SPLmeter and DVE disk

Thors1982

OK, so I bought the SPL meter today.... finally

I also got the Digital Video Essentials Disk to set it up.

But, I can't seem to figure out how to use the SPL meter. Can anyone help, I thought the disk was supposed to tell me how to use it. But, I can't seem to find the chapter. So if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Actually, I have watched most of the DVE disk. I definatelly learned a lot.

Mainly I just need to know how to use the SPL meter

Such as:

What range 120-60?

Weighting A or C?

Response Fast or Slow?

Can I use it for other tests such as the "Buzz & Rattle Test", "Frequency Sweep", "Bass Management Test", again what range for each of these

I assume for the main test I am supposed to put the SPL meter in the listening position and facing straight up while I do the "Band Limited Pink Noise for each speaker and get each to register the same on the SPL meter???

Sorry, I should have been more specific the first time on the help i needed hehe :-)

----------------

On 6/30/2004 7:39:32 PM Thors1982 wrote:

Actually, I have watched most of the DVE disk. I definatelly learned a lot.

Mainly I just need to know how to use the SPL meter

Such as:

What range 120-60?

Weighting A or C?

Response Fast or Slow?

Can I use it for other tests such as the "Buzz & Rattle Test", "Frequency Sweep", "Bass Management Test", again what range for each of these

I assume for the main test I am supposed to put the SPL meter in the listening position and facing straight up while I do the "Band Limited Pink Noise for each speaker and get each to register the same on the SPL meter???

Sorry, I should have been more specific the first time on the help i needed hehe :-)

----------------

I just calibrated mine. I set the spl to c weighting and slow then ran the dve disk's fullbandwidth pink noise and set the meter to 80 on the dial and shot for 75db starting with the left speaker followed by the center, rf,right surr.,surr. back and so on. Also its been advised to set your sub 2 to 4db hotter than your other speakers. 1.gif

• Like 1

Maybe the issue is how to use the knob on the RS instrument versus what the calibration program tells you.

Let's look at the RS instrument. I'm going to call it an instrument. The read out will be called the "meter". It has a pointer. My recall is that when the pointer is centered, it is at zero. (I have the digital version, and it is at another location. So this is from memory.) The pointer can go down left to -10 and up right to + 10. Maybe 20.

The knob sets the sensitivity of the instrument. If the knob is set to 80 dB and the sound program is loud enough to get the meter pointer to zero (at the center) then you are reading (measuring) 80 dB. If the meter pointer goes up to +10 dB, that is 90 dB. If the pointer is at -10 dB, then you are measuring 70 dB.

You see, it is just a matter of adding or subracting. If things go off scale of the pointer, you have to change the setting on the knob and do the math again.

I don't know what your calibration program says is the reference to adjust to. Probably, it is saying: use a button on the remote control of the HT amp to increase or decrease the output of a speaker so it is X.

If it instructs to set the level X to 80 dB, that is center on the meter, if the knob is set to 80dB . If the target is 75 dB, then that is -5 dB on the meter when the knob is set to 80. If it is 85 dB, then that is +5 on the meter, when the knob is set to 80 dB.

Just to go through the exercize. If the target reading level is 85 dB, that would also read as -5 dB when the knob is set to 90 dB. If the target reading level is 75 dB, that would also be +5 on the 70 dB knob setting.

The alignment program is sending out noise. Because of this, the meter reading is going to bounce around. You should set the meter to "slow" and "C". Still, there will be some bouncing around. You may have to eyeball the center of the bouncing.

Do remember to turn off the meter when you're done by setting the knob to "off" which is below the 60 dB setting.

Gil