Bi-amping Klipschorn? / Eico HF-81 question??

tcb

I have to disagree on the Eico 81 bass comment above. I dont find it flabby at all at least not in applications I have tried. I consider the 81 bass a strong suit as far as integrateds go. I will admit that setup and room are extremely important but the little 81 has very nice bass.

We did a little demo this weekend on a Pilot 232, a Fisher 202 chassis, and the Eico HF81. We used Boz Scaggs(Silk Degrees,) Dave Brubeck(Time Out,) and Lee Morgan(Sidewinder) as our demo Cds. Of the stock 232, 202, and rebuilt HF 81, the most accurate bass reproduction followed the respective listing above. The audio engineer among us made sure we were delivering the same output outta the amp sections, and the Eico was the caboose car.

If you are looking at biamping, the Eico would be stellar for this application, but you will be coming up short even with an HF81 rebuilt and tweaked specifically to squeeze more bass out of its design as an all encompassing flogged drafthorse. It's partly the integrated amp, and partly the EL84 output tube, but it was hunting for David Hungate for quite a while, and could never decide how it wanting him to play, and where to anchor him.JMO

TCB, in a couple weeks, a friend is scheduled to get an SVS subwoofer, and we will either be running the sub with the summed center off a 299D, or a 299C passive center pushing a SS monobloc. There is an earlier thread regarding passive vs active crossovers in context with biamping that may be beneficial to read. The Quicksilver M60s that Dean and I have run do a credible job in the bass department for under a grand, with EL34s, NOT the 8147 based predecessor.

----------------

On 6/6/2004 1:48:56 PM tcb wrote:

Paulparrot,I understand that you had more than one HF-81.What are the good and bad things about 81 ??

----------------

Good, the EICO HF-81 has a luscious sound to it. Bad, it has a luscious sound to it. I loved its sweet sound initially, it made all recordings new again, but eventually I felt it was making everything artificially sweet. It could be just the ticket for some people, since people have different taste.

Another problem, a biggie, is getting one with a quiet power transformer. If you manage that, it can be pretty satisfying.

I have a very nice example of the Eico HF-81. It was dead quiet to begin with. After going through it and replacing all the coupling and power supply caps, it is still dead quiet. More than that it offers very good, punchy bass, not boomy. IF I had a set of Klipschorns, I don't believe the Eico would leave me wanting anything else - at least nothing below $2 grand. As it is, 14 watts just isn't enough for me all the time - most of the time yes.