Need new DVD Player

redtop

My DVD player died last night. No power lights. Actually I've been looking forward to upgrading later this summer. I just was not prepared to make a decision yet.

My general parameters are this...

** Budget - $700 or less

** Primary use - 100% movies

** Future considerations - Building a dedicated home theater (16'x 27') later this summer with front projector(screen size 8'x 6').

My priorities are video quality and sound reproduction in that order. Features such as DVD-A, SACD, etc. will probably never be used. So tell me...what would you do? 4.gif

Thanks in advance.

Redtop

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Samsung mentioned above touts an upscaling feature. Sounds interesting...anybody ever seen this in action? Is it an order of magnitude better image or just marketing hype? Also, does it require a special hi-res projector or other digital device to gain a benefit from it?

One other related question comes to mind about this Samsung...before I get my projector, will this Samsung offer any advantages with my 32" analog TV?

Sorry about all the questions, but there are a lot more details to figure out with these DVD players than I ever imagined. I'm asking the questions here, because I respect the opinions here much than over at Home Theater Forum and AVSForum.

Thanks again.

Redtop

P.S. BTW, I am not without a DVD Player. I "borrowed" the kids cheapy Cyberhome DVD player. hehehe...it's mine now until I can sort out all the options.

RedTop,

Speaking about Samsung players, HD841 and soon to be released hd941 replace hd931. I did get Samsung HD841 from BestBuy a couple of days ago just out of curiosity - I wanted to find out how much I will benefit from connecting an upscaling DVI equipped player versus my current Pio Elite DV50A. I will attache a couple photos with a snapshot of a dentist dude from Finding Nemo. The first one to come is the snapshot taken when Samsung was sending the video signal through its component video out.

post-12165-1381925593336_thumb.jpg

And just for comparison, here's a similar frame played by my current Pio Elite DV50A via component video.

In my particular setup with my display (Sceptre 30" LCD TV) I did not see any major advantages of upscaled DVI output compared to progressive component signal. DOes not mean you will not benefit from it on larger screens. Just FYI.

I expected to see a totally noise-less DVI signal, but in terms of noise it was about the same as component. You will see slight coloration differences. THose are more attributed to the fact that Samsung does not have any video adjustments over DVI. Sceptre has limited (brightnesss, contrast) setting adjustments for DVI input. So I was less flexible in setting up a perfect picture via DVI than compared to the level of control I have with component source.

Samsung hd841 is very light weight and has less than perfect build quality. My main gripe in this respect is that its connectors on rear panel are really flimsy and made me anxious not to push the interconnects to hard. Audio wise , this player is OK in all modes, but does not beat my DV50A, and is definitely less impressive audio wise than let's say Denon DVD2900 which I used to own as well.

Btw, in the photos, you might see a green speckle on the dude's left cheek - disregard that - its something with my camera - not with the player or a display.

If you have any more questions about my observation, please ask.

post-12165-1381925594195_thumb.jpg

Great stuff Taurus!

That's why I prefer to get my information here. No BS, just the facts...9.gif

How would you compare the video and audio features of the Pioneer DV50A vs. the Denon 2900 you used to own? I'm especially curious about your statement regarding the Denon 2900's audio capabilities. Do some DVD players color the audio signal? I was always under the impression it was just a Dolby Digital or DTS "pass though" to the receiver for processing. Guess that shows how much I don't know...5.gif

I'd like to hear more about the "sound" aspect when you get a moment.

Thanks again.

redtop

There is also another "hot" upscaler that just came out. Believe it or not, Zenith offers the DVB318, that upscales to 1080i through DVi and also supposedly, through component. Unfortunately, this model is only available from about three or four sources nationwide (not exactly sure why Circuit and Best Buy do not have it yet). Anyway, there's been tons of chatter on forums about this player, and most of the initial impressions posted have been good (except for some white push through the DVi input). I ordered one from a Michigan distributor, and my first one arrived, not wanting to play any discs (must be a misaligned laser). My replacement is due to arrive on Monday, and I will let you know what I think after I hook it up to my plasma. I am not thrilled that the first one was defective, but if the upscaling improves the pic even marginally vs. the typical 480 output, I am willing to put up with the early hassle.

Oh, the best thing? It costs only $170-$220 depending on where you purchase it from. For that amount of money, its a risk worth taking.

If you want to read up on it, there is a monster thread on the player over in the DVD players section over in the AVSForum.

Carl.

P.S. I run a Denon DVD-2900 with my primary system. Incredible audio and video. Would seem like overkill for you since you do not plan on using DVD-Audio or SACD.

Thanks for the info Carl on both the new Zenith and on the Denon. I'll mosey on over to the AVSForum to get up to speed on the Zenith.

What makes the Denon 2900 have better audio (or video) than others?

Redtop

Just high quality video and sound processors. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. The 2900 has an excellent picture in 480, and it also has superior audio, including DVD-Audio and SACD. Trust me, I think its a great universal player (and DVD player), and I would never steer anyone away from it. Oh, by the way, I purchased mine from refurbished from an authorized online Denon dealer (available on their website), and it has worked flawlessly for eight months.

I just think that if you are not focusing on the audio/musical side of things, there may be less expensive options for you that may provide you just as good as picture (and even upscaling if you are running HDTV or EDTV), but just without the commensurate audio benefits, musical mainly.

The upscaling option is really intriguing with the Zenith, and I will post my thoughts early next week after hooking it up.

Carl.

Carl,

I look forward to your thoughts on the Zenith.

I don't have an "audiophile" grade of sound system, but if there is a noticable difference in sound or video reproduction, I don't want to miss it because my DVD player was not up to par. My education is just lacking when it comes to DVD players. I always thought that a $200-$300 player got you 90% of what a $1000-$2000 player in the video and sound departments. Just without a lot of the features (SACD DVD-A, etc).

If that is not the case, then that is why I am here... to be educated by the masters...2.gif

Thanks for your follow-up.

Redtop

I do think that the primary differences between the $100-$300 players and the more expensive players come mainly on the audio end. Yes, the universal player do offer additional features (DVD-Audio, SACD), but typically the higher end players feature significantly better audio processors. This can show in the players' ability to play CDs, and it also comes out in movies. For example, I used to run a pretty decent CD player, just for CDs, prior to buying the 2900, and the 2900 convinced me that a DVD player can also excel at playing normal discs. As to movies, I have heard separation and detail I have never heard before in certain movies.

With respect to video, the gap becomes much closer. For example, there are certain Panasonic DVD players that you may be able to still find used (1-3 years old) that put out incredible pictures in 480. Most of these players new were in the $150-$250 range and used the same video chip as the old Denon 1600. Before I bought the Zenith, I almost pulled the trigger on one on ebay. Unfortunately, Panasonic messed with success because the word on the street (and the reviewers) was that the newer models use a video processor that just is not as good.

Carl.

----------------

On 6/11/2004 11:55:34 AM TauRus wrote:

In my particular setup with my display (Sceptre 30" LCD TV) I did not see any major advantages of upscaled DVI output compared to progressive component signal. DOes not mean you will not benefit from it on larger screens. Just FYI.----------------

TauRus makes a very good point, YMMV depending on display. I have done the same comparison between the SAMSUNG HD841 and Denon 2900 on my 65" CRT HDCP equipped RPTV and my comments are that both units have their pluses and minuses. At 65" the lower resolution of the Denon is obvious in a slightly softer, but no less pleasant picture. Since my RPTV is a CRT it can display true blacks so that the black details in DVI are better than they would be on TauRus's display (LCD's characteristically cannot display true blacks). Properly set up the Samsung has more saturated primary colors, which some may find more or less pleasing depending on taste, and could be a future asset since you plan to migrate to a front projector. The SACD audio on the Samsung is superior sounding with MY Rotel Equipment and Reference 7s than the Denon. The Denon sounds a bit bright and harsh, while the Samsung is smooth as silk. The unit has surprisingly high quality DACs for it's price point. This may not make any difference to you now, but may in the future. For example, I never had any interest in SACD until purchasing the 841. Since it was something I could try out without major cost (three cables and a couple of SACDs), I did, and found SACD is something I couldn't be without ever again.

I too noticed the flimsy feeling connectors for the analog audio on the HD841, but since most people will make only one attachment to the machine in it's lifetime, I don't think that will ever be a problem. While I am a quality nut, I certainly don't think that the build quality, performance or name recognition of the Denon is worth 4 times what the Samsung is. (Perhaps that is the reason I wear a TAG rather than a Rolex). Besides, at $200 for the Sammy if a newer, better technology unit arrives next year, I can replace the unit without feeling much guilt. Also, I prefer the lower profile of the Samsung, it fits better into my rack than the Denon would. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Jerry Rappaport

Thanks Carl, Boomer and Prince. More good ideas. I'll have to admit, that I am leaning a little bit towards the new breed of players with video upscaling capabilities. This is not a sound be damned approach, but as Prince stated a $200-$300 player is much closer to a "throw-away" if in 2 years "the ultimate" comes along...3.gif

I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything, so any other opinions on this are still quite welcome.

Thanks to all.

Redtop

One additional thing to consider. The Samsung upscaler that was mentioned above; I do not know if it upscales through both DVi and component. The Zenith 318 that I will be hooking up within the next couple of days upscales through both DVi and component and apparently does it better, believe it or not, through the component inputs. This might be a consideration if you do not currently have a TV with DVi input.

Carl.

Carl,

Good point on the component upscaling availability as I will not have DVI until I get the projector.

Now...where is the review you promised...9.gif Sorry guess I'm getting a little bit too excited...4.gif

Redtop