Why do some amps go up for sale frequently

All these Wrights, Moondogs and so forth go up for sale so often.

When people dump them, what do they buy?

I know allot of Dynaco PAS preamps go up for sale quite often BUT

1. Many were made over many years

2. Phono section is lifeless

What are the reasons some of these are sold off at an obvious loss of serious cash?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots of people buy the cat's meow as a first amp without realizing that it has constraints. The Moondogs(for an example) are wonderful amps, but man, you gotta know your limits. Most people do not do active listening; they will throw something on and start up a project, or be wandering in and out of the main listening area. Some of the lower powered amps require an active and captive listener.

Please note, I said it is the listener's habits and the way he listens - not the amps.

It is a lot easier to change amps than your listening habits.

Outside of a narrow range of audiophiles who have well developed listening habits and musical tastes, I don't think low powered amps are a good recommendation for the first couple of amp samplings for a sole system when purchasing.

----------------

On 7/19/2004 9:13:04 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Lots of people buy the cat's meow as a first amp without realizing that it has constraints. The Moondogs(for an example) are wonderful amps, but man, you gotta know your limits. Most people do not do active listening; they will throw something on and start up a project, or be wandering in and out of the main listening area. Some of the lower powered amps require an active and captive listener.

Please note, I said it is the listener's habits and the way he listens - not the amps.

It is a lot easier to change amps than your listening habits.

Outside of a narrow range of audiophiles who have well developed listening habits and musical tastes, I don't think low powered amps are a good recommendation for the first couple of amp samplings for a sole system when purchasing.

----------------

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Klipsch out.

I don't know, you have to start somewhere when you're shopping. Some people might buy a nice SET amp and settle right in with it -- you just never know. Fact is, many are completely satisfied with them and enjoy them immensely.

I wish I had the money, because I'm just itching to try that ASL SET 50 watter in the Audio Advisor catalog right now.

I beg of you all-please do not start another SET/PP/Highpower/lowpower/magic/etc/etc thread!!!!!! Please see everything that has been said/discussed/argued/written/wined about/etc/ in the previous post. DO NOT LET THIS INFANTILE BABLE DEVELOP AND CONTINE. (Sorry for yelling) pretty please.

Josh

----------------

On 7/19/2004 9:02:09 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

I know allot of Dynaco PAS preamps go up for sale quite often BUT

1. Many were made over many years

2. Phono section is lifeless

What are the reasons some of these are sold off at an obvious loss of serious cash?

----------------

How often, and how many pairs of Moondogs have you seen "for sale" over the past 12 months? How many Wrights? How many "so forths"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 7/19/2004 9:46:22 PM John Albright wrote:

Aw, Josh! Think of the spectacle, the entertainment!

----------------

What was I thinking John. I must have a glass of wine too many. You are absolutely right it is entertaining. Mutch like watching the same movie for the 10 millionth time 1.gif1.gif1.gif

+++++++++++++++++++++

Question still unanswered.

Maybe they go from a Moondog to an Onkyo HT receiver (or HT separates) or something like a Krell SS beast.

I give away amps to my kids; but never sell any.

If an audiophile sells off an amp in less than a year there implies some sort of dissatisfaction; IMHO.

Still wondering.

It's hard telling Rick. Some might move up to some very expensive SET amps, or go in a different direction all together.

It's true that the Wright's and Moondogs don't come up very often -- maybe four times a year. I know -- I'm an Audiogon addict.

Flynn,

I was not directing my comments to you or anyone in particular. I was just cautioning folks not to take this in a familiar direction.

You are right. Its interesting to see what comes up for sale. I am also with you that my best stuff will never be sold. (Never say never but this a bit of hyperbole )I anticipate owning my MAC gear forever. On the other hand, I have sold a fair amount of Cary equipment. For some reason, owning great (I didnt say best even though thats what I think) sounding equipment that I lusted after as a kid is an emotional deal.

Josh

well to answer the question:

those amps just don't meet most listeners' every demand.

Audio is a system of many compromises, which means there cannot be any perfect situations. And since perfection is impossible, there is then no solid means to rate any one design...which means it's all about the tastes of the listener.

Now if you want to look at trends of all the listeners out there, then you might come to some valid conclusions as what designs might be generally better than others...so perhaps Audio Flynn is onto something. But then again, it's just general trends and there's plenty of exceptions to the rules.

As far as what they purchase when they sell them? I'm guessing something non-audio...like maybe car repairs or gifts for the grand children, i dunno...hearing aids? 2.gif

wish I had the money, because I'm just itching to try that ASL SET 50 watter in the Audio Advisor catalog right now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dean,

At least an Audio Advisor purchase can be sent back in 30 days if dissatisfied.

I know of few others that offer that service.

??????? Come on Edmund, I'm not being overt or baiting here. I have heard Moondogs on multiple occasions now, and they are SET amps that come up frequently, along with the current Audiogon Wrights. I'm not baiting or trolling.

The first tube amp I bought was a Scott tube amp. Along with the HK 430, this is the lowest powered amp I have ever owned. Listening habits are listening habits. I paint the house listening to the stereo, mow the yard, do the dishes and the laundry, cook dinner, fold clothes and talk to friends. With a one year old, I don't have the luxury of relaxing and doing nothing but listening to the stereo for four or five hours. When it is quiet enough for a serious listen, I'm already snoozing.

Sheesh. Try to be diplomatic, and the woodpile starts smoldering. Lots of people buy amps because they have been told by a presumed "in the know" person that this is a great amp. Most people sell amps and speakers because of constraints, not because of sound. I have witnessed this firsthand. In my sound engineer days, I bought and sold over a hundred sets of decent speakers. Most reasons involved too big, too expensive, too something unles it was not enough something. We see it here on the forum, where WAF is the single most discussed roadblock or speedbump known.

Per capita, there is a huge turnover in tube amps. They get shuffled all over the place. There is a burning desire to hear the Mac sound, the SET sound, the vintage Marantz warmth and the Williamson midrange, the KT88 woompf and the 2A3 bloom. As part of this scene, the SET banner is hoisted high by Stereophile, the varied audiophile rags, and many people on the forum. It is a great amp topology when done right. Lots of people plow through ten amps before they hit the ones that bring a smile.

I personally am not about to pull out my Led Zeppelin, MetaLLICA, Van Halen, and Moodly Blues to throw on a SET based system. For how I want to listen, they will not get it done. Been there, tried it, listened with my bud, and we both turned thumbs down. Bluenote or some classical and bluegrass - sure - but with my listening habits, the constraints are too confining. If I had picked up the Moondogs, they would be on the for sale block along with the VOTS. The pricepoint, the crystal clear need for quality, questions about build quality for a pricepoint, and throwing the budget amps on the best speakers Klipsch have all conflict. No BS, no agenda, no provoking, I just want a smile on my face. After nine different types of tube amps, I'm smiling all the time now.9.gif

----------------

On 7/19/2004 9:56:38 PM DeanG wrote:

It's hard telling Rick. Some might move up to some very expensive SET amps, or go in a different direction all together.

It's true that the Wright's and Moondogs don't come up very often -- maybe four times a year. I know -- I'm an Audiogon addict.

----------------

DeanG,

Since as you know and state, Wright's and Moondogs are seldom up for sale, I'm sure he must be addressing the heavy sales volume and dissatisfaction regarding the "So Forths" amps. I heard a rumor that the "So Forths" had poor QC, but I don't know first hand since I have not owned one. I think I'll stick to products I know about. What a concept!

Klipsch out.