No more optical digital outs?

kenratboy

Is it just me, or are most DVD players (even ones at $100) not coming with optical digital outs? It seems only the most expensive players have optical digital outs, while everything else has coaxial outs on it.

Any ideas? Is it just a move to save a dime per unit?

----------------

On 6/9/2004 2:02:07 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I keep reading so many things that say digital coax is better, perhaps it is slowly becoming a defacto standard and low cost gear is only including that conection to save money?

----------------

I think that you are right that they are saving money. However, to me, the jury is still out on coax vs. fiberoptic. Yes, I know, the traditional wisdom is that coax is better (less processing), and most of the time, I run movies or music through a nice coax. However, I just recently upgraded my optical run on my Denon 2900 to an Audioquest Optilink 3, and I really like its sound, even for music. With many available digital inputs available on my pre/pro, I run both a coax and an optical out of my 2900 (as well as analogs for SACD,DVD-Audio), then just switch around, depending on my mood.

It's a shame that some manufacturers would cut down on available outputs to save money because some receivers/pre-pros have a limited number of digital inputs.

After all, its good to have options.

Carl.

I'm running optical and Firewire where I can and I love it. It certainly cuts down on the "spiders nets" of yesteryear!

I could be mistaken, but I swear I read some place about a year ago that there was no difference in the resultant signal quality of digital coaxial and optical.

I've used both with good results. I think the coax might sound a bit thicker for music though. But then again i might think the optical is better for movies. So it's probally not a big deal. Although i will use coax if i have a choice in the matter. Music>movies imo, but I love and have to have both. Or i will freak out!

--------------------------------------

On 6/9/2004 8:49:29 PM wheelman wrote:

I've used both with good results. I think the coax might sound a bit thicker for music though. But then again i might think the optical is better for movies. So it's probally not a big deal. Although i will use coax if i have a choice in the matter. Music>movies imo, but I love and have to have both. Or i will freak out!

--------------------------------------

wheelman: Interesting that you would notice a difference as I always believed that because both TosLink and Coax are supossedly passing nothing more than ones and zeros that there would be no coloration. I'll have to set up a little experiment and give your theory a try. (Geez, when do I EVER have time 15.gif)

D-MAN: I tend to agree with you. The TosLink was probably eliminated as a cost save on the less expensive units without the loss of functionality or sound quality because I would imagine that it costs alot more to provide an optical pipeline than just a simple coaxial connector. This is the same type of cost-save strategy that the auto industry uses: Now you know what happened to those lights that used to flank each side of the vanity mirrors on the sun visors of some cars: The mirror is still there, but in many cases the lights and the protective doors are gone! 2.gif

Most players I have seen come with both. There are one or two

that only come with one. As far a some and most people don't

know or care I think these people still use analog stereo out

and think they are listening to DD 5.1.

Iqnorance is not Bliss.10.gif

Coax makes sense to me, since only ones or zero's are transmitted through the digital cable. your equipment Recreates the sound once it receives the "road map" of how to do it. The only advantage to optical digital is if your DVD player is in New York and your Processor is in California and zero time delay is a necessity.

----------------

On 6/10/2004 7:47:35 AM the plummer wrote:

Coax makes sense to me, since only ones or zero's are transmitted through the digital cable. your equipment Recreates the sound once it receives the "road map" of how to do it. The only advantage to optical digital is if your DVD player is in New York and your Processor is in California and zero time delay is a necessity.

----------------

Actually Toslink is a terrible choice for such a run. Light intensity would surely fail without numerous repeaters in the chain - Tos is only an acceptable transmission medium for runs up to 4 meters. Coax can go much farther than this without problems.

The real issues with either of these formats that plague cheap DVD players all over the place is the lack of isolation between the oscillating crystal and the trasnport mechanism. If that crystal and the DAC chips aren't shielded magnetically, it doesn't matter what you connect to transmit the signal, you've already lost the jitter war inside the box (unless it's one of those units someone mentioned a while back that had a BNC wordclock connection to slave to an external clock)