Why do some amps go up for sale frequently

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I put the Jolida 302B in with the Blueberry and the Khorns. It sounded terrible compared to what I am used to. It actually sounds better on the Heresys.

With her help I quickly put the Wrights with the NOS Sylvania 2A3 black plates back on line. Nothing like 5-10 good clean watts with a little headroom. SWEET!3.gif

A number of the reviews mention that the Jolida 302B seemed to sound better with smaller speakers, micro monitor or monitor side and sounded less than impressive with large floor standing speakers. They need the right match in speakers and your Khorns are obviously not the right mix. This may help explain things. Also remember that your Wrights are worth almost twice what the Jolida's are and the Wright products have a very good reputation for value and efficient use of parts.

Your Wrights are running with NOS tubes, is the same true for the Jolida? The quality of the tubes may determine some of the difference, but the transformer and caps may also be a factor.

----------------

On 7/22/2004 6:24:51 PM paulparrot wrote:

Oh come on. Your claims here are absurd.

What kind of whim would be satisfied by playing something through an underpowered and distortion-laden amp? Masochism?

No, "wrong and morally reprehensible" do not enter into it; that's just your faulty interpretation. Using a low-powered amp is a bad choice, that's all.

----------------

So your saying that the thousands of people that prefer Set to PP or SS are Deaf and Dumb! If they were not; They would hear that obvious distortion and would not have been so dumb to spend thousands of dollars on a Set. If Sets are such a bad choice and produce such terrible quality sound then why do hundreds of companies produce Set amps? Why are they snatched up as quickly and some more quickly than PP or SS on Audiogon?

"So your saying that the thousands of people that prefer Set to PP or SS are Deaf and Dumb! If they were not; They would hear that obvious distortion and would not have been so dumb to spend thousands of dollars on a Set. If Sets are such a bad choice and produce such terrible quality sound then why do hundreds of companies produce Set amps? Why are they snatched up as quickly and some more quickly than PP or SS on Audiogon?"

You're wasting your breath, John. Paul is both psychotic and delusional! He does not know how to reason within reason.

----------------

On 7/28/2004 10:00:59 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

$20,000 bmw`s ?

++++++++++++++

Motorcycle, car or something else?

Model number?

----------------

Must be something else if its running a Big Block. Who knew Krell made engines anyway?

Harleys sound better anyway - with no amplification at all!

Everybody has an opinion - if he / she likes a certain thing, does that make it wrong? I personally think harleys sound terribly flatulent, but that's me. I also see people that like to hang expensive tupperware, overgrown cheeze slicers, and 5" tailpipes on their 90 hp civics. To each their own, but that does not change facts.

My "loud" is not your loud, my room is not your room, and your music is not my music. I think that we can all agree that:

*amplifiers driven past their design limits will distort ( regardless of topology )

*various sources have differing dynamic range ( ie: vinyl vs. cassette vs. cd vs. dvd )

*various music has differing amounts of dynamic range ( ie: highly compressed rock vs. jazz vs. country )

*a device used as a preamp must be able to deilver enough voltage to the input stage of the amplifier for proper output and optimal s/n ratio

If I had deeper pockets and a large house, I would possibly own different speakers, possibly Rf7's or klipschorns and belle, driven by Crown Microtech amps.

"I personally think harleys sound terribly flatulent, but that's me."

Typical!!!

Always someone around to PP on your parade!

Well the Harley sound all depends on the SET up. They've got the most important things - Quality Iron, good Pick up, stable stand and weight behind them. OK - they dont handle transients all that well - and they are not as fast as some of the Japanese Super Sports (SS) units but you cant have everything!

There's just no pleasing some people. 9.gif

----------------

On 7/29/2004 3:22:13 AM michael hurd wrote:

*amplifiers driven past their design limits will distort ( regardless of topology )

----------------

At what volume will a 1.8W amp clip? At what volume will a 20W amp clip?

----------------

On 7/29/2004 7:08:29 AM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 7/29/2004 3:22:13 AM michael hurd wrote:

----------------

At what volume will a 1.8W amp clip? At what volume will a 20W amp clip?

----------------

For someone who sits 3 meters or less away from their speakers and listens at levels upto around 85 dB with peaks or around 100 far enough away not to worry anyone.

OK - maybe the odd transient on the 1.8 watter will clip - softly. how many such transients are there in a typical recording, one or two per side? Hardly a reason to reject the whole for a total of maybe a 1/3rd of a second of not unpleasant clipping.

Now if you had compared to a 70 wpc ultralinear amp....like mine....

Michael make to very good points.

*various music has differing amounts of dynamic range ( ie: highly compressed rock vs. jazz vs. country )

++Rock of todays top 40 is just so compressed it is like it is mixed and mastered for MP3s and car stereo

*a device used as a preamp must be able to deilver enough voltage to the input stage of the amplifier for proper output and optimal s/n ratio

++ocassionaly preamps are the root of all evil. I heard one in the past year that ws very nice at less than 40 % maximum gain and lost a significant amount of realism after that.

----------------

On 7/28/2004 8:14:18 PM neo33 wrote:

You're wasting your breath, John. Paul is both psychotic and delusional! He does not know how to reason within reason.

----------------

Hehe, I know.

I don't have enough experience with any type of amp's to have such a hardened opinion! I will try a PP and SS down the road and make up my mind as to what I like. But I find it quite humorious that certain people can be so narrow minded.

the last couple weekends my neighbors behind me have been having a pool party till the wee hours in the am. I got tired of listening to their music (salsa? spanish) anyway I finally got pissed and played Moody Blues live at Red Rock on my cornwalls with a pair of SE84B Decware Zen amps wired in series. I had my doors and windows closed and had turned up the sound almost to max and ended up having the neighbors behind me come to my door and ask me to turn it down..9.gif After chating with the guy for a bit he was quite suprised at how good the music sounded at that level from his porch. I guess 2.5 watts is more than enough for me right now.

Still waiting for his reply

• Moderators

----------------

On 7/28/2004 8:14:18 PM neo33 wrote:

----------------

Neo,

Your comments are out of line. Take it to a private forum or private messaging.

"At what volume will a 1.8W amp clip? At what volume will a 20W amp clip?"

Playing Diana Krall's Love Scenes at 85dB from 3 feet on your KHorns will never clip the 1.8W amp. Playing Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture at 115dB from 9 feet on your Cornwalls will clip the 20W amp like hell!

" 2) What are some important things to look for when buying a _______?

First and foremost, you, the customer must enjoy the ________. It doesn't matter if the "numbers" or "specs" say it's perfect...if you don't like the way it sounds...what good is it? "

The above quote is from a well known and, from what I have read on this site, well respected manufacturer of a piece of equipment. I think you could substitute amp, preamp, source, speaker or what have you in the space I left blank, and the question is still valid. You like it, I don't. I like it, you don't. So what?