i go with a newer reciever ??

sean,

Welcome!

Congratulations on your Cornwall purchase. You'll be hooked for life on the Heritage sound. But if you don't like 'em I'll give you a couple of hundred and drive to Bangor to pick them up.:)

There is a lot of good information here on the forum.

For a lot less than $300 do what Rick said. Find a vintage HK X30 dual power supply reciever for your Corns.

Rick

May I suggest something else? look at NAD products. Their smallest amp, the C320BEE, is an absolute gem. I m using it with my Scalas and it s absolutely smooth sounding, but very detailed and extremely dynamic. A real rollercoaster. they have great receivers too...

just my two cents2.gif and welcome to the club! you ll enjoy the cornwalls for a very, very long time.

I ran a 1976 kenwood KR-9600 with my cornwalls for 23 years. Sounded great. Give it a try. You may be suprised. Kenwood made some quality receivers back in the 70s.

BTW - $300 is a lot to spend. I'm not familiar with that model. Is it SS or tube? If SS, don't spend that kind of money! I had mine completely gone over, cleaned, etc. for $90 and it's a beast of a receiver.

Sean, go ahead and post your room dimensions, music tastes and components of your home movie and music reproduction system in your profile that way, we can look it up and give you expert advice.

Both of my vintage solid-state receivers sound great with big ole horns, one is a vintage solid-state harmon/kardon 330B receiver, the other is a hefty Nikko that I know nothing about, except it cost $150 to repair a few years ago- sound nicer and runs better than neighbors newer $500 Sony receiver. 3.gif

----------------

On 6/1/2004 8:50:05 AM NOSValves wrote:

BDC,

What are you using the M-Audio 24/96 card for ?

Craig

----------------

I'm using it in my "music server", as per your suggestion, so I can play some high quality mp3s through my Fortes.

"one is a vintage solid-state harmon/kardon 330B receiver"

Hah! I picked up on of these at a yard sale for 30 bucks with a little pair of Advent bookshelf speakers for a friend of mine.

It looks new, with a nice wood case, and sounds great!

I was really tempted to just take it home for my Cornwalls!

The 330B is a pretty little vintage reciever.

Nah, nah, na-na-nah, mine was free, mine was free-

a friend got it for $5 and GAVE it to me, so there!

(they go for up to $75 on eBay and I think they are worth thrice that to tweaking audiophiles with big ole horns)

3.gif