HK SS AMP observation

Since the Indy trip I had felt the need to try a HK product.

I have enough tuners so i did not really want a receiver.

i am not sure of the year but this one sounds a bit less fatigueing than my Denon Integrateds I have in the home.

MY Scott LK-48 is out for a new power transformer; in the que at NOSVALVES at this time.

It is very nice for its limitations.

Needs loudness button at low watts.

Soundstage somewhat smeared.

A good intereim amp.

post-3864-1381925617591_thumb.jpg

I have the HK505 integrated (built around 1980). It is 60 WPC and it really brings out the bass from my Cornwalls while maintaining high end detail. But I still like the sound of the HK430 and HK630 a little better. Those old receivers match up well with Klipsch Heritage.

By 'interim amp" I mean a back up to my Scott LK-48.

Location of the instruments is lacking in a large way compared to the Scott.

Guitars and cymblas are a bit unnaturally shrill.

Not bad for less than $ 100 off EBAY.

SEADOG;

Has brother AUDIODAD posted a review of the Scott in His system?

Flynn: I'm heading for Atlanta this weekend, and will be back next Weds night. When I get back, if you'd like, I can loan you my HK 730 and you can give that a spin with your Chorus. Frankly, I'd be interested in your feedback comparing the "twin power" HK to your Scott.

I'm running mine with a pair of RB-5's. I find no need to use the loudness contour at low volumes, and your Chorus, I'm thinking, have more bass output than the RB-5's.

Let me know if you'd like to give the HK a spin. I can let you have it until your Scott comes back from Craig.

I have the HK PM655 integrated amp from 1985. Solid build, good performer, I used it for several years way back when and have just "resurrected" it again. I am now using only the preamp section so that I can route my turntable and cassette into my HK AVR430.

Popbumper9.gif

AudioFlynn,

That Scott 299D NOSValves rebuild is at my house now! I came home after work one evening last week and it was sitting in a FedEx box on my doorstep. My brother Audiodad took it home from Indy and tried it out for about three minutes before deciding it didnt have enough power to satisfy his need to shake the walls. He said it didnt have enough headroom, so he is going to stay with the high-powered SS for his K-horns.

I am using the 299D with my 79 Cornwalls and I am very pleased. I usually listen at only about 90dB, and it has plenty of headroom from there. I really like the imaging and smoothness. Craig did a nice job on this amp (Oops, am I allowed to give unsolicited praise for a service provider on this forum? I hope it doesnt start a flame war). This is my first tube amp and I think I'm hooked. Ive been staying up much too late every night listening.

Ive been experimenting with the derived center channel using a vertical Cornwall (turned on the side on top of my HDTV). With the center speaker going, there seems to be a slight overall decrease in the bass, but since the center speaker is 5 feet off the floor, the highs and mids have excellent definition everywhere in the room (and in other rooms).

When I get more time to experiment, I will do some comparisons with my vintage SS HK430, HK630, and Scott 382-B.

David

Solid State amps. Here's what my friend has concluded:

You turn it on, crank it up, and it burns you out after awhile, so you turn it back down. Then eventually you turn it off. With my tube amp, I listen all day and I don't want to turn it off when I go to bed.

Of course these observations were made with mediocre mid and low level SS amplifiers, no Nelson Pass class A stuff or anything to that nature.....

I picked up a cheap-assed Realistic reciever last weekend for 5 bucks, works great.

But that thing really smears on the Cornwalls, instruments and vocals never seem to be in one spot, stereo effects are nill, and the HF has that nice tizzy broken glass sound. Even the bass is sloppy for a SS receiver.

But you can really crank it up!

Wasn't long before I was back to the 5 watt amp.

I bought a Mitsubishi integrated the weekend before and the same thing on the Cornwalls, though sound quality was a bit better.

I had pretty much a top of the line Yamaha MX-1 power amp with Chorus II's. Gobs of power, nice stereo effects and good instrument placement. But after a hour with the Yamaha and the Chorus II's, I'd burn out either turning it way down or off.

Rick,

Interesting. From what I can gather, some of the HKs are suppose to do better. Is the model you mentioned the amp version of an HK730 or something like that?

Leo

++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is not horrible; I am just getting picky isteneing to Scott vintage and VRD monoblocks.

It is clearly better than all 3 of my Denons for fatigue factor.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Mike,

Once you hear the instrument placment with a good amp; smearing is easier to notice.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Seadog,

i cannot belive that is not enough power for your brother. A heck of a rocker no doubt.

I am certain the listening to the 299 is addictive for you. When mine was first in the wife wondered when I was coming to bed.

The center channel experiments must be interesting. I have never heard that except for HT which does not count for me.

+++++++++++++++++++++

WHELL;

I will try to hook up with you.

----------------

On 6/25/2004 7:38:08 PM sheltie dave wrote:

I had a Nak TA2 last week in for a visit, and the HK630 beat it out, which surprised me...

----------------

That surprises me too! I briefly had a Nakamichi STASIS receiver (can't remember the model number), and I thought it was the nicest SS receiver I had heard.