RF-5 with RB-5's as surrounds??

Max_Durham

I have the opportunity to upgrade my system to the following:

*RF-5 for $1000 for the pair

*RB-5 for $300 for the pair (floor model)

*RC-7 for $540

Note: This would be an authorized dealer/storefront purchase.

The upgrade is going into our new house (thus we have a very limited budget and simply can't afford the RF-7's now) with a 25'X25' bonus room. My wife and I use our current system for 60% music (getting into SACD) and 40% movies.

-Is this a good/great price?

-Will we be happy with the RB-5's as surround speakers? I'm mostly concerned about movies. I would think they would be awesome for SACD/DVD-A.

-Will the RC-7 overwhelm the RF-5's?

Thanks for your input.

Max

Well, its somewhat hard to tell to me but I got my RF-7s for 1350 and I know thats a good deal. For RB-5IIs for 300 to me is a good price. I think on the RC-7 I can get for 500, so I think your in the right range. The RC-7 is much better the RC-3 and won't have a problem keeping up with your mains. Alot of people like monopoles for surrounds so RB-5s would be a nice match.

CD

*RF-5 for $1000 for the pair - not a great price, but its offset by

*RB-5 for $300 for the pair (floor model) - a really good price, if they come with a warrantly

*RC-7 for $540 - average

I'm currently using the RB-5's for surrounds with RF-7's. I think you'll find its a nice combo.

The RC-7 will not overwhelm the RF-5's.

Helpful info for further analysis - what are you powering all this with?

The RC7 will not overwelm the RF5's. As long as your system is calibrated correctly they will compliment each other nicely. That is the set up I had untill today when I upgraded to the RF7's. I liked the RF5's so much that they will be going back to the bedroom for a 2 chanel system. Be sure you get a good sub for your .1, Carl

Thanks guys for your input. It sounds as if the RF-5's and RC-7 will be fine together and the RB-5's will be good for surrounds. I am planning to work on the price a little more, but it sounds as if I'm already at a decent or average deal.

I will power the speakers with a Yamaha RXV-1200. I would like to upgrade, but that will wait until the next upgrade bug bites.

Max