Saddest movie lines you've ever heard...

Rdmarsiii

Hey all, I figured this would be intresting, posting the saddest lines in a movie. I mean the kind that just made oyu feel depressed or on the verge of tears. I'll start off.

From Pearl Harbor--

Evelyn, loving you kept me alive. I should've died over there. When I was in that water, I made a deal with God. I told him I was sorry. I told him that I knew I'd been a fool for leaving you trying to go over there and be a hero and I promised I'd never ask for anything again if I could just see you one more time. And you know what? It was worth it. You kept me alive, Evelyn. You brought me home. So I'm gonna stand by my end of the deal. I'm gonna walk away. And I wont ask you for anything. But I just wanna know why. Just tell me that, will you, please? Just tell me why.

And what Evelyn said--

Rafe, Im pregnant

I didn't even know until the day you turned up alive. And then all this happened. I haven't told Danny. I don't want him to know. All he needs to think is how to do this mission and get back alive. Rafe, all I ever wanted was for us to have a home, grow old together but life never asked me what I wanted. Now, I'm going to give Danny my whole heart but I don't ever think I'll ever look at another sunset without thinking of you. I'll love you my whole life. (she turns and walks away)

At the end of American Beauty where Kevin Spacy is like:

"... and I can't help but be thankful for every miserable day of my life. .."

That was pretty sad.

Its not a line, but the saddest thing I've seen in a movie is from Black Hawk Down. A soldier is sitting in some building in Africa, out of bullets, with a huge crowd of angry millitants running towards his location. The look in his eyes shows he realizes he's about to die. He pulls out a picture of his wife and child hoping they'll be the last thing he ever sees. The mob enters his room and someone bashes him in the head with the butt of a rifle. He drops the picture as they pick him up but in his subconcious near death state he gropes madly for the picture of his family just for that small comfort before he's killed.

I saw that before I had my daughter and knew what it was like to have my own family; it hit me hard then. I don't know if I could watch that scene now.

The sadest thing I have ever saw was the little girl in Schindlers List. She is the one in the little red coat in a sea of black and white images. You know she is walking off to die and it wrenches my heart everytime I see it. That has got to be one of the sadest movies I have ever saw. Now for the sadest line? Maybe when Schindler says " I could of sold my jewerly and saved 3 more, maybe the car,6 more, I could of done more!

----------------

On 7/13/2004 12:57:29 PM PKuziel wrote:

The sadest thing I have ever saw was the little girl in Schindlers List. She is the one in the little red coat in a sea of black and white images. You know she is walking off to die and it wrenches my heart everytime I see it. That has got to be one of the sadest movies I have ever saw. Now for the sadest line? Maybe when Schindler says " I could of sold my jewerly and saved 3 more, maybe the car,6 more, I could of done more!

----------------

Agreed.

• Moderators

I'd have to agree that Schindler's List is about as emotional of a movie as they come. Ranks up there for me as far as intensity with Monster's Ball, Requiem for a Dream, American History X, Philadelphia, among others...

One of my favorite movies where one particular scene stands out, however, is in Dogfight--the very last scene before the credits roll...no words, just a build up of emotion. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has seen this little film... One of River Phoenix's finest, IMO, and close to last.

We Were Soldiers....

When the 2 wives walk around handing out the Western Union telegraphs to the Wives of soldiers who died.....then the pregnant one gets her telegram her husband died.....8.gif

All this on a night without kids.. A baby-sitter... a $4 dollar coke and a $4.25 popcorn in your hand with your wife's head on your shoulder after a good light dinner "out on the town." And something you planned for a whole week... (As just min. before you said, Ah, remember when we used to do this without kids all the time?)

And the saddest line ever at the movie theater?:

"Ladies and gentlemen. We are sorry but the projector is broken. The movie has started on screen 8 if you care to see it there, if not, we apologize and will give you a free pass or refund your ticket if you care to come back another time."