Do i need a amplifier?

caveboy

Just be prepared for that slippery slope. If you purchase an amp for your Reference sevens, a pre/pro upgrade cannot be far off ...........1.gif

Oh, but to answer your question, yes. Especially if you want to get some real bass out of your RF-7s.

Carl.

I believe so. One of the newer 7.1 Denon models with 120 advertised watts/channel X 7.

I guess the old adage does apply. If he is dissatisfied with the sound he is getting with the Denon/Reference 7 combo, then, by all means, welcome to the upgrade club. If he is satisfied, however, I would not recommend upgrading just because a number of us have gone that route. In the end, all you have to do is to satisfy your own ears.

Again, its a slippery slope....

Carl.

Yeah its one of the new 7.1(been out a few months). I have the same setup and was wondering(since I've never used seperate amps) what I could expect SQ wise. Guess I have to $$ to find out.

Which Amp would you recommend to improve front SS -

B&K 2003 (200x3)

Sunfire Grand Cinema II (225x5)? :o)

Here's the old 'efficiency equation' from when I worked at a pa/lighting company. The boss would always make the new guys work this out to understand why we carried Industrial LaScalas for our portable disco/pa rigs.

If you had a pair of LaScalas and a Crown DC300 amplifier, how many Bose 901's and amps would it take to equal the SPL?

here's how to get started: The LaScalas are what, 104db with one watt input? each doubling of amplifier power increases SPL by 3 db. So the DC300 being 150 watts per channel (I'm going from memory here) gives you 2 watts=107db, 4watts=110db, and so on. Then figure the BOSE at around 86 dbSPL and you would have to carry a room full of them and a ridiculous amount of amps to equal the kick of one Klipsch stack.

Work this out and enjoy! you might also substitute your favorite modern speakers into the equation, like RF7's and Bose 'lifestyle' baby cubes.

Michael

• Like 1

I have had a Denon 3803 running my HT for some time now - however, for the Front Left and Right Speakers (La Scalas), I use a Linn MK85. Works like a charm - the La Scalas come alive, virtually. The two other discernable benefits are : 1) The Denon has plenty of power for the center and rears and 2) when I use the HT for stereo music listening, it works quite well (since the Denon is acting only as a pre-amp).