Now Heresy Original - Scott & Other Tube AMP Question?

JjR

Well back again,

At this point I have been thinking why not try a tube unit for the bed room.

I have been looking at the:

Scott LK72

Scott LK72B

Scott 222D

Scott 233

And also some non-Scott units

Bogen RP-230

Sherwood S8000

From what I read on the web the Bogen does have a small transformer in it.

The others I really do not know nothing about.

If one needs to refurbish a unit are we talking tons of money?

Weren't you looking to keep things under $300? You'd be very lucky to get any of those for that kind of bread, and have it working properly. The tubes in my 299C (which is for sale 2.gif ) are worth more than $300.

One of the finest sounding amps I ever heard was a David Bogen stereo tube head. All metal gold painted chassis.

35 watts per channel.

It was fabulous. It then fried a transformer and being young and stupid, I unceremoniously disposed it (to my eternal shame).

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/14/2004 3:40:03 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Weren't you looking to keep things under $300? You'd be very lucky to get any of those for that kind of bread, and have it working properly. The tubes in my 299C (which is for sale
2.gif
) are worth more than $300.

----------------

Yes I was afraid of that,what would a working one run?

JjR, I'm about to leave work (and my computer), but if you're interested in my 299C, just do a search under my user name in 2-ch. I started a thread about a month ago regarding its sale. I have been too busy to list it on ebay, so it is still available. Email or PM me if you want more info, and I'll get in touch tommorrow.

John, you could do better by getting your Dynaco MkIIIs rebuilt, and buying a tube preamp. Neo seems to know some places in California to rebuild you stuff to a decent level for cheap, like VTV..harhar

The Dynacos in good fighting trim will drive your Heresys quite well.1.gif

JJ,

You can see the Scott amps and Heritage speakers I have. If you are interested in a top performing tube integrated, you are definitely on the right track with your selections.

I think the LK-72 is a great partner for the heresy (and also the LaScala) primarily because of the bass output. Nice power too. I would also consider the EL-84 amps (222 and 299, cheaper tubes).

I also highly recommend NOS Valves (Craig) for the rebuild. You should just accept the fact that any of these 40 year old amps need it. Everyone on this forum had their vntage integrateds rebuilt one way or another. My 222 and 299 were rebuilt over a year ago and it is like a night and day difference. IN fact my LK-72 is on the way home from a NOS Valves rebuild right now.

NOS Valves has a great reputation for rebuilding these vintage amps, backing up the work, and especially for modifications that enhance sound with Klipsch speakers.

Go for it.