SPL meter

Doc Robin

I went to RS today and the guy looked at me like he had never heard of an SPL meter in his life. Funny, because his name tag said he'd had "3 years or service" at the store. I looked around on my own for about 5 minutes till I found the SPL meter they had on display. It was the new digital one, and it looked like they didnt even have any of those... only the display. I dislike that store more and more every time I go in there.

Some RadioShacks are like that...you come across one where the salespeople are somewhat knowledgable, and everything you're looking for is in stock. But 9 times out of 10 you hit those stores where the pimply-faced kids behind their counters look at you with blank stares on their pimply faces when you ask for a button cell battery (true story)!

Wasn't like that back in the late '60s early '70s when my dad and I used to patronize the Lafayette Electronics Store in Poughkeepsie, NY...older salesmen who've been into electronics their entire lives and knew their $hit, and the difference between a resistor and a diode and what aisle they were located in!

----------------

On 6/21/2004 5:58:45 PM Jay481985 wrote:

juba getting a little disgrunted lol

----------------

I know I am. Just purchased a spl meter from rat shack.$40.00 BUCKS! and now I see this. Rat Shack, you suck.........Sorry about that rant, but it felt good. 7.gif

I do believe this has been covered in another thread, nonetheless...

The R/S stores that are corporate owned have a national locater on their computers. I had one check for the old model analog meter a week or so ago, and they said there were NONE available at the corporate owned stores. Anywhere. That doesn't mean there might not be the odd one here or there sitting on a independant dealers shelf, but it would be very hit and miss to find one. The old ones are getting closed out because they have come out with a new model, looks about the same, probably just a different supplier. The new one costs $40. The old one, if you can find one, will probably be cheaper since it's a closeout deal. Much like last years model tv, car or lawnmower, if you can find last years in stock somewhere, it'll probably be cheaper. When they're all gone, you either buy the new model or go without. It's $40. A couple cds or albums. For what it tells you about your system, I'd say it's well worth the asking price. JMHO, of course.

----------------

On 6/21/2004 6:47:49 PM Jay481985 wrote:

ozz did you get the new one or old one. I have the old one which looks like a rectangle the new one looks like a circlish thing

----------------

I got the circle looking one, the newer model I guess, but for $15.00 the original would of been just fine for me if rat shack would of mentioned it. Oh well, Im calibrated!16.gif

I stopped by the nearest RS on my way home from work today. They were out of stock on the $14 unit, but their computer said two stores within 10 miles had stock, 3 at one, 2 at the other. I'm going by tomorrow. I really want to check a $14 meter against a professional unit to see how it compares. We have calibrated SPL meters where I work that cost over $1500. I'll post my comparison results if I can find the $14 meter.