good match center for Khorn mains?

dave97

I have recently upgraded my mains from Forte 1's to Khorns; my Academy is not up to the task of keeping up with them for HT or 5.1 music.

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new Belle for a center, but before I pony up all that $$, has anyone tried a Cornwall, Heresy, Forte, etc. as a center with Khorns?

I figure a Belle will have similar timbre match as the Khorns, but I havent heard Heresys or Cornwalls.....

Best choices for me in order of preference would be 1) La Scala (Larger K-400 horn identical to Khorn), 2) Belle (Horn loaded, Very pretty and a narrower cabinet, 3) Cornwall (Preferably an older Corn with vertically placed horns so it can be placed on its side, unless you can use one standing up with your TV arrangement, then the horizontally placed horns may be better).

I am currently using a La Scala for a center between my Khorns and it is a seamless match, I recently improved it with one of DeanG's AA Crossover replacements loaded with the custom Jensen PIO caps. Since my La Scala is laying on its side and it compromises the dispersion pattern of the horn so I also use a KV-4 center that sits on top of my RPTV (angled down slightly) and this combo works great. They sound like a single speaker and I cannot differentiate them from my seated location.

I have 4 Cornwalls in the rear to pick up the slack and two Velodyne Servo 15's to reinforce the bass response crossed over at 60Hz.

Yeah definitely 1) La Scala, 2) Belle Klipsch, 3) Vertical Cornwall 4) Cornwall 5) Heresy. Of course all of these recommendations are moot if you can work in a third Klipschorn. The seamless integration performance decreases when you go below a Belle Klipsch, but all five will work nicely depending on what you can accommodate. Nothing replaces the fully horn loaded sound

Hi Dave

You may want to do some searches here. This topic comes up every few months with some nice suggestions.

I agree with Frozen, and prefer the K400 squawker as my first choise, in between Khorns.

It really depends on your room to determine what you can get away with. In my gigantic room the K700 and K600 horns definetely could not keep up in between the KH. I was at IndyKFans house last month and his K600 sounded great in between his Khorns.

For you who do not have room for a Big Heritage, you can run your squawker hoter to better match the K400 as well. Lots of posts here how to do that as well.

JM

I use an AK4 belle center, with my AK3 k-horns. The match is not perfect, but darned good. I don't know how much of the difference is due to different crossover and drivers, and how much is due to just the different placement, but I would still take a belle or la scala first, then a cornwall or heresy, in that order. The main reason I like the belle over the la scala, is purely asthetics - it matches up real purdy!9.gif

Thanks JM

I have done a whole bunch of reading about which center would be a good match for Khorns, and pretty much decided it would be a choice between Belle and LaSacla. I was just curious if anyone had experience with Heresys/Corns etc.

After further discussions and room measurements with my better half, I think we are going the Belle route, more for asthetics than perfect match for sound (since Klipsch doesnt make an oak LaScala), she doesn't want to see a birch LaScala between our new oak Khorns.....she is kinda picky that way, thank goodness!

Thanks everyone for your input, all of it has been very useful and informative!

Dave

iwillwalk,

What are you using for mains? Heresies will be a much better match for heritage than reference units will. You can use an RC 7 its a fine speaker but there will be a noticeable timbre mismatch. However there are times you have to make a compromise I know this situation well. I am currently using a reference between my La Scalas. It cant keep up, but the sound is not bad, although its much thinner sounding IMO. I am in the process of building a split La Scala center.

If space is a real issue, why not a pair of Heresy's? I think you need to wire them in series? which means the combined speaker impedance as seen by the centre channel amplifier is doubled. I can't remember which way it works. Perhaps a more informed forum member can clarify. I have read on this forum that at least one other forum member uses two Heresy's as centre channel speakers combined with Klipschorn mains.

Iwillwalk - right now, I have the fortes set up as surrounds and they sound pretty good; I am planning on trying one as a center soon. I have a CRT television and when I get the forte too close to the TV, the magnets in the forte mess up the picture.

If the forte sounds good as a center, it would OF COURSE mean that I would have to upgrade my TV as well, probably a plasma based on the WAF standard....LOL

....and to think, all this upgrading started with a new 5.1 capable receiver and DVD/SACD player...somehow I don't think its ever gonna stop!