Look What I Built While We Were Down

thebes

Acrlyic case cover for my Scott 299. Came out pretty good. Still have to "flame" it so the seams won't show, but I'm fairly pleased. Also elevated the

top a couple of inches over normal so the heat of the tubes won't melt it.

Looks better then the original steel case and will provide protection for dropped objects, dust etc.

Once it's completly finished I'll be posting some more pics and tips and tricks in the Updates and Modification's area so anybody wanting to do this will have some practical advice.

Also want to thank the folks over in that section (especially Michael) for their help so I could learn how to do this right.

post-14801-13819257018632_thumb.jpg

That is neat looking. Only thing I question is how does the cool air get in? I see where is is supposed to get out but how does it get in? Maybe drill a few holes around to sides and back down low? It would be really cool to be able to flame the drilled holes so they disappear. Then you could put a neon light on the shelf behind the amp and watch the case and the tubes glow.

Thanks Bill, but you should have seen how awefull my first effort was (check under my thread in Updates and Mods).

Wrench, I basically took the design from other amp/receivers cases I have and none of them are vented from the front, although some are vented from the sides.

As you can see by the attached the rear has been left open and that should draw in plenty of air. I drilled holes instead of vents because I didn't have a router but did have a drill press. I'm having the seams and holes "flamed" professionaly. The guy at the plastics shop told me if I used a hand held propane torch I could melt too much of the surface and because the flame doesn't burn as pure the finished product could end up with little flecks of soot in it.

post-14801-13819257019182_thumb.jpg

Very nice.

You know, I'm a bit of an asthetics freak -- would you be interested in building those to order for those who might be interested in "boxing" my crossovers? It would be a great way to keep out dust and dirt -- and keep things looking perty if you know what I mean.

Daddy, the "flaming" process basically realigns the atoms, structure,whatever so the cut edges turn clear again, thus you have a "seemless" appearance. For the do-it-yourselfer you use a hand held propane torch with the flame about 4 inches from the joint/edge and pass it rapidly (about 3/4 inches a second) down the seam. Chances are on the first pass not everything will clear up. You don't want to make repeated passes at once because it will overheat the acrylic, melt it and you'll also end up with air bubbles. Let it cool down after each pass until you get it where you want. Plastics shops have oxygen/propoane or some other type of gas and, of course, tons more practice at gettting it right.

Dean, I'd be interested in building a few for you but I'd probably need a lot more practice before gracing your excellent work with with my own efforts. Why don't you send me the dimensions for your own personal crossovers, and I'll build you a set gratis for you to look over. Also let me know if you want them vented and how many holes you'd think would be appropriate (can only do holes at this time-don't have a router).