RF-5 or Klipsch Forte'

Hey guys. Im new here 5.gif . Im about to buy some Klipsch speakers. My price limit would be the RF-5's. Ill be driving whatever speakers I get with a Jolida 302B tube amp. So which should I get???????? I heard the forte' sound awsome and I can easily afford them. Not sure what to buy guys. 8.gif . Orrrrrrrrrrr should I get another vintage/classic model? which?

PS- Yeah you read my age right, im 14 3.gif

Whats the deal with the Forte' II?? How come you never see any for auction. And is the Quintet better than the Forte? Is the Cornwall or the Heresy II better than Forte'?????

I could get a La Scala but my room is small (12' x 11') and theyre HUGE.

EDIT:

OK here are my choices:

-Quintet

-Forte

-Heresy II

For the price you WILL NOT go wrong with the Forte, AWESOME sound. Raise them up so that the squaker is at ear level when listening and you will open up the soundstage greatly. This will not cut back on the bass either, mine are up about 15 inches and about 10 inches from the wall, square to the wall. I am in sonic heaven when they play. I had the parrents over last weekend for the first time since I got the new setup, all my mom could say is that it sounded great and she wanted a sound like that at her home!

Either Heresy or Forte will be fine if those are your only choices. Though if you want more bass, Forte is the RIGHT choice.

IMO, the Cornwall is the finest of the 2-way horns. However, you simply can't go wrong if you start out with any of the Heritage series.

I would go along with Doug's advice. Quartets are excellent speakers, and are the Forte II/Chorus II's little brother. All three of these have the Tractrix mid-range horn, where the Forte/Chorus have exponential horn. Some swear by the -I sound, others like the -II sound. It's pretty much a toss-up to me, and I have the Forte II and Chorus II in my home theater.

Also as Doug said, if you are only getting one pair, go with the Forte I/II, as they have great bass, and adding a sub will be even better. Quartets are nice, but not up to Forte. There is a nice pair of oiled oak Quartets on eBay right now. I haven't done any first-hand comparisons between Forte and Heresy, but I'd lean towards Forte, unless size is a problem. Heresy and sub would sound pretty good.

I'll let others comment on the comparison between the Reference series and Heritage (either Heresy or Forte).

It is tough to give advice by saying "buy X" and you're getting the best deal. I'll try it though. It mimics what I'm working toward.

The last of what I call the neo-Heritage is the family of Chorus II, Forte II and Quartet (no number on the Q, there is no I or II.) Very good units and perhaps a bit underpriced in the bang for the buck mentality. The Heresy and Cornwall get more appreciation as classics. Yet I believe these are, arguably, superior.

All of these have the "Tractrix" midrange. The Chorus is the biggest, and the size and price goes down accordingly. I belive the midrange Tractrix is so superior to the exponential used in the Chorus I and Forte I to make it a decision point. Real magic. All of them use a big passive back radiator "drone". Very good for bass.

If you want one piece of advice: Buy a pair of Quartets as the core of your system. They are the cheapest and a lot of bang for the buck.

If / when you start getting into multichannel, Quartets are comparable in price to many so called surround speakers. They might well do a better job than some of them. I see a trend to four or five full range speakers rather than special "surround."

This theory fits well if you're getting a sub in the near future. The sub will take over the bottom end. Hence there is no need to buy the Forte or Chorus for bass. And in the mean time, the Quartets will keep you happy.

= = =

For reasons I don't comprehend, oak finish seems to appear on e-bay more than anything else. If you can live with that, go for it. I hold out for walnut. I've got two pair of walnut and would like the same. We will not be bidding against each other. Smile.

= = =

I will point out that I have a pair of Forte II at the office. There is no room for a sub or multichannel. If anyone is in that situation, these are, IMHO, the ultimate.

= = =

When making a purchase, do look toward the future of your system, and consider shipping and packing costs, and "risk". Most Klipsch speakers can be resold for about the same price you bought them. But packing and shipping can eat up 20% or more.

So a local pick up and the ability to test before buying can make one speaker or the other a good deal or not a good deal.

For example, I bought a pair of Quartets off eBay. They arrived with some minor damage and the tweeters were fried. I can live with the damage and was able to replace the diaphragms on the tweeters.

I just point these factors out to say that you might have a $500 budget. A local purchase of distressed but functional units could be better than eBay.

This is to say that you probably have to budget at least $100 for uncertainty in buying anything. Like the song says, you have to know when to walk away, or when to run.

Best,

Gil

The whole family which I described has essentially the same mids and treble. They are adjusted in level to agree with the bass.

For the most part, you're just looking at difference bass response. Which was my point.

The traditional Heresy and Cornwall use other drivers and horns. They are certainly different. Different and better are not the same. Smile.

Gil

I would go with the RF-5. It sounds great and really unbelievable

that all that sound is coming out of it's size! I was really

amazed when I heard it, it's what made me not want my Forte anymore.

It's newer technology and to me, the sound is even better.

Sounds so live. It made me end up buying a pair of RF-5 and a

pair of RF-7 for my system. WOW, all four together sound really GREAT!

Feels like you are really there live, even just with the RF-5.

I'm really happy with mine. I really like the copper color on the

cones too. Bass seems more real and tighter on the RF line than the Forte.

Hope this helps! :)

I'm assuming that you have a source for purchasing a set of Fortes? If so, I would purchase them and listen to them for a while. Once you've logged some time with them, I would audition the RF series. If you prefer the RFs, you could easily get your money back on any Heritage speakers you've found for a reasonable price. If money is no issue and you have the space, get them both. Listen to them each for a couple weeks at a time and then report back on your findings. You could always find another room to spoil yourself in 2.gif

All I can say is I have a set of Forte speakers with my 2 channel and a pair of Heresy II speakers with my HT system and they both sound great. As for me, the HT system doesn't get used for much music, I have a hard time giving an answer to the issue of which sounds better. They both sound great but the Heresy does lack deep bass and the sub makes up for that. As to which mid horn sounds better, I like them both. The Forte speakers are setup in a small room and I love the sound they make. The Heresy speakers are setup in a much larger space and they also sound great. I can't comment on any of the other lines of speakers Klipsch makes as I do not have them setup in my home.

You will not go wrong with hereatage speakers, the resale value is great. A pair of new speakers also is nice to have esp. if space is limited and you need to make adjustments for that however, the resale will take a hit as will anything you buy new and sell used.

I guess the short answer is..... we can't answer what will work best for you, you need to listen and decide for your self.2.gif