Points to Ponder

dodger

Hello:

This is a mixed bag of my thoughts regarding the Two (2) Channel Audio Section:

1. What is the future for Two (2) channel? We have many new "upgrades" and speaker "systems" arriving. Leaving out the high priced equipment, Two (2) Channel Equipment is falling down the chain.

2. Why is it that when we pass the age of Forty (40) we become very opinionated. Although I am not a fan of HT, it's up to the owner.

3. Have we reached the pinnacle of Two (2) Channel that Companies see no need to truly have affordable, new equipment that is worthy of repair. Now a good part of new equipment is at the point where if it breaks down, throw it away and buy new.

4. Yes we have SET, PP, SS, Hybrid and each has supporters. But if we view it as equipment we can say I like McIntosh (the apples too), Marantz, Scott, Fisher and let each listen to SUGGESTED pieces rather than blanket statements.

5. This is a good Forum. As human beings, we are very biased and/or passionate about our equipment. We can temper those feelings by eliciting more information when questions are asked. We can keep budgets in mind.

6. As humans what we hear is colored by our hearing curve, likes/dislikes, room size and acoustics. The quality of the medium, the makinf and the Engineering all play a factor when we listen to a musical piece we have heard performed live.

7. As some come in to the Forum, the choice "Posted Today" is where we elect to start. That applies to me and some others that have mentioned the same. Thus we are all over the Sections and what I think is a good answer, coming from a Two (2) Channel point point of view is not applicable to multi-media.

8. Having been in some flames before, I have read some very good, well thought answers or comments that shut it down. We can all do that. It's self Policing and not biased.

9. I hope our Moderator has not felt attacked. She is doing her job. It's like serving Legal Process Papers - you may not like the papers but don't take it out on the one serving the papers.

10. Remember this is all opinion. Itmay be backed by facts, but the listener enjoys what they enjoy. If they are not happy, they can look to trade, sell, save - do what they need to obtain the equipment that THEY are happy with.

11. This Forum has provided many thoughts, ideas and correspondence with people we may never meet in person. We hold a number as cyber-friends. With the world becoming so impersonal this is a gift.

Win dodger

A well thought out reasoned approach to the topic.

Yeah two channel may be going the way of independent radio stations with the development of totally niche markets. There's no queston HT is driving the market, but there's still plenty of music lovers out there and more being made every day. The younger folks will start out with basic systems, but as they work their way up the economic food chain they'll be gettting better equipment. They'll also learn the number one rule of gear. Weather HT or 2 channel, your most important purchase is your two mains. Period.

Past 40. Why I have corns older then that sonny!

Flame wars. Some flame wars are really not flamers, but hotly debated scrums over ridgidly held positions. Some should be pulled, but others should stay.

I'm not saying it's an easy call, but from what I've seen in my time here, some of these threads shouldn't have been yanked. Some like the flame on a member reviewing budget DVD players should have been pulled. The way that member was insulted was way over the line.

Remember, the gear is the way to the music. Music lovers tend to be intelligent people. IF WE DIDN'T WANT OPINIONS WE WOULD NEVER LISTEN TO THE LYRICS. Klipsch must expect a certain amount of rowdiness, if not they have absolutely no idea why many people buy their speakers.

Time and time again on this forum, I've seen people who thought their replies were over the line, have immediately apologized and softeneded their tone or expanded upoon their post to clarify their thinking. This is the way to go. I for one am not looking over my shoulder, wondering what the corporate suits think when I launch a thread, but I am thinking about wether it will inform, or entertain, teach or learn.

"All politics is local" Tip O'Neill

I am looking for a nice, used 7.1 channel, 10-watt 2A3 SET receiver with universal disc player, tuner and auto EQ for less than a grand, WITH REMOTE CONTROL. As soon as NOSvalves refurbishes one, I buy it!

No fair bumping onthe same day ("hey, moderator!")

2.gif

----------------

On 6/18/2004 3:30:22 PM Colin wrote:

I am looking for a nice, used 7.1 channel, 10-watt 2A3 SET receiver with universal disc player, tuner and auto EQ for less than a grand, WITH REMOTE CONTROL. As soon as NOSvalves refurbishes one, I buy it!

No fair bumping onthe same day ("hey, moderator!")

2.gif

----------------

Hey Colin:

If I see something like that, you WILL be the first to know (after me.)

Sorry about bumping on the same day, as I'm just sitting and resting I wanted to respond should there be any questions.

Take Care,

Win dodger12.gif

LMAO!! I'm sure the speaks are on the other side of that long wall and sound wonderful. Only problem is, with two employees needed to keep the system running, you can't listen to it on Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and a few scattered personal days. 2.gif Also, did you notice they're using those new 6'x6' front loaded discs? From what I recall, they will each hold the equivalent of 83,629,480 average length mp3's. I like the idea of having them on coasters so they are easier to manuver. (sp) From the looks of it, that guy has QUITE the collection of music! 6.gif

my novice opinion

companies want to SELL you something....they used to really want to sell "parts" but not anymore. I toted around two old tube radios for 12 years they looked good but never worked and where I lived I could never find anyone to fix them. Moved to Dallas and had em playing in two weeks, and not real expensive. Folks don't want you to fix anything, we have become a throw away society.

I think alot of the flamin around here is just folks being bored. It's like getting more out of getting a computer game program working than actually playing the game. Folks get a kick out pushin folks buttons.

Hey did you see the pics PaulParrot posted for me over in HT?

Zapperman,. I know somebody who worked on Eniac and the sound was horrible, took several technicians hours to check and set all of the tubes and switches, finally had to use the 64K machine for mundane tasks like math calculations, the company (Univac) decided to go into the calculator business instead and audio has never been the same!

Don't give up on 2 channel so easily. I don't know whether you guys have noticed but there is a small but discernable move by certain manufacturers (including a very well known former cassette designer and a well known U.S. subwoofer manufacturer- although not quite in the Klipsch class)in providing 5.1 like surround sound from only 1 or 2 speakers. This technology utilises the very latest in digital acoustic research. I would imagine that 2 channel audio is only going to benefit from such developments as our understanding of the 'surround' sound concept improves. I thought that the introduction of the 'Q' sound as featured in Madonna's greatest hits collection was a great idea. It showed plenty of potential. I can imagine that many spouses may accept the introduction of the magnificent Klipschorn into a living room, but as soon as you try and introduce the centre, surrounds and the old .1 of the equation, conflict starts - and rightly so in many cases. I've been there and done that before I came to my senses. I think current 5.1 thinking is a bit archaic. Just throw as many speakers as you can and as many DSP configurations as you can think of into the pot and see what comes out. Unfortunately in many cases we are left with a homogenous audio mess. The 5.1 channel/multi music channel formats are not helped by many audio engineers who think, "...great a new toy to play with..." without thinking through the consequences of messing with the natural soundstage. It's funny but while I was going through the stress of making sense of my whole 5.1 experience, my wife said; "...for goodness sake Edwin, what are you doing? You've only got two ears". Hey, she was right.