DeanG custom 2uF Jensen vs Hovland

leok

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 6/16/2004 8:10:43 PM Dflip wrote:

For interest sake, the Hovlands that I have in my Cornwalls are 100 V. This appears to be the standard voltage for Hovland speaker caps. I think you may have had a little overkill going on there.
3.gif

Don----------------

I bet they sound better then the Oils I can hardly wait till I get to try the Jensons. Give me clarity or give me death 2.gif I'm lovin these Auricap Hovland type A's for sure.

Craig

The Jensen site says he makes 100 and 200vdc cap in PIO. Maybe you received the extras from another special order. The main values are correct, I wonder how the higher value would affect the sound?

Dean, just another question for you to ponder

The 2uF caps were rolled for me, and I had 18 shipped. That would be a hell of a lot of "left over" caps. I'll find out what the deal is. It doesn't really matter to me. I mean, the Auricaps are 200vdc, and they sound pretty darn good. It's a minor thing, and I can't imagine it would effect the sonic signature of the cap. But hey, what do I know (don't answer that).16.gif

Why PIOs sound better than Auricaps has puzzled me.

I stumbled across this article today, and found the "conclusions" rather interesting.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/auricap_e.html

In regards to PIO: "...with paper in oil ones. I obtained a beautiful, lustful sound, with a lot of detail and a huge amount of depth. Really attractive. The depth is exceptional... Ah, but the sound is really lustful...".

Kind of mirrors what Leok is saying. But ... on reading further ...

"Which is the obvious perfect alternative to a coupling capacitor? A straight wire, obviously. ...And the test was really revealing. The Auricaps are rather difficult to distinguish from a direct connection. The paper in oil caps instead can be easily distinguished: as a matter of fact they outline a much more detailed, precise, deep and realistic soundstage, but such a soundstage is simply not present in the original signal!

It is the result of a very peculiar form of colouration, that is evident in comparing the caps with the direct connection, and that makes the medium and lower frequencies thinner and lighter than normal."

So maybe this explains what is going on with the PIOs. They are imparting a pleasant coloration!

Lynn Olsen who designed the Arial and tried out a lot of caps along the way says the exact same thing. Even the best caps, sound coloured to his ears. That's why he prefers transformer-coupling in his amps.

PIOs must colour in a nice way which appeals to some people.