Electro-Harmonix 6CA7 vs. EL34

lynnm

Lynn,

I run mine at the 40Ma recommended for EL-34s by Jolida. They can go up to 60Ma and 40WPC in an AB circuit with a plate voltage of 450VDC. According to EH they are overbuilt too. I think the limit would be the PS and output trannies.

"Push Pull Class AB1 AmplifierPlate Voltage ................................. 450 Volts

Grid No. 2 Voltage ...................... 450Volts

Grid No. 1 Voltage Derrived From Cathode Bias Resistor ....................... 232 Ohms

Plate Current (Zero Signal) ............. 120 Ma.

Grid No. 2 Current (Zero Signal) ......... 20 Ma.

Load Resistance ........................ 6500 Ohms

Power Output (approx) .................... 40 Watts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

Rick

My current Jolida JD202B running the Svetlana EL34's may get the boot shortly.

I've been offered a Jolida JD302B integrated amplifier chassis at a good price. The dealer has offered to fit Electro Harmonix EL34EH tubes to the rewired amp and backtrade my 202B. From what I've read and heard the Electro Harmonix EL34 is the best EL34 on the market.

The 302B has much better transformers and an Alps volume pot. I had doubts about retubing my 202B with the Svetlana's without a rewire and general upgrade. So while I improved the original 202B sound, without an amp upgrade, the Svetlana's were probably wasted.

For the same 202B upgrade price I get the JD302B with Electo Harmonix tubes - a no brainer!

Although from what I've read here I'll speak to the dealer about the 6CA7EH tubes. Maybe they're the way to go.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 2:49:01 AM edwinr wrote:

My current Jolida JD202B running the Svetlana EL34's may get the boot shortly.

I've been offered a Jolida JD302B integrated amplifier chassis at a good price. The dealer has offered to fit Electro Harmonix EL34EH tubes to the rewired amp and backtrade my 202B. From what I've read and heard the Electro Harmonix EL34 is the best EL34 on the market.

The 302B has much better transformers and an Alps volume pot. I had doubts about retubing my 202B with the Svetlana's without a rewire and general upgrade. So while I improved the original 202B sound, without an amp upgrade, the Svetlana's were probably wasted.

For the same 202B upgrade price I get the JD302B with Electo Harmonix tubes - a no brainer!

Although from what I've read here I'll speak to the dealer about the 6CA7EH tubes. Maybe they're the way to go.

----------------

Say, if you can fit "Fat Bottles" on that amp, which it looks like you can, I seriously recommend getting a quad of EH 6CA7's and slapping them on. I'm willing to bet you that they will sound better than any other EL34 you find.

JD302B.jpg

SVK6ca7EH.jpg

I read some rave reviews on teh JJ/Tesla EL34's too. My dealer swears by them and he told me that they are some of th emost reliable tubes made today. I currently have Mullard tubes and want to play without it costing me an arm and leg. I'm also interested in replacing the tubes with New Factory Fresh tubes to see what happens. I let my dealer talk me into a Jan-Phillips Military grade 12AT7. I've read mixed reviews on this tube. I think that I may have made a mistake with that one. The older Phillip tubes were excellent but these were made in the US and are not the Holland made phillips tubes. Has anyone used the Jan-Phillips 12AT7?

----------------

On 7/27/2004 8:05:52 AM trader wrote:

I read some rave reviews on teh JJ/Tesla EL34's too. My dealer swears by them and he told me that they are some of th emost reliable tubes made today. I currently have Mullard tubes and want to play without it costing me an arm and leg. I'm also interested in replacing the tubes with New Factory Fresh tubes to see what happens. I let my dealer talk me into a Jan-Phillips Military grade 12AT7. I've read mixed reviews on this tube. I think that I may have made a mistake with that one. The older Phillip tubes were excellent but these were made in the US and are not the Holland made phillips tubes. Has anyone used the Jan-Phillips 12AT7?

----------------

I have used the JJ/Tesla EL34's and like the sound,nice mids,strong bass,clean highs,quiet.They just don't seem to last very long.I have only about a year expierience with tubes so I'm not sure how long they should last.I have gone through 4 in a year.

Greg

Second report:

The more I listen to my system with 6CA7EH outputs the better the midrange sounds. The bass is tight and powerful ( as it was prior to this change of tubes). The soundstage is definitely wider and deeper. The stridency I mentioned in my previous post is a thing of the past.

I am well known here for disputing the notion of break in regarding speakers and speaker cables and my opinion has not changed regarding speakers and cables but I am beginning to suspect that break in really is a factor with output tubes.

These Electroharmonics 6CA7s are very nice indeed.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 7:30:50 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Edwin,

What do you mean by "rewired" in your post above?

Rick

PS: I tried to use the phrase "dingo lingo" in the above post in an unoffensive way but just couldn't.
1.gif

----------------

Rewire; I mean upgrade electrical components. Dingo Lingo? I like that! It's a good term to cover what I was trying to say.

Guess what? Very few of us actually talk like Paul Hogan. Russell Crowe and other other Aussie actors actually broaden their accents in movies and media to make them more 'appealing' to the overseas market!

6.gif

----------------

On 7/27/2004 7:06:48 AM chops wrote:

Say, if you can fit "Fat Bottles" on that amp, which it looks like you can, I seriously recommend getting a quad of EH 6CA7's and slapping them on. I'm willing to bet you that they will sound better than any other EL34 you find.

"<a
http://www.uptownaudio.com/jolida/JD302B.jpg" border="0">

"<a
http://www.wiwitubes.com/pic/tube/SVK6ca7EH.jpg" border="0">

----------------

Thanks Chops. I'm talking to the dealer now about it. He's running that idea past the technician. After I get this new amp up and running, then I will enjoy checking out some mono bloc or tube power amp kits that I can put together at my leisure. Bearing in mind I have to look at 220 volt kits, which rules out some U.S. stuff. So possibly Hi-Fi World (U.K.) stuff that will be easy for me to assemble. Don't know about SET or PP kits yet though. I think because of my room size I will need closer to 10 to 20 watts per channel - you can get 9 watt SET 300B kits, but this might not be enough power. Still thinking.

edwinr,

why do you rule out non-220 volt gear? All my amps run on 110 volt (Germany is 220v, too) and using step-down transformers seems to have a beneficial effect as those units filter out some of the junk in the power line.

BTW: My cryo Valve Art EL34 have seen more duty and I am really impressed by their performance!

Wolfram

In the immortal words of Inspector Clousseau

BEMP !

I have now lived with the Electro Harmonics 6CA7s for about a week and I can say that they sound better than the very nice sounding Sovtek EL34s that came as standard equipment. Given my hearing issues, ( hearing aids left and right with an 8Khz. cutoff ), I can only comment regarding the overall sonic character of these tubes in my amp but they have elevated my amp from damned good to exquisite. Overall the sound is richer than ever before... more realistic....( ie. closer to You are there )/more intimate.

If you have an EL34 amp which you wish to attempt to improve upon try these 6AC7EH tubes before doing anything else.

----------------

On 7/28/2004 5:07:12 AM dubai2000 wrote:

edwinr,

why do you rule out non-220 volt gear? All my amps run on 110 volt (Germany is 220v, too) and using step-down transformers seems to have a beneficial effect as those units filter out some of the junk in the power line.

BTW: My cryo Valve Art EL34 have seen more duty and I am really impressed by their performance!

Wolfram

----------------

Good point. I guess through ignorance. I never even thought of using a step up transformer!

14.gif Thanks for the idea!

They make the old Klipsch ad for Heresys "2/3 of a Klipschorn at 1/2 the price" a truism too. With the klipsch SW-15, the forerunner of thw RSW-15, seemlessly picking up the bottom octave and these 6CA7s in the Jolida maybe we are at about 3/4's or a little better of the sound.

I still highly recommend them to anyone who needs a new set of EL-34s.

Rick

I don't know that Mike. But, compared to the SED "Winged C" and Sovteks the EH 6CA7s smoke 'em in all areas Bass is warmer, mids sweeter and treble more detailed. It is obvious that Electro Harmonix did it's homework on this valve.

Remember that this is on the Heresys. I didn't leave the Jolida on the Klipschorns long last time as I am completely spoiled by the sound of the 2A3s in the Wright-Sound Mono 10s on the big guys.

Rick