Good gear worth it in UGLY room?

kenratboy

Is it worth it to have a nice system (2-channel or home theater) in a UGLY room, NOT a poor (acoustics) room?

One thing I like about going to the movies is the fact it is dark, the door bell doesn't ring (unless it is in the film), the phone doesn't ring, etc like it does for me.

Do you think to really get a good experience, you need to isolate yourself in a dedicated (or at least controlled) room to have bliss? Comforatable seating, no distractions, light and temperature control (watching LOTR in a 80 degree room with a 12" desk fan doesn't do it for me 3.gif )

What do you think? I personally would just want a simple room (no velvet curtains or hidden gear) with those really expensive home theater relicliners, absolute light control, and good HVAC. A wet bar with fridge is also needed for refrestments. A close by bathroom (still dark getting there) is also a plus!

How about you? What is your audio paradise?

Hey Ken. I too agree that for the optimum experience, you have to isolate yourself from the outside world and just melt away into your audio/video haven. Problem is, most of us can't afford to have a dedicated such room. Also, maybe it's just me, but I've always been one of those people who can't really walk down the street listening to my walkman...simply cause I hate being totally cut off from the world. I don't like the thought of being oblivious to the outside world should something important or terrible or hilarious happen. So along those lines, I'd probably want a phone or something nearby, even if I could afford a dedicated pleasure nest.

Anyway, here's a bunch of pics PAKO put together in a mural for me, and it shows my whole apartment, basically. It kind of lists everything you said is what you wanted in your basic home theater room, minus the super expensive recliners. But the wet bar, bathroom, equipment-in-sight, it's all there...

post-12484-13819257129412_thumb.jpg

nicholtl:

Wow, that is a hell of a place! I see those nice Halo's in the cabinets!

I too am the sort of person that does not like to be 'cut off' - thats why I always hit FoxNews and CNN when I have a chance. I want to know whats happening. I SAW 9/11 happen because I turn on the news in the morning. I turned on as soon as they went to a 'news alert' that something was wrong at the World Trade Center, and, well, here we are today, and I saw the second plane hit the building LIVE.

Anyway, I figure I can take two hours out of my life now and then to escape, but I would never go more than a half-day without news, as I want to know whats going on.

My idea of 2 Channel nirvana is my shoes off, my feet up with a glass of wine while sitting in Nicoltl's pad with the theme song from "Shaft" playing through that awesome looking setup.

Can you dig it?

Just re-read the first sentence but don't want to change it. No double-entendre meant. Just mean it's the type of pad Shaft would thrown down in even if it doesn't haven't any shag rugs.