CD changer shot craps - opinions please...

hwatkins

I tend to go between old and new - for a CD changer I plan on new (the old HK bit the dust on Sunday 4th celebration - daughter's boom box cme to rescue pool side) to replace. The gotta haves are:

1. A changer is required based on how we use this unit (this is the mixed use heresy based HT/Music). The reciever supplies feeds to other areas - porch, systems downstairs, etc.

2. Darn good 'regular' cd playback - very important as a two channel rig first of all.

3. Simple and easy to use - no ten step process with crib sheets for the rest of family.

4. Must be black faced.

5. Reliable.

6. I do not want to manage 400 CDs (much less 100) so a 5 or 6 CD changer is the desire.

Preferences:

1. Digital connectivity - Coax would be easiest since it matches my existing connection. Analog out is also required for handling some of my remote speaker set ups.

2. Ability to replace carosel or cartridge CDs while current selection is playing.

3. Higher bit rates and better brains.

Like to haves:

1. SACD would be a bonus. The reciever has six empty female RCAs waiting. DVD-A would be reasonably cool as well, but I start having some issues when I think that a replacement of the DVD unit would be the place to do this. I also think that a DVD replacement would be the time to get a universal playback unit.

2. Remote capability (this could well be in the needs area, but I can live without).

3. Two laser/two power sources - this is a simple attempt to say I want the quality up there to some degree. Mid high end may be the best description.

I need anyones thoughts on HDCD, SACD and DVDA. From what I have heard and seen folks seem to think the HDCD and SACD units do a very good job on regular CDs while DVDA units seem to make little difference. My current front runners are the DVD/SACD entry level unit from Sony - (685?) and the Denon DCM-380 HDCD unit.

Opinions (I know you folks can be a bit shy...)?

That was my first thought Craig, but I seem to have a problem finding models that match my requirement. Sony's website lists both a c555es and a c222es, but both seem to be out of production for some time. There are several mega CD juke boxes in the ES line, but that overkill is not in my plans.

Do you know if Sony has an ES model that would fit my specs? That is the reason for the Sony fallback to a DVD/SACD player.

----------------

On 7/6/2004 8:53:33 AM hwatkins wrote:

That was my first thought Craig, but I seem to have a problem finding models that match my requirement. Sony's website lists both a c555es and a c222es, but both seem to be out of production for some time. There are several mega CD juke boxes in the ES line, but that overkill is not in my plans.

Do you know if Sony has an ES model that would fit my specs? That is the reason for the Sony fallback to a DVD/SACD player.

----------------

I bought a c222es at Magnolia Audio Video in Santa Monica about 6 months ago. It was being discontinued but Sony does have a 5 year warranty (parts AND labor) on the es line. Crutchfield's website is offering a DVP-NC555ES player/changer for $599.99. I'm guessing this is the new version of the SCD-C222ES with added DVD playback (DVD video only, NOT DVD-A).

I like the sound of almost all the SACD's I've bought so much that if something new comes out in both SACD and vinyl, I'll get the SACD. It's about as close to vinyl as I've heard and without the hassle. Lastly, both Audiogon and eBay often have listings for 222's, 333's and 555's at good prices.

Good Luck,

Chris

I recently bought a Sony SCD 333 ES on ebay for $350. It is a factory refurb with new 5 year Sony warranty. Looks and plays as new, no issues. Pretty good deal. Guy Landau here on the forum had one for sale also, I think he sold it, but you might email him and ask. Sometimes deals don't go through for some reason or another.

I went along with the gang and got a SONY SCD-C222ES a few months ago. You can find "rebuilt/Remanned" models from authorized SONY dealers on ebay, or another route is to try HiFi Buys. I was able to get mine for under $300. The guys at hifi buys searched all their stores and found me one, had it shipped in and gave the usual 5 year warranty.

So, they can be found along with the 333, and 555 for good prices.

But...my 222 quit working and had to go back for a repair after about 2 months. They couldn't fix it, and sent me a new one. Same thing happened to GaryMDs 555. We both received new units (I believe Gary did), and got the 5 year warranty. So, they broke, but they were backed up. Nice to know.

The only other comments are that the one I have doesn't play DVDs, and both units I have had had a noisy drive mechanism if that matters. And, you can't listen to a CD while you change the others out.

When mine was in the shop they gave me a Denon SACD loaner unit. I can't remember the model but more user friendly for sure. The SONY clearly sounded better, but the SONY has weird usability. Not as intuitive as it could be. If it's playing and then you hit the skip disk button it won't play the next disk until you push the play button. Stuff like that.

But, it does sound noticeably better than the comperable Denon SACD player (to me).

For what it's all worth.

16.gif

Thanks so much to all your input. It was just the discourse that helped me make up my mind.

I decided that if SACD and DVD-A were valuable to me I would choose to listen to them in the same way as vinyl - one at a time. Therefore my venture into that realm will be (later) a universal single loading player with significant attention to discrete components.

I decide to go to the lower end and bought a Denon DCM380. I got through a mixed bag of reviews to find that it seems to be a decent choice for what I will expect from the unit. I visited with Charles at Sound Research Labs somewhere on the left coast. It wasn't the best deal, but I enjoyed the hour long conversation so much that I couldn't help but give him my money.

It may be of little interest considering the higher end stuff alot of folks use here, but I'll write a quick review after a month or so of listening.

Thanks again to all.