Need help with older Advent speakers

I know this is a Klipsch forum, but maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

I went to a yard sale yesterday and was able to pick up a pair of vintage "The Advent Loudspeaker" (s) for five dollars. When I got the grill covers off, I found that some moron had tried to replace one of the 12" drivers with one of a smaller size. Check out the attached photo.

My goal is to restore these speakers and give them to my son who is in college.

Since I don't know very much about two-way speakers, I was hoping that some one in the forum might know where I might be able to get a pair of 12" replacement speakers. I sent an email to Layne Audio earlier today, but was wondering if there were any other sources of replacement speakers that I could contact.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dave in Nashville

post-7213-1381925618157_thumb.jpg

The original Large Advent had a 10" woofer cone in a 12" woofer basket, it used a 1" wide 1/8" thick piece of tempered Masonite for the adaptor ring.

If you can't find a good pair of original woofers (they will need to be re-foamed at a minimum), you can buy a pair of 10" and make adaptor rings.

John,

You're absolutely right. See the attached photo.....

I think Layne must be the only way to go at the moment, however when I tried calling the number on his website several times yesterday, all I got was a busy signal. Then, a few minutes ago I got a message from his email server saying his mail box was full. I guess he went to Panama City or Gulf Shores for some R&R. In the meantime, I'll check ebay.

Thanks for the good info.

Dave in Nashville

post-7213-138192561822_thumb.jpg

I've heard some forum members speak well of Layne audio, but the guy is a one guy shop and really busy.

On repeated attempts, I've never gotten the guy to return a phone call or e-mail and haven't been lucky enough to catch him in the shop.

Hope you have good luck and post on your results.

FYI, there were two versions of that Advent woofer; the famous masonite ringed one and a later, all metal basket that was used in the cabinets with the rounded, not beveled edges (like yours). Both your woofers aren't OEM.

I'd check out Ebay as they show up often. I'd go for the masonite one as they were what came in those cabs. I have a few around here, but I refoam them and sell the units whole.

True, it's not a Klipsch, but what it is is one damn fine speaker, reknown for its deep bass and neutral, easy to listen to sound. Keepers for sure

Always buy Large Advents, especially for $20 or less

I know a thing or two about those. They were my main staple for about a decade before going to Magnepans. I also just rebuilt four of them from the ground up. Sold one pair, and keeping the other. http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrmoni&1090941443&item

I have a handful of these drivers laying around, since they work in the DQ-10 as well. Though they are in very good shape, they are all in need of refoaming. The refoaming kits run about $30, and I would want $35 for each driver. If you want me to repair the drivers, I would want $30 to do the pair. Doing those is a PITA.

I haven't looked lately to see what Steve at Layne has for these, but it's not likely retain the same signature. However, since you are just trying to get these going, it might not be a bad way to go if the price is fair. If you were a Vintage freak, I would probably encourage you to go with my services instead.

Dean

Dean,

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it after I get some research done tomorrow (Monday). I've pretty much given up on Layne considering that his phone is probably off the hook and he doesn't return emails.

I'm not an audio purist, but your offer is a lot more attractive than the high priced replacement speakers I've found so far.

I checked out the link to the site you provided. I'm really impressed with the way you rebuilt those speakers from the inside out. As Captain Piccard would say, "Nicely done..."

Thanks again for writing,

Dave in Nashville (same town as Layne Audio)

Looks like the repairs may be fairly inexpensive Dave - I would go for it.

These are very nostalgia based for me - I heard my very first "WOW, that sounds really good" music on these speakers. It was probably Rush or Cream, but they started me on a journey.