Klipsch Kg-5.5 Buy?

Magnitosh

I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of these in light oak for $295.00. I'd say the condition is 10/10 except for a bottom dinged corner. I owned a pair of these back in the late 90's and was happy with them. I now own a pair of Forte II's and some Magnepan MgIII's, but one can never have too many speakers. Is 295.00 a good deal?

Bill, The KG5.5 started my whole metamorphosis with Klipsch. A buddy of mine has the 5.5 which I only gave up because I purchased the KLF30's from Sound Advice on Tyrone. I sold the 30's to someone off this board when I found my '87 Cornwall II's up in Clearwater, and have never given up the Cornwalls. I did have a set of LaScala's that I had to refinish and would not have sold except I was running out of house when I purchased my pair of KHorns. I write this as not only a reply to Bill, but a warning to Magnitosh. KG5.5 are known wallett ($$$$$$) parasites! Good luck.1.gif

I forgot to add for Bill: 2 pair KLF30's on e-bay in Tampa. Both have an $1100 BIN with a start bid of $900.

The KG5.5's were my very first Klipsch loudspeaker way back in the early 90's. I owned a pair of Missions back then but they didn't have the drive I was looking for.

I took my speakers into a local hi-fi store. He demo'd a number of British floorstanders as an upgrade. Nothing appealed - they were flat sounding and anemic. Then he took me into the back storeroom where he had set up a pair of 5.5's with a NAD 3020. Did they boogie!

I bought a pair with the 3020 and I have never looked back. I've moved on since then to other Klipsch products, but buy the 5.5's, you won't be disappointed.

My 4.2's are still slamming with a low powered s.s. receiver after these past 12 years. That does sound like the approximate going price. I am looking forward to changing to a higher powered s.s or a modest tube amp someday. .......so many choices!

Pat.........1.gif

Chops, Was this guy you bought them from in the Brandon area? I almost bought a set from someone there but he was asking too much for the condition they were in. I think he said he wanted to keep them but his wife said sell either the Maggies or the Klipsch. I think he made the wrong choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Magnitosh,

Hopefully, I'm not too late with this...I would definitely pick up the 5.5s! I bought mine new in '94, and they still blow away everything my buddies have. If they've been cared for, you should be very happy. The 5.5s are suited to loud music with a lot of base, but I think they do a great job with Diana Krall and Norah Jones as well. The are rather large, however, and take up most of my small living room!

If you have a hard floor surface (I have Italian tile), I would recommend a rug or carpeting under them, or at least make sure you use the plastic feet.

Actually, I was wondering how much the 5.5s are going for these days, you know, just in case I decide to upgrade.

1.gif

• 2 years later...