KLF 10 or 20 vs. RF-35

zoran13

at what price? retail?

Ya betta go ahead and post your room dimensions, music tastes and the components of your home movie and music reproduction system in your Forum profile that way, we can look it up anytime we provide expert advice.

2.gif

Looking to spend $700 max on a pair (gently used or new)

I want them mainly for music .. rock (see: Zeppelin, Yes, etc ..), ambient, vocals.

I will not be using a seperate sub at all .. don't require much bass.

Would like to utilize the SC-1 and a pair of SB.1's I already have along with my A/V receiver (HK AVR320)

However, for better musicality, would consider upgrading to a Denon or NAD but would prefer to have an all-in-one amp/receiver solution like this.

Room dimensions are roughly 17 X 15, carpeted, high cieling.

Very tempted to go with the SF-3's as they are at Best Buy which is around the block from me and would be $699 total.

Still, I know that the RF-35 or certainly the KLF-20 would be better choices if we are just talking about mains irregardless of the "cheapie" peripheral Klipsch's I already have.

I doubt whether I will be able to find the RF-35 or the KLF20's though at $700 for the pair.

Several questions here (I know) but trying to piece it together before I make any more mistakes :)

Thanks

I own the KLF10's driven by a Jolida 202a tube amp. I like these speakers and I think they compare favourably with the latest Reference series and are certainly an improvement on the KG5.5's which I used to own. However in hindsight I should have purchased the KLF20's. The 20's during the initial audition with the 10's had more mid range presence and an overall smoother sound. The reason I purchased the 10's instead was that they were in stock in the veneer I wanted and I saved some money over the 20's.

For your use as rock speakers and given the current amp I can recommend the 20's. They have great bass for rock and are more than capable of loading a room with bass.

Another option in that price range is the Forte. The Forte's will trade a little bit of the upper bass hump, which makes the 20's such a good rock speaker, for a little more midrange clarity and deep tight bass.

{putting on flame suit} Also consider that 20's would mate better with your SS AVR where the Forte's will leave you wanting to try tubes (not that you couldn't with the 20's but that's not part of your current equipment or your request).

Thanks you guys

Well, I am going to sell the HK AVR320

Think it best to rethink some things

I am left with several choices then for main speakers:

The SF-3's for $699 total

The KLF-20's for $890 total

or the RF-35's for $715 total

I really want to go with NAD to power them

Which speakers?

I want clarity and detail in the mid and high-range first, booming bass is not a big deal as I've said.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the KLF-10's like them alot. Purchased SF-3's The SF-3's sound better than the KLF-10's side by side. Using same power amp, Same room, same positions. The sf-3 has an overall smoother sound. The eight inch woofers really suprised me ecspecially with cabinet size as a factor. Actually have more punch than the 10 inchers in klf'S. Defies logic. I believe klipsch took the RF-3 and made the SF-3 out of it using woofer materials as used in klf series with aluminum tweeters. The specs ,size, wieght, everything identical. Just no pretty gold color.

klf-20 all the way. They are a outstanding rock speaker. i would think you could get them cheaper then that used though. I have seen them run for less then that on ebay. of course there is shipping involved though. the other two choices are good too though.

I have had KLF10s and now have Chorus IIs ad Forte IIs. The CDs in my CD player right now are Audioslave, Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver and Nine Inch Nails, so you can see where my musical tastes are. The Forte and Chorus flatten the KLFs in every category. They have tighter, deeper bass, clearer mids and highs, and superior soundstages. They also will blast them out of the room if it's party time. 11.gif

----------------

On 6/25/2004 2:14:26 AM killerbee_vr6 wrote:

I have had KLF10s and now have Chorus IIs ad Forte IIs. The CDs in my CD player right now are Audioslave, Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver and Nine Inch Nails, so you can see where my musical tastes are. The Forte and Chorus flatten the KLFs in every category. They have tighter, deeper bass, clearer mids and highs, and superior soundstages. They also will blast them out of the room if it's party time.
11.gif

----------------

have you heard the 20's or 30's how do myou think they compair. the 10's are the lowest in the line.

My mom had klf30s until the front panels on each came unglued. They were similar to the Chorus/Forte, with less low bass and somewhat brighter. The ports would become audibly overloaded and the bass would lose focus at high volumes. I wouldn't consider the KLF series if the Quartet/Forte/Chorus was available for the same price. I worked at a stereo shop that had multiple front/rear panel failures of the KLF series.

----------------

On 6/25/2004 4:40:22 PM killerbee_vr6 wrote:

My mom had klf30s until the front panels on each came unglued. They were similar to the Chorus/Forte, with less low bass and somewhat brighter. The ports would become audibly overloaded and the bass would lose focus at high volumes. I wouldn't consider the KLF series if the Quartet/Forte/Chorus was available for the same price. I worked at a stereo shop that had multiple front/rear panel failures of the KLF series.

----------------

I guess that is why i use a sub. not enough bass for me, needed more and i don't want to adjust the bass or treble knobs. i want a flat freq responce out from the reciever. I always wanted a pair of chorus II's, they quite making them right when i just started getting into audio. my front and back panel on one of my klf-20's came unglued twice. I can't afford to by another set of speakers right now, so i will just keep gluing them back together until I can afford, a different pair, probaly heritage speakers.9.gif the question still remains though, of the klf-10, klf-20, or rf-35, which would you choose.