Tube Warm-Up

IB Slammin

IB,

Did you figure anything out?

Check all the dumb stuff first, like that the volume controls on this power amp are not turned off. That the speaker wires are connected to the amp and to the speakers. That the fuse is working--take it out and see if the wire is broken. With the unit unplugged, take each tube out one at a time, carefully, holding near the base, and then put it back in nice and firmly. Make sure that your preamp is connected properly and has the volume up some. Make sure your music source is connected into your preamp properly. Etc.

Considering the seller is willing to take it back with no hassle, he did not send you a known dead unit. So it may be something obvious that you are overlooking.

Does the variac have a meter on it (mine doesn't), or do you have an external meter to check to make sure the correct voltage is hitting the amp?

Those pics I found of that amp look like it is all point to point wiring. This must be something simple.

Marvel

----------------

On 6/20/2004 6:05:56 PM Marvel wrote:

Does the variac have a meter on it (mine doesn't), or do you have an external meter to check to make sure the correct voltage is hitting the amp?

Those pics I found of that amp look like it is all point to point wiring. This must be something simple.

Marvel
----------------

Pulled the cover and could see nothing obviously wrong to me. The variac has an amp meter, and it does not get off the peg.

tc

----------------

On 6/21/2004 7:43:00 PM Marvel wrote:

Terry,

I'll ask a dumb question -- are all the tubes in the right sockets? I assume the tubes were packed separately.

Marvel
----------------

Marvel, There is no question as dumb as I am about tube amps.

I will re-check them tonight, but there are four matching output tubes and four matching imput tubes. Would there be an order in the placement of the same tubes?

I am depressed. I have emailed the seller. Perhaps he will want to pay for me to have it looked at here before I ship it back to him.

Thanks,

Terry

----------------

On 6/22/2004 3:59:15 PM IB Slammin wrote:

I will re-check them tonight, but there are four matching output tubes and four matching imput tubes. Would there be an order in the placement of the same tubes?

----------------

No, that wouldn't matter.

Did the seller use/test the amp in the states with a variable power supply/ voltage converter?

U.S. power generally varies between 110V - 125V depending on location. But I don't know if it's safe to plug made-for-Japan electronics directly into American outlets.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 4:43:43 PM johnnyp wrote:

Did the seller use/test the amp in the states with a variable power supply/ voltage converter?

U.S. power generally varies between 110V - 125V depending on location. But I don't know if it's safe to plug made-for-Japan electronics directly into American outlets.
----------------

John, The seller claimed that he did. I know that I am starting to "grasp at straws" but with his permission I might ease the voltage up a bit. Again, the pilot light is on and output tubes are luke warm and input tubes stone cold. If it had been converted to 110v-125v, and I am putting 100v into it, I would think that the tubes would glow anyway. ?? But just sound weak. ??

I can't see anything that glares at me on the inside. There is a little bit of a black substance on the bottom of the inductor coil however.

Thanks for the help,

Terry

As Paul says, it wouldn't matter about the four tubes regarding placement. It uses SS rectification, so there isn't a rectifier tube (doh! I know, it was redundant). I was just thinkin' that an output tube might have gotten into the rect. socket, but since there isn't one ....

It is a cool looking amp.

Marvel