Subwoofer demo question...

Ok, i had to ask... did anyone get to audition the Klipsch subs versus the SVS tubes at the open house?

I know Trey mentioned they had bought a couple tubes, but I haven't seen any discussions about it on here so I'm wondering if there was some AB testing done?

Thanks...

Rob.

PS: I remember last year they demoed the new RW12 sub against some popular store subs so this would be similar

Damon asked that question this year in Indy.

Like formica points out, they did a lot of sub testing last year, bot inside and outside. Was very informative. There was no live testing of subs this year.

When Trey showed us the graphs. The SVS was solid and flat to 25Hz, then dropped off. the model number Trey had on the computer what wrong. There was a note that no ports were tuned, and all were open. Both Damon and I figured that they tested the 2531 which does roll off at 25 HZ.

Im not sure if Damon was around for this chat or not, but later I talked to Dion about the tests and he remembered the SVS had a lot of harmonic bass. Something like when they were running 50-60 HZ, there was a noticable resonance 20-30 HZ as well.

FYI - We all were very impressed with the New Ultra 2 subs. I just wish they were not coupled to there amps.

I wish Klipsch made a big old bass horn that would roll of under 20 HZ. I would be the first to order one since my room is huge and I have plenty of room for a monster horn like that.

JM

John is right, Trey did mention that some of the output came from 2nd order harmonics (I may be slightly misquoting) and therefore they did cheat a bit (or perhaps did not do their duedilligence in testing), but the bottom line I took from all the graphs and discussions is that SVS does (more or less) meet their claimed output levels.

We discussed how, price-wise, Klipsch has relationships with dealer networks making it hard to compete head to head on price since SVS sells direct.

I will be first in line for the Refrence Premiere series subwoofer with one 18" and one 12", complete with curved cabinetry and beautiful cherry finish.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 4:04:31 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I will be first in line
for the Refrence Premiere series subwoofer with one 18" and one 12", complete with curved cabinetry and beautiful cherry finish.

----------------

did they show that at the meeting? what are the specs? what was it like? any word on pricing

• Klipsch Employees

I wish we would have had time...With 60+ folks in the lab, time and space was hard to come by...

....True, the 2nd & 3rd harmonics are very loud on the SVS which = distortion

On the klipsch products, we work very hard to keep the harmonics to as low a level as we can.

..The test: find a cd with a 20Hz note that last for a bit of time. Trun on your sub, start the note playing.

Question: does your sub make a sound that you can hear? (not encluding the port noise or air moving, but "tones")

If you hear a "tone" from a 20Hz note, you are hearing the harmonics.

----------------

On 6/22/2004 8:00:04 PM damonrpayne wrote:

Jay, an 18" subwoofer is rumoured, but there will surely be a high performance sub to go along with the Reference Premier line shown at CEDIA. I would guess a high performance unit in the $2000-$2700 price range.

----------------

what is exactly the reference premier line at CEDIA??? any details?

----------------

On 6/22/2004 3:54:18 PM j-malotky wrote:

FYI - We all were very impressed with the New Ultra 2 subs. I just wish they were not coupled to there amps.

----------------

Perhaps I read incorrectly in another thread about the Ultra 2 THX sub... but do they actually use the "same" driver as the RSW12? I'm asking because of the reportedly noticeably better performance than the RSW15 which is no small task given the RSW15's cone has 50% more surface area.

I always assumed the RSW's PR had a much longer excursion than the same diameter driver in order to not limit the subs performance... but if this is true, it may not have been the case. It's also safe to assume that the integrated EQ circuit to allow it to stay pretty flat in such a small enclosure (along the lines of Linkwitz Transform?) would have also reduced the drivers maximum SPL.

Obviously a larger enclosure with an appropriately sized port would allow a lower tuning point and higher SPL. The matching amp is required as it probably contains a line level EQ circuit. OTOH, a speaker level circuit could have been integrated into the sub enclosure itself... and a standard Aragon amp used instead.

When's the 15" version coming to market? 3.gif

Really wish i was there

Rob

PS: My sub is somewhat designed on the same basic principals larger than average enclosure with a larger than average port simple but proven.

• Klipsch Employees

the THX U2 sub driver is a RSW-15 motor on a 12" frame and cone.

There are 2 of them in the system. Yes, the amp does have EQ and compression built in...that amp can produce 150Vac on the speaker outs...but we limit it to 66Vac.

Which gives us tons of headroom in the power supply.

The curves of that sub are flat due to its THX Ultra2 specks.

THX allows only (-0.5/+1.5 db) from their given curve.

THD is very low, 2nd & 3rd harmonics are very low...which = a very clean and quick sub.

It even has a handy carring handle...9.gif

----------------

On 6/23/2004 7:19:07 AM Trey Cannon wrote:

It even has a handy carring handle...
9.gif

----------------

I had noticed the rear "handle" which matches up with the front port... cute detail. The styling is also an interesting departure from the reference series. Offer it in a choice of veneers & non-edged birch plywood, and the heritage guys will call it their own... 2.gif

I don't understand the fuss about the obligatory amp... perhaps de the pricing should be all inclusive (ie: 1 sub with amp = $$ and 2 subs with amp = $$$)? After all, most subs have integrated amps, and moving it outside the cabinet just seems like a good marketing edge. Pricing is steep and not within everyone's reach, but it wouldn't be a flagship product if it was. Hopefully it'll produce enough market buzz to attract clients to the Klipsch brand.

Later..

Rob

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:21:54 PM Trey Cannon wrote:

The THX Ultra 2 system started shipping in March...They kinda went fast...2 weeks into production...We sold out...

----------------

Trey;

Interesting! I never even heard anyone mention this subwoofer, and I read this forum daily, often multiple times daily. 130 db at 30hz?? That's a full 9 db more output than the RSW-15 at 30hz or almost TWICE the bass! And a whopping 17 db more than my increasingly puny RW-12!

Now, the KW-120 has only 1 - 12" woofer. Is there something under development with TWO of these beefy woofers or did I misread your earlier post?

Also, what is suggested retail for this subwoofer and the matching amplifier? And when will they be available again?

Jim

Cleve, most people have been talking about the new THX system as a whole. Those of us who went to Indy though have been calling out the subwoofer specifically.

I think the price was something to the tune of $2,200 for the subwoofer and amp together and slightly over $3,000 for two subs and the amp? I could be wrong so don't quote me on that.

----------------

On 6/23/2004 12:21:54 PM Trey Cannon wrote:

The THX Ultra 2 system started shipping in March...They kinda went fast...2 weeks into production...We sold out...
----------------

Good work!

There must not be a better feeling than selling out of something, and not having to sell it on overstock.com for 80% off retail 9.gif